• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*smiles* Are you a good red, or a bad red?

• Thread starter imported_OldAsTheHills
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_OldAsTheHills

Ok, Kelmo ... you open this door! Please define your version of good red, and
your version of bad red!
If you lock this, I will just keep posting the same question ,,, ad infinitum!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

M

Masumatek

We can approach this subject two different ways.

First, we can look at it from a roleplay perspective. The perfect example as a good red would be KSS, who went red not from "pking" or "being evil," but went red out of defense of the innocent, justice, honor.....Another example of "good reds" would be when we (me, Gib'dat, and others) roleplayed samurai defending the Tokuno Islands from invasion. We might have killed anyone who invaded and refused to leave, but we were still good reds because it was being done for defense of our homeland, and we were very honorable about it.

"Bad reds" from a roleplay perspective would be what BORG is now. We are the "evil" roleplayers. We are a race of cyborgs on a quest for perfection, assimilating other races into the collective without mercy.

The other way to look at this doesn't consider roleplay.

The "good reds" are those with honor, not necessarily honor having anything to do with roleplay. These reds are good guys. They're not going to rk you without reason, dry loot you, kill your mount, [censored] talk, grief, etc....They're still PKs. But they aren't ass PKs.

The "bad" reds would be the ass reds. They're the griefers/jerks. They're the ones who will dry loot you, rk you, kill your mount, [censored] talk, etc.....

"Good reds" from a RP perspective are the reds with a good purpose, such as justice, or defending their homeland from invasion. The "bad reds" from a RP perspective are those with an evil purpose, such as BORG or vampires. Though imo BORG can also be seen as good in a way since after all we are just trying to improve your quality of life:)

Not considering RP, the "good reds" would be the honorable reds. And the "bad reds" would be the jerks.

I suppose BORG would be good bad reds....since we're honorable reds with evil rp:p.

I hope that helps:). Confusing ain't it? Hehe.

G

LOL this is a good question.

A bad red is one who doesn't even try to give people a chance for a fight. They either never come out solo, NEVER attacks u first even if they know 6 guys are coming to gank you, they will just wait in stealth until the 6 guys arrive before dismounting you JUST before everybody is on screen. A bad red will then [censored] talk you and tell you how horrible of a PVP'er you are, just before running to this forum to make a post of them standing over your corpse solo and pretending like they killed you.

A good red is one who when you are a fighting a 1v1 with as another red, if a stelather blue comes out of NOWHERE to attempt and gank you the red will turn sides and kill the blue ganker before letting another red fighting them solo be killed. A good red will at least ATTEMPT to kill you before calling in ANY kind of backup or letting anybody know where you are, because a good red really wants to make a solo kill. a good red wants to kill everybody at least once and most people a ton of times. a good red will not just run in circles for 2 mins until dismounters are setup. a good red does NOT spend 500k-1 mil on a suit just to spend most of his day on a blue character and only logging on the suited character when 10 other guild members are on. a good red doesn't need uber loot to kill ya. a good red does not use cheats and lie about it enough to make people think they are good. a good red will beat you so badly that the next time you see your mother in real life you feel guilty and dishonored. a good red will tell you what really made you lose the fight because a good red wants to see you get better so he can have a harder fight next time. a good red will rez you if its within his capabilities, i cant tell you how many times i've killed farmers in duengons just to say ' sorry cant rez but i left some stuff on your corpse". a good red WILL leave stuff on your corpse, cuase unless you run exactly the same template as the person there is always stuff you just don't need. A good red will sell you back that blessed item that somehow came unblessed. A good red does not hide behind any other characters and pretend he is good. a good red does not log onto any other account after dying and attempt to save his loot, even more so if this account is a blue tamer. a good red will talk mad amountsof [censored], to all those who oppose him that are not also a good red. a good red doesn't care what you say about them.

i'd like to think of more but im all worn on typing "a good red" cause it simply doesn't exist and hasn't since tamers got pet bonding.

Because no matter how good a red you are, there is some noob **** blue tamer who just bought his account that doesn't know you and can instant kill you with the type of two words. Being a good red doesn't get you anywhere.

