• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Smelting vs. Leather and Boards, what do you think!

G

This game is constantly changing and being updated. Why not revamp the Smelting rates? I was fine with it back in the day, if you wanted Valorite ingots, you could pull out your trusty rune book containing Val spots and mine away.

Now that Ore has been randomized it is much harder to just find Val.

Additionally, I do not like the inequality compared to other resourse gathering, One Axe chop yeilds 10 or 11 logs, which can be used in log form, so no need to make boards if you do not want to or cannot. And tailoring yeilds up to 60 hides per creature, that can also be used in thier raw form to craft, but why would you when there is NO SKILL needed to produce cut leather, even from Barbed leather.

Lets face it, what is the rational in failing smelting? Just to make the high end ores more rare? then why not do it to wood and leather too? I would not like to see that, as I am sure most others would not, so lets go in the other direction and make smelting always succeed. After all what is the difference between smelting Iron and Valorite? You melt the Ore down and skim off the slag, then form into ingots. Why should one fail on any ore?

E

eolsunder1

I have to agree, its kinda annoying that leather and wood is treated.

1) I believe you cannot use pure ore for crafting, it HAS to be changed into ingots. Where as with wood and leather I think you can use either the gathered form or the changed form.

2) Leather and wood are not lost or have a chance for losing material when changing over. Ore does at higher levels. Change 10k frostwood logs into boards, you get 10k boards. Change 10k valorite ore into ingots.. loss.

It should all be the same. You need to have ALL 3 gathered resources usuable as raw form, or unusuable. If they are unusuable, then all 3 need to be "converted" into usuable form to be used. Hides into leather, logs into boards, ore into ingots.

Mining to change ore, lumberjack to change logs, and something else to change hides. And if you have a chance to lose, you need all 3 to have a chance, not just ingots.

K

Karthcove

<blockquote><hr>

Mining to change ore...

[/ QUOTE ]

A "real life" blacksmith is able to convert ore and smelt their waste into workable metal. Both skills should be able to accomplish ore conversion and the smithy should be the only skill which can smelt waste. IMO.

I

imported_Coppelia

You just "forgot" prospector tools and gargoyles pickaxes. Hypocrits.

G

Not nice! go do some mining or are you past that?
I Agree that all resorce items should be similar in preperation

G

What do those have to do with converting ore into Ingots?

Or are you trying to say that there should be something similar for wood gathering? which I COMPLETELY agree with. Make prospectors tools for lumberjacking and special axes for bumping wood by one level, they could be additional quest rewards from Heartwood.

I

imported_Coppelia

What does it have to do? Hello it's a whole system.

They've been designed as different systems for good or bad reasons, and devs have been unsuccessful to change them. How many time did we hear "there will be a crafting overhaul, soon™"?
If you want them to be similar, don't forget very important elements. It's still fun to mine, you still get all the valorite you should get (recall mining never been ok for me). Now Lumberjacking is for bots. As are Heartwood quests.
Oh and don't forget that the Lumberjack can't make planks. The Carpenter can. Planks reduce the weight to a half. Smelting reduces the weight to a 60th with a risk of failure. If you don't have Carpentry on your Lumberjack, you keep the wood at full weight. Miners have fire beetle so they don't even have to think about going back to bank/house before a while.
Which system to you want to take?

And leather gathering can't be compared : you have to kill mobs. There's no Skinning skill to do it safely. And basically you can't get barbed hide with a crafter, so most of tailors rely on another character. If you place Tailoring on a hunter, you'll understand that while Blacksmiths and Carpenters only need one other skill to gather ressource safely, Tailors need a full skillset to be able to kill the mobs. So of course they need to get more than those picking their nose in front of a mountain or a tree.

You want systems to be the same? Fine, but be coherent.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are alot of differences between ore/ingots, logs/boards, and hides/leather.

Ore to Ingots: Requires 1 skilll (mining). The resulting ingots weigh 1/10th of a stone, so you can carry up to 5,500 ingots at a time. Your chances of successfully turning ore into ingots changes as the ore type moves up the scale and your mining skill climbs to 105 (with the +5 gloves).

Logs to Boards: Requires Lumberjacking to gather the logs, but the carpenter skill is required to convert colored logs into boards. Boards weigh 1 stone so you can carry up to 550 boards at a time. You will not fail when converting logs to boards with carpenter skill.

Hides to Leather: Requires PvM template to gather hides. Normally this cannot be done by your crafter. Each piece of leather weighs 1 stone, so you can carry up to 550 pieces of leather at a time. Converting to leather is guaranteed as long as you have a pair of scissors, a Butcher's War Cleaver, or skinning knife.

So while ore isn't guaranteed to smelt, you only need 1 skill to gather and smelt and ingots only weigh 1/10th as much as a board or piece of leather.

I think it all balances out as-is.

G

Perhaps my perspective on mining is a bit different. I currently play on Siege, there are no double resources anywhere and without recall, we do not seem to have any "bot" miners, so it is virtually impossible to even find ingots for sale. And for those that do not know, the NPC smiths do not sell ingots on Siege.

I

imported_xStrikerx

That sounds like a good business opportunity...being the only ingot seller could net you lots of gold.

G

Careful, I made a post on the same topic yesterday and it got moved to spiels and rants.