• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Slayer Instruments?

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hello bards! We keep reading different things in different places, regarding the effect of Slayer Instruments. We particularly get confused about whether or not Slayer instruments used on random other critters (so not the correct group but also not the opposite group) drop the success chance by 20%?

The FAQ here states: "Regardless of the name on the instrument (Dismissal, Slaughter, Slaying, Ban, etc.) the instrument adds the same 20% chance to succeed when used against the correct monster. That is a very important point, as using an enchanted instrument against any creature the instrument is not meant for reduces the chance to succeed by 20%!"

So it gives the impression it does drop success chance against random critters? Same as the UOGuide page seems to indicate on the Provocation page. "A Slayer Instrument adds 20% to your success chance if the creature type matches, or removes 20% if it doesn't match."

BUT, Stratics mentions: "Slayer Instruments will decrease your success chance by 20% when used on the creatures from its opposing group." So only the opposing group then? Also when using the Barding calculator it seems a Lizardman slaying instrument has the same result as a normal instrument on a lich? So that made us wonder, can only Super Slayer instruments be opposing and thus useful for training purposes? Just wondering whether to throw out all the triple, fourth etc. extra slayer instruments like Lizardman and Troll etc...

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't help you with "official" numbers regarding this, however:

I have fought relatively hard foes of a few different slayer groupings/non slayer creatures and would use
the slayer of the "hardest" foe that was in the area. Would think I would notice if doing so would drop the
success rate of everything else by 20% in the room and not just the opposing slayer group if one was in the mix.

For instance, doing the Renowned Wyvern spawn, when the Wyvern comes out I would switch to a dragon
slayer instrument, but did not notice a huge drop on success rates for the pesky Servants that are there as
compared to using an exceptional instrument.

I would still fail occasionally on a Servant with 120 pure bard using an exceptional instrument. Would switch
to a dragon/reptile slayer when Wyvern spawned and did not notice a huge difference in success rate for the Servants.
(plus 10% success bonus down to a negative 20%)
and would only notice a small difference on them.

Hope that helps.