P

pikon198

i'm a kool red who just wants to banksit, leave me alone!!! I just like the way my guild tags look in red lol!

G

<blockquote><hr>

your version of bad red!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't mind another opinion. An example of a "good red" is one that stealths up to the evil (red or blue) guild leader's house and camps it until he catches the leader leaving. A click of the pet balls, a quick death strike arrow and an "all kill" later, many deaths have been avenged.

P

Paul the Samurai

very nice post GoodGuy, these were accurate observations,
I myself have never played a blue character. I think of red=free, actions are not defined by rules of the society, but are free choices. It has much more meaning to spare a life out of the guard zone or give back loot, rather then to not kill because "ill turn red if I do". Also as Kelmo implied blue does not equal innocent. Plenty need punishment. Thats right... Judge-Jury-Executioner.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

That was your best post in ages!

[/ QUOTE ]
Goodguy, Masumatek, and your replies I do like! Nothing but clear reason!

*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

I like both Mas and GG responses.

Having been in KSS myself, that was one guild full of folks once many of them quite red rpling good ..also fought good, fought with honor, did not see a need to dryloot, oft res their opponent etc. RED and GOOD and good at what they did.

Often found myself when I was a co GM in NEW told NEWs to ignore hues on Siege. It is meaningless cuz a blue burning counts can butcher em and some red ones prefer challenges and real fights may never even bother with them, on Siege here. I told em first get to know whom the guild tags are..whom the players ARE...whom is or is not an AHOLE out there regardless of roles they playin hue or guild tages,..even if they do kill ya..some do so with rpl and dignity and yeh even honor for their victims...offer em a res and so on.
-------

That said... from the utterly 'feminine perpective'... *cough* I would agree to like my husband oft thinks or says and does.. that the... last man standing IS the victor. There is no need to brag if he is left standing the opponent is dead it is obvious to all whom was better atm.

Thus to me a GOOD red would be one that does not feel some grand 'NEED to come here and post every time they dirtnap someone, no need to, if they GOOD at what they DO ie pvping or murdering...they get known and they are known almost like old dread lords.

For those whom have to do all the ...posting screenies braggin HERE about any time they dirtnap some other guy or guys....well it usually just shouts really loudly, that they 'have a need to have to say something like so...

"I HAVE TO say I won one again...(which may translate into)...guess yu loose so much you HAVE TO...shout &amp; post &amp; take pictures of when yu DO win ? ? ya must suxxors then, or you surely must not be too GOOD at it then to feel the need to HAVE TO BRAG ... about some winz... huh ??

GOOD RED can also simply mean....he that has the rams horns...does not waste time blabbering like a ewe sheep... nope he is good...just like the rams on the mountain...king of the hill wins the right to stand there facing any contenders .. after his wins he silently stands there standing alone king of the hill, the others he beat off were silently put in their place ..........IN THE FIELD.

A Good red don't feel some.. NEED to brag now do he ??

A

AntiOTF

Good Reds: They will kill you no matter who or what you are, be it crafter, mage, tamer, whatever. They will kill you just for the sake of hearing the dieing sound.

A good red will NEVER have under 100 murder counts.
A good red will loot the stinky underwear off your corpse, just becuz he can.
A good red stick his nife in your gutt, after a warm greeting from you.
A good red is not afraid to run solo.
A good red will use proper grammar when [censored] talking and rezz killing you.
A good red will kill any, be it red or blue, human, or elf, and even pack mount, simply because he just don't give a [censored].
A good red wants to see nothing more than your misery on the field, and will do whatever he can to accommodate.

Bad Reds: bad reds are the ones who run around in Luna with their 10 blue tamer buddies spamming bushido spells carrying red bokutos, and wearing fire robes and cloaks.

