• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skills question

Tanth

Visitor
I am a newly returned player after a long time away and I was wondering if there is any difference between real skill and skill from items? Is there any benefits to real skill, and if so is there a list or chart somewhere about which skills are better "real"?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am a newly returned player after a long time away and I was wondering if there is any difference between real skill and skill from items? Is there any benefits to real skill, and if so is there a list or chart somewhere about which skills are better "real"?
Real skill does affect masteries and other things

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
all main skills should be real like taming/lore but yes main point as Anon said would be for masteries you use imo. jewls there is couple cool builds u could make using them but they are mainly going to a pvp template imo...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can make some really versatile PvM templates with jewelry. But I will agree that you need to keep the skills the masteries check as real skill.

For weapon skills, the real skill required for special moves was lowered, so you can use a lot more Tactics jewelry, for example.

I have several characters that have 805-840 skill points due to Jewelry and other +skill items (some talismans, , spellbooks, clothing, and armor pieces give skill, the latter two categories being loot drops like artifacts).

For example, my main tamer/bard has Taming mastery, but thanks to jewelry, talisman, spellbook, and another item or two has 6x120, and 100 magery (120 real taming, Lore and Provo, 120 with equipment Music, Disco and Vet).
My Taming/TH is similar (760 points), with real skills 120 Taming, 120 Lore, 100 Cartography, 100 LP, 100 Remove Trap, with 120 Vet and 100 magery via equipment bonuses.
My main spellcaster has 770 points (50 from items, but 10 is in a skill I don't use) is 120 Magery (real), 120 Mysticism (+20 Ring), 120 Spellweaving (real), 120 Focus (+10 from Talisman), 120 Eval (real), and (depending on configuration at the time) either 120 Fishing (real) & 40 Med, or 100 Inscription (real) & 60 Med (10 of the med, and an additional +10 Resist Spells, on Ring).
The highest skill totals are on my melee characters, including a Blacksmith/miner that's a chiv/Macer, that goes out deliberately mining for paragon ore elementals in Ilshenar.