• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Skill Gain and Skill Items / Stat Questions

P

Papadom

Should I remove my skill gain items when trying to gain real skill? I have a tamer with 95 taming and use skill gain items to raise it above 100. Should I remove those items when trying to GM taming?

Is there a way to tell if you have a stat scroll installed on your char? I have been gone from UO for about 2 years and I don't remember I had upgraded my stats.

Also is this a good stat combination for a mage/tamer(PVM)
Str:99
Dex:10
Int:121

What would a good combination of stats?

Thanks

Y

YellowStarS2k

If you use jewels to increase your taming, you will need to tame creatures that are on par with your displayed skill, not real skill. Gaining will still happen but usually will be slower.

Go to your skills gump, and on the bottom you will see "show caps" This will tell you what your caps for each skill are.

Max int
10 dex
rest in str

This works well unless you run around a lot without a mount (ie with a greater dragon), in which case, you may want to put a couple more points in dex.

P

Papadom

Thanks for the info!

So, you can't use a mount when you control a Greater Drag?

U

uoBuoY

Thanks for the info!

So, you can't use a mount when you control a Greater Drag?
Can't have any other pet when the Greater is out of the stable.

Keep in mind, the higher your effective skill (real + bonuses) the slower you will gain.

To make gains easier, SoulStone all skills other than Taming, Lore and Vet. At the very least you'll get 3-4 GGS per day but I feel that I gain faster overall when my total skills are under 350.

This taming gain calculator has helped me a lot:
http://www.tamingarchive.com/main/whattotame.php?skill=98.2

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should I remove my skill gain items when trying to gain real skill? I have a tamer with 95 taming and use skill gain items to raise it above 100. Should I remove those items when trying to GM taming?

Is there a way to tell if you have a stat scroll installed on your char? I have been gone from UO for about 2 years and I don't remember I had upgraded my stats.

Also is this a good stat combination for a mage/tamer(PVM)
Str:99
Dex:10
Int:121

What would a good combination of stats?

Thanks
I do not believe your total stats indicate you have used any stat scrolls.

To check Skills, use the Skill Gump and click on Caps (Skill Caps).

I think better distribution of Stats might be

Str(110 or 115)
Int(110 or 105)

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To make gains easier, SoulStone all skills other than Taming, Lore and Vet. At the very least you'll get 3-4 GGS per day but I feel that I gain faster overall when my total skills are under 350.
Are Lore and Vet required to gain in Taming at high levels? My taming is 108.9 and it's raising dreadfully slow. My Lore and Vet are 120. What would happen if I Soulstone Vet and Lore to drop my total skill level below 350? Would my Taming gain any faster? Or does taming gain depend on Lore/Vet skill?

U

uoBuoY

Are Lore and Vet required to gain in Taming at high levels? My taming is 108.9 and it's raising dreadfully slow. My Lore and Vet are 120. What would happen if I Soulstone Vet and Lore to drop my total skill level below 350? Would my Taming gain any faster? Or does taming gain depend on Lore/Vet skill?
Taming + Lore = Control
Lore and Vet = Heal/Rez

I'm not sure how it would work with no Lore. It is, however, recommended to lock Lore 100.0

Here is a table of GGS gain times:
http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/ggs.shtml

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure how it would work with no Lore. It is, however, recommended to lock Lore 100.0
well, for training purposes, i dumped lore and vet to soulstones to lower my total skill cap, and been gaining taming skill steadily. up to 112 now :) so it works fine to dump those 2 skills completely while you train.