A Bad red will sit under the luna moongate working off counts.
A Bad red will stealth around waiting for low health victims so he can 1 shot kill them with a high power axe.
A Bad red will farm 12 hours a day with his blue tamer, then show up in luna with ubber gear all of 2 mins per day.
A bad red will be only 1 of 2 templates, either stealth tamer, or necro.
A bad red will join a zerg guild in hopes of having maximum protection, and will never ever run solo.
A Bad red will have horrible grammar when trying to [censored] talk.
A bad red will hold your hand after killing you, and even give you your loot back.

Hope this helps.

C

CorwinWE

<blockquote><hr>

First, we can look at it from a roleplay perspective. The perfect example as a good red would be KSS, who went red not from "pking" or "being evil," but went red out of defense of the innocent, justice, honor.....Another example of "good reds" would be when we (me, Gib'dat, and others) roleplayed samurai defending the Tokuno Islands from invasion. We might have killed anyone who invaded and refused to leave, but we were still good reds because it was being done for defense of our homeland, and we were very honorable about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gah. Sounds like wYrM has infected the shard. From a *roleplay* perspective there is no such thing as red. There is no such thing as blue. You act according to your own set of values and if the gaming system turns you a certain color you're character wouldn't know anything about it.

So whether you're "good" or "bad" depends only on your actions and how they effect others.

From a non-roleplay perspective, you have jerks who have fun making asses of themselves or run their mouths because they're sore losers and you have everyone else. Goodguy naturally gets caught up on things like people ganking, but there's nothing wrong with ganking unless it's being done in a manner that overwhelms and ultimately harms the shard. If you're getting ganked, then you either a) need to find some friends, or b) figure out how to escape or avoid them. It's not hard. But there's nothing inherently wrong with ganking Goodguy since he comes under the category of a sore loser who always runs his mouth...

Siege is all about freedom of action. Right and wrong are not colors.

P

Peddlerpug

<blockquote><hr>

a good red wants to kill everybody at least once and most people a ton of times

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my favortie quote from your post GG, made me chcukle ... Love the post my man. Hehe

M

Masumatek

I never said right and wrong were colors...This thread is only talking about reds though, which is why blues weren't mentioned, though a lot of this discussion applies to blues as well.

As far as this goes:

"From a *roleplay* perspective there is no such thing as red. There is no such thing as blue. You act according to your own set of values and if the gaming system turns you a certain color you're character wouldn't know anything about it."

Yah I agree I guess. Again though, the thread is talking about reds, which I guess is why I got caught up in saying "good red," even though most of this applies to blues as well. You can replace "a good red" or "a bad red" with "a good guy" or "a bad guy." And true I guess RPers don't really make distinctions between colors like red and blue. We don't...we attack anyone, regardless of color.

Though sometimes you have to factor in color. For instance, we require everyone to be red before they're assimilated. The logic behind this is if they aren't eventually red, they're probably not attacking everyone like they should be, or are macroing off counts, so we might as well force them to be red in the beginning, as they will be anyway. We've had too many problems with blues allies in the past to allow any non-red PvPers in our guild. Considering all the advantages blues have, a blue PvPer, even though he's suppose to attack everyone, might be more tempted to focus on the reds than the blues. For instance, in a fight with red and blues against us, our blue PvPer might be attacking the reds first so he doesn't lose his blue advantage, when it might be that the blue we are fighting is a greater threat and needs to be killed first, but our blue focuses on the red because he can't give him counts. Though I guess you'd say we're not real RPers because we force everyone to be red before they join?.....

C

CorwinWE

"Though I guess you'd say we're not real RPers because we force everyone to be red before they join?....."

Nah, I'd say you're not real RPers because you're basing your characters on something completely out of the mid-evil fantasy genre like Star Trek. ;P

But I had a guild mate who had to take counts in order to stay red. Why did he do that? Because he *wanted* to be freely attackable so no one would hesitate to attack him if that's what they wanted to do. He had no interest hiding behind a color. I never would have noticed if he didn't tell me, but his long-term counts usually hovered just over 5. He attacked people who needed to be attacked. He took counts when he needed to take counts, but not everyone gives counts.

