• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skilling healing on a pet

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
in the 80s.
I was a ghost for hours, and the skill moved only 0.7
How do I get that to budge from 80 to 100?
from 100-110?
from 110-120?

Dimax

Adventurer
Professional
Supporter
Ideas there.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
110-120: What I do is the following.

1. Discord the pet (either with the tamer, or someone grouped/allied that can target it with negative actions), with someone invising the bard quickly to break the aggro then the bard immediately moving, breaking the invis to keep the discord active. This gets the Healing skill down to where it will get gains. DO NOT remount, if it's a ridable pet.
2. Invoke the humility virtue, which drops you and your pet's resists by 70. That way, it will have a lot more damage to heal.
3. Gate/recall to a spot with the spellweaving elf bandits or orc mages (like the places on the Umbra-to-Luna road). The bard (if not the tamer) will need to come along as well and stay visible and within visual range of the pet at all times.
4. Let the pet have his way with the bandits, calling it back for some healing (or using distance healing like the taming or provo masteries) if its healing can't keep up. Do that for an hour or more. You'll probably max out the virtue in 2-4 hours, if you want that for your Virtue Wheel.

Gains will be slow - but you'll actually get gains.

Branden

Journeyman
5 slimes or snakes work good just bond them have the cu stay n tell the slimes to attack it. Sit back n wait

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I just used Rotting Corpses all the way. Paragon ones for 115+. Just tell the pet "all stop" and "all stay" pet just stands and heals, never attacks.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
5 slimes or snakes work good just bond them have the cu stay n tell the slimes to attack it. Sit back n wait
Yep. I have an EJ Tamer that has 5 Snakes/Slimes in the stables, all trained up to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning, just for training Healing on pets. They constantly inflict Lethal Poison (Lvl 5), and will keep the pet gaining up to 110.0 Healing. At that point, i discord the Healing pet, and pull off all but one or two Snakes/Slimes (more than that outdamages the healing/regen of the pet). Takes me 4-5 hours to go from fresh-spawn level Healing, to 120 on a pet that way.

Branden

Journeyman
Tell the healing pet to stay n have the slime attack it. The healing pet will just heal while the snakes/slimes attack the pet in return they will raise skills as they inflicted poison n DONT forget to do consume to help skill gains won’t take long to GM the snakes n/or slimes

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
I tried taming slimes and they can't be tamed? What am I missing here - I was thinking just going to the underworld and fighting whatever is spawned. But I do like the idea of having trained up slimes.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I tried taming slimes and they can't be tamed? What am I missing here - I was thinking just going to the underworld and fighting whatever is spawned. But I do like the idea of having trained up slimes.
You can't tame the Slimes in the Underworld. You can tame them in a Swamp.

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
I'm trying to raise healing on my Cu so I went to Dimo island - gathered up two dimetrosaurs and she's getting poisoned often. Healing has been stuck for 30ish minutes at 99.2. She's scrolled 110 in healing. I tried disco'ing her a few times and everything, but healing went down. Will keep at it for a bit but was wondering if anyone knew anything which might help?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All these are great tricks but if only all skill in uo would gain correctly through normal game play... i remember telling my 12 year old son yes get a dagger and govto sheep pen to train parry...

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
110-120: What I do is the following.

1. Discord the pet (either with the tamer, or someone grouped/allied that can target it with negative actions), with someone invising the bard quickly to break the aggro then the bard immediately moving, breaking the invis to keep the discord active. This gets the Healing skill down to where it will get gains. DO NOT remount, if it's a ridable pet.
2. Invoke the humility virtue, which drops you and your pet's resists by 70. That way, it will have a lot more damage to heal.
3. Gate/recall to a spot with the spellweaving elf bandits or orc mages (like the places on the Umbra-to-Luna road). The bard (if not the tamer) will need to come along as well and stay visible and within visual range of the pet at all times.
4. Let the pet have his way with the bandits, calling it back for some healing (or using distance healing like the taming or provo masteries) if its healing can't keep up. Do that for an hour or more. You'll probably max out the virtue in 2-4 hours, if you want that for your Virtue Wheel.

Gains will be slow - but you'll actually get gains.
Discoing a pet doesn't lower the healing skill.

berrya

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. I have an EJ Tamer that has 5 Snakes/Slimes in the stables, all trained up to 125 DEX/GM Wrest/GM Poisoning, just for training Healing on pets. They constantly inflict Lethal Poison (Lvl 5), and will keep the pet gaining up to 110.0 Healing. At that point, i discord the Healing pet, and pull off all but one or two Snakes/Slimes (more than that outdamages the healing/regen of the pet). Takes me 4-5 hours to go from fresh-spawn level Healing, to 120 on a pet that way.
How do you have 5 bonded pets and a cu out at the same time ?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm in the process of training up my 5 snakes. It's a very slow process.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I'm in the process of training up my 5 snakes. It's a very slow process.
Not very slow. And slimes need lower taming /lore by the way.
First you need slime /snake stamina at 120 . You do it raising resist.
Cast paralyze fields in FEL with another account having 0 EvaInt . Run over them with slimes.
Or use Ortanord in TerMur to train all 5 (you will need to heal them)

Branden

Journeyman
I just used my slimes once they bonded on the thing I wanted to train healing took a bit but It worked n it fully trained them

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not very slow. And slimes need lower taming /lore by the way.
First you need slime /snake stamina at 120 . You do it raising resist.
Cast paralyze fields in FEL with another account having 0 EvaInt . Run over them with slimes.
Or use Ortanord in TerMur to train all 5 (you will need to heal them)
While Slimes require lower Taming/Lore, they also have 1-5 Base Damage. Snakes have 1-4 Base Damage, so are slightly safer to use on a pet.

Yes, it's best to reach 120+ Stamina on them before you start training their Wrest up. You can do this with Spectral Spellbinders in New Haven. Once a pet maxes it's Resist skill, it's STR/DEX will skyrocket up to 125 if it keeps getting spammed with resistable spells. Doesn't take that long for a single pet (especially with the use of Whispering), but having to do it individually for 5 pets can take a couple hours.
It takes awhile to set up 5 Slimes/Snakes with 120+ Stamina/GM Wrest/GM Poison, but once you do have them, you can use them to quickly train another account's pets up to 120 Healing pretty fast, whether it's your own pets or a guildmate's. The more pets you train to 120 Healing with them, the more value and time saved you get by having these five Snakes/Slimes. So basically a high upfront time investment, that ends up saving you a lot more time in the long run, especially if you use them to train Healing on multiple pets.

I usually use a disarmed Gregorio for training Wrest/Tact on pets with low Wrest/Tact skills, then Discord the pets once their Wrest/Tact gets too high, and then they can start gaining Wrest/Tact again (oftentimes up to GM then). Gregorio is perfect for training Anatomy/Poison/Magic skills on too, due to his immunity to pet damage and when disarmed his low Wrest makes him easy to land hits on (he dishes out virtually no damage too when disarmed).

Another trick to training, is having an Archer in party running "Play the Odds" on cooldown to buff the pets. With 120 Archery/GM Tact/Lvl 3 Primer, Play the Odds will provide +45% HCI/+30% SSI to party (and their pets) for 60 seconds, with a 90 second cooldown (so 2/3 uptime). Pets will successfully land hits much more often due to the +45% HCI (and therefore get more chances to gain skill), and the +30% SSI will allow even sub-150 Stamina pets to reach max swing speed (once again accelerating the rate of skill gain). The +HCI/+SSI also helps counteract the debuffs from Discordance on your pet.

Last edited: