• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Smelting talismans?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if I'm doing this the best way, but I collected bods (smith & tinker) that will get me 3 of the resource maps (agapite) and one that will get me the matching talisman, filled the bods and claimed them from a Felucca town. I then dug the maps while wearing the talisman. The talisman ran out with 15 uses left on the third map and netted me in total 2964 agapite ingots.

I plan to use the same basic method for lumberjack when I need boards.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you can pre-locate the right trees with a good output, you can make your BODs go further by just getting the talismans.

I "prospected" Eodon for colored wood trees of the types corresponding to talismans, and was able to use a Yew Talisman and a higher one (see my own post on the subject), with only the Yew trees crapping out. And, since almost no one attempts Eodon logging (due to the difficulty in targeting the region's trees), I'll probably be set for a while.

Of course, gold talismans are best used farming ore elementals in Blakthorn's, not with mining (with or without maps). I was able to use up 2 gold talismans there in less than 2 hours.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You could be right - but trees will not always re-spawn with the same wood? I've not tried a lumberjack map, but the Agapite mining maps allow you to get the whole quantity from the one location. The quantities vary, not quite sure of the range, but 240 or so digs of agapite in the same place? In Felucca that's 480 large ore.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So far, in Eodon, the trees I've been finding have been giving 36 or more chops each with a Human. Some have been giving 70-100 chops, and a couple (that are oak or ash, currently) given even more.

And, I was able to find 3-5 Frostwood, Bloodwood, & Heartwood trees each in just the area between the bridge to the Dragon Turtle, the Kotl entrance, and the Barako village. And double that for Yew. So far, only the Yew trees have changed. All you need is to get 3 trees (2 if you're lucky) and a single talisman is used up after going to each tree twice, which gives a very low chance for there to be a change.

But, for the ores, yes, the map+talisman is good for verite and valorite. For gold, you are better off farming the elementals with the talisman, and for agapite you're almost better off also farming the gold elementals, and using one of the transmutation cauldrons to turn it into a 1/3 as much agapite. I've done the Agapite map+talisman in fel once, and my results were comparable in effort to using the cauldron - and had half or more of the cauldron charges left.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Do the quantity of uses change by type? I cashed in for a gold smelting talisman and surprised it had 6000 uses on it. I was expecting a lot less.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Thanks, Petra. I used to feel I knew everything about this game, but I was away for nearly 10 years. Never knew the existed before the BOD patch.

Sent from mTalk