That being said, the Shadowclan Orcs did have a rule where new Orcs were supposed to be red when they joined for the same reason my guildmate had. They wanted people to be able to attack them freely. Lack of trust is kind of shabby, but it probably played a part in the Orc's thinking too. It's hard to give out murder counts if the game won't let you. But having your recruits turn red before they join is sort of an OOC thing like requiring them to create a character with a certain name, certain look, certain skill set. That's a fairly minor thing I suppose.

In game actions shouldn't be dictated by color though, and just because a character is red, it doesn't mean he might not be trying avoid taking counts. At some point you still have to judge whether that person is following orders and/or acting in the guild's best interest.

Personally, I've never been afraid to play flagging games. Way way back on LS, I was out with some of my guild mates (we were a blue order guild) and ran in to an enemy guild all out on their non-chaos blue characters doing a treasure map. The gm of that guild was on his cartographer and started laughing at us asking if we were going to pk them. I realized his character wouldn't be carrying anything of value, nor be much of a threat in a fight, so I combo'd him and flagged, and of course all his guild mates attacked me. My guild mates healed me, and they flagged. Some of them got attacked and joined in the fray, and by the time it was over the enemy guild was all dead except for the GM/Cartographer who was accusing us of exploiting and screaming he was calling a game master because he didn't see how we could still all be blue after killing that many players.

It's the end result which counts, but sometimes beating the system makes it all the more memorable.

Fun times.

G

All is black to me.
(which suddenly makes me wonder why blind people have white sticks.
Tis not as if it makes it easier to find in the dark!)

But, I think Mas said it well.
I think the hues here are meaningless. The traditional DnD concepts are far better - lawful good, chaotic evil, etc.

I've nearly made it to red several times, by killing blues who were behaving dishonourably. I just happen to be very bad at killing anything, which is the sole reason I never quite made it - my murder counts generally burn off naturally, without standing around at banks, before I can kill the required number!

(of course, having no night sight, and permanently having dark nights turned on could be a factor.. I can never FIND the person I'm trying to kill!)

C

CorwinWE

I used to belong to and at one point became the GM of a guild called the Skara Brae Rangers (SBR) aka "The Lootless Army". The exploits of this guild are documented in google groups for all times thanks to the rec.games.computer.ultima-online newsgroup.

The motto we finally settled on for the guild was simply "We kill jerks".

Sort of a chaotic-good stance, but really it was more of an OOC thing. We fought PKs as part of our mission; but our main goal was to try to do something about the griefers, cheaters, and asses.

We had some successes but it's hard to make a dent in a problem that big in the game, the true success story of the guild was that it brought in a lot of non-pvp'ers and taught them they could fight back. "Evil" guilds can do the same thing in their own way.

So no, I wouldn't necessarily team up with a red I was fighting to kill a blue who butted in like someone mentioned unless I really didn't like that blue or he was doing something annoying. It seemed nearly the whole shard (Siege) would team up together to fight off a band of griefers.

There are no hard and set rules of behavior for blues or reds, freedom is about playing your character the way you want and siding with who you want when you want. So I was sort of chaotic-neutral when I played on Siege, but I don't think that's even a very good fit for some of the decisions I'd make; and of course how we see ourselves isn't always how others see us.

P

pikon198

i been playing a red for one day now and its fricken rough, better to play naked cause it seems everytime a tamer comes to visit the bank they take a shot at you, even if you just got rezzed! Havin one account doesnt help much either, cant even buy boots and short pants from the npc vendors when i rez cause it seems people are in DIRE NEEED of having my brown boots and blue short pants... every fricken body who takes my boots better damn well use em!! by the by i guess this makes me a bad red lol

G

I am 100% certain that there are others who will give far better advice than I can, since, as I've stated, my path to redness has been blocked by the fact that I am not capable of staying alive long enough to kill more than 4 people in a year.

However...

Banking for reds:
1. If you have stealth, use it.
2. Don't go to Luna to bank.
3. Don't emerge from a moongate in the middle of a bank.
4. Bank somewhere quiet. Buc's Den is probably a good choice. I rarely find anyone else there. *waits for stampede of Otto killers to arrive at Buc's Den bank*

Supplies for reds:
1. You're red. If you need something, find someone who has it. Check to see if you feel that:
1.a. That person deserves to die by whatever standards you adhere to.
1.b. You stand more than a 50% chance of killing that person.
1.c. The item in question isn't blessed.

