• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Smelting NPC bought Weapons?

K

Kargad

Seeing the price of normal Ingots skyrocket recently, I have, perhaps, a dumb observation. If you buy, say, a lot of Dagger (15gp) or Short Spears (13gp) from NPC Vendor Shops, you can run these through a Salvage Bag to get 2 Ingots...thus cutting the price of Ingots down to ~6gp/per. Is it just the sheer monotony of purchasing and Salvaging these from the various shops that prevents the overall cost of Iron Ingots from dropping dramatically?

K

Kallie Pigeon

I thought they had made it so you only get one ingot from npc bought items. Not so? Long ago you got more ingots. Yeah I don't know but if you look around you should find ingots at that price eventually in bathces of 500 from the npc smiths

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, you can't get jack from smelting the NPC-sold items.

Much better is to smelt metal LOOT (like from level 1 T-maps or bone knights)

And, while the invasionas are going on, if you catch a smith right after an invasion is defeated (and it reverts to normal), it will have ingots at the default 8 per for the first 1000 - be sure to stock up while you can...

K

Kallie Pigeon

YOu probably can't do this anymore because no one sells weapons to the npc anymore but I used to go and item id all the items in the provisioners shop and the smiths to see if a nice weapons was turned in. Often you would find nice maces probably because no one used them much but once in a while a nice bow or sword or fencing weapon. Ahh how things have changed. Now everyone can id every item.

5% Luck

Ive read alot of players buying the arors from npc's to fill in the 20N iron bods and say thats cheaper then buying the ingots so I assume(without testing) you are right. Its a matter of finding the best item suited to the task. That is if you plan on resale. If you dont then Id sugest buying the actual item you were looking for.

Keep me posted if you find that "magic item" that provides the cheapest ingots for under 8-12 gold per Id love to hear it!

O

Old Man of UO

There are a few places where you can still buy ingots from NPCs for the base price of 8gp... the vendor in Prism of Light for example. There are actually quite a few places and you can get an almost unlimited supply at that price.