2. 90% of all in-game, non-craftable items can be obtained from monsters. If any red scribe actually attains GM purely by using scrolls taken from monsters, then that person needs to be locked away somewhere for the good of society, but things such as boots are incredibly easy to get.

3. Get a couple of soulstones, and learn a craft.
4. FInd a guild which is prepared to supply you.

Social graces for reds:
1. Burping after eating your victim is NOT considered good manners.
2. Looting ladies garments is considered rude, unless, of course, you are a lady, or just think that you look good in a skirt.
3. Do unto others.
4. Have fun. If you find that making others TRULY miserable is fun, you probably need help. No, not help making them miserable, the other kind of help.
5. Have fun.
6. Have fun.

C

Calibretto

<blockquote><hr>

LOL this is a good question.

A bad red is one who doesn't even try to give people a chance for a fight. They either never come out solo, NEVER attacks u first even if they know 6 guys are coming to gank you, they will just wait in stealth until the 6 guys arrive before dismounting you JUST before everybody is on screen. A bad red will then [censored] talk you and tell you how horrible of a PVP'er you are, just before running to this forum to make a post of them standing over your corpse solo and pretending like they killed you.

A good red is one who when you are a fighting a 1v1 with as another red, if a stelather blue comes out of NOWHERE to attempt and gank you the red will turn sides and kill the blue ganker before letting another red fighting them solo be killed. A good red will at least ATTEMPT to kill you before calling in ANY kind of backup or letting anybody know where you are, because a good red really wants to make a solo kill. a good red wants to kill everybody at least once and most people a ton of times. a good red will not just run in circles for 2 mins until dismounters are setup. a good red does NOT spend 500k-1 mil on a suit just to spend most of his day on a blue character and only logging on the suited character when 10 other guild members are on. a good red doesn't need uber loot to kill ya. a good red does not use cheats and lie about it enough to make people think they are good. a good red will beat you so badly that the next time you see your mother in real life you feel guilty and dishonored. a good red will tell you what really made you lose the fight because a good red wants to see you get better so he can have a harder fight next time. a good red will rez you if its within his capabilities, i cant tell you how many times i've killed farmers in duengons just to say ' sorry cant rez but i left some stuff on your corpse". a good red WILL leave stuff on your corpse, cuase unless you run exactly the same template as the person there is always stuff you just don't need. A good red will sell you back that blessed item that somehow came unblessed. A good red does not hide behind any other characters and pretend he is good. a good red does not log onto any other account after dying and attempt to save his loot, even more so if this account is a blue tamer. a good red will talk mad amountsof [censored], to all those who oppose him that are not also a good red. a good red doesn't care what you say about them.

i'd like to think of more but im all worn on typing "a good red" cause it simply doesn't exist and hasn't since tamers got pet bonding.

Because no matter how good a red you are, there is some noob **** blue tamer who just bought his account that doesn't know you and can instant kill you with the type of two words. Being a good red doesn't get you anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

That just about sums it up.

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

i been playing a red for one day now and its fricken rough, better to play naked cause it seems everytime a tamer comes to visit the bank they take a shot at you, even if you just got rezzed! Havin one account doesnt help much either, cant even buy boots and short pants from the npc vendors when i rez cause it seems people are in DIRE NEEED of having my brown boots and blue short pants... every fricken body who takes my boots better damn well use em!! by the by i guess this makes me a bad red lol

[/ QUOTE ]
Just don't bank sit and your problem is solved!

I just went red a few days ago and I don't notice any difference from being orange. I am still in danger everywhere. At least if I die to a blue I don't go into stat loss though.

P

pikon198

yea its tough i like to chat up a storm at the bank, and then in walks (ex.) guardian kx and BAM! im talking OoOooooOOO.... it's tough being a savy pirate but somones gotta do it.

C

CorwinWE

Well it was even more fun back before reds could enter a town and red wandering healers would all get killed off or led off. Most reds had access to a blue account to use when they needed to get supplies or needed to get gated out of somewhere, but lacking that the best answer has always been to keep your own house stocked. Have a plan for getting rezzed where ever you happen to travel. Have a means to get back back home and take advantage of vendors.

It was a lot more understandable when a solo blue would stay blue back then, there was a lot of support apparatus that needed to be put in place to be a successful red. And of course the primary goal of Siege was always to strongly encourage players to band together. Still there were always some reds living in poverty begging for a bag of reagents or a rez and a gate. Kind of embarrassing.

I personally never looked for a rez or a gate off another player because I felt a responsibility not to backstab someone who did me a favor. Besides why wait around until they're done looting just to grab the few useless items when I could be figuring out how to quickly rez myself, grab a few supplies, and get back in time to exact revenge and get my stuffs back and theirs too!

He who wins last wins best.

N

Nerf-Herder

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk to Queen Zen, Maleeka, or Molly Fyde. I bet any of those three would be happy to begin selling short pants and pirate gear on their vendors if they do not already do so.

D

Dark_Schneider

<blockquote><hr>

your version of bad red!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to think when I was a red way back in the day i was a "good" one. People who showed me respect always received the same.

If someone never looted me, I'd not loot them, and if i respected them I'd usually rez them, if it was during a big battle tho you gotta wait till its ova!

I think the people that say reds need to dry loot and all that, well, thats their version. I think in a community like this it's possible to be the evil char and still not be an a-hole.

Also, there are many Blues that grief just as much as the mean red guys heh.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

I myself have never played a blue character. I think of red=free, actions are not defined by rules of the society, but are free choices. It has much more meaning to spare a life out of the guard zone or give back loot, rather then to not kill because "ill turn red if I do". Also as Kelmo implied blue does not equal innocent. Plenty need punishment. Thats right... Judge-Jury-Executioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill say it once as ive said it a bunch before.

You get 5 murder counts as a blue until you go red... that means 4 are free. There isn't a situation you could give me for a reason that someone's walking around perma red other than from an RP standpoint.

and even then... from my standpoint towards the RPer... is that I'm the bad guy. I'll be the bad guy... I'm a noto pk and I'm blue.

and I have counts for those worth it... (noticed I said worth it.)

Consider me an upstart citizen of Britannia...

PIRATE ADVENTURER BR HAILS THEE!!

all hail lord british!!!

C

CorwinWE

<blockquote><hr>

I think the people that say reds need to dry loot and all that, well, thats their version. I think in a community like this it's possible to be the evil char and still not be an a-hole.

Also, there are many Blues that grief just as much as the mean red guys heh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, but it tends to wash out all the same eventually. You rez kill someone because they came back when a fight was going on, so they rez kill you the next time they get the chance, so you rez kill them, dry loot them, turn their horse in to a pinata, release all their secures, and hack their bank account!!!

It's a never ending cycle of grief!

Well, unless you have limits...

G

wud dat meen ? me guud me am ! wel mabby me clomp sum minurz but me cook dem like me momo told me tu. me nub scary am me ?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

ill say it once as ive said it a bunch before.

You get 5 murder counts as a blue until you go red... that means 4 are free. There isn't a situation you could give me for a reason that someone's walking around perma red other than from an RP standpoint.

and even then... from my standpoint towards the RPer... is that I'm the bad guy. I'll be the bad guy... I'm a noto pk and I'm blue.

and I have counts for those worth it... (noticed I said worth it.)

Consider me an upstart citizen of Britannia...

PIRATE ADVENTURER BR HAILS THEE!!

all hail lord british!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly our point, some people are gimps and some people actually play UO. At least you admit you're a weak gimp noto!

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

"Exactly our point, some people are gimps and some people actually play UO. At least you admit you're a weak gimp noto! "

And... this thread WAS doing so well. Kelmo... please lock!
I got the relies I ask for.
Thanks everyone.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix