• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Skating rink on Europa?

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My son and I are dabbling with the idea of organizing some type of monthly player event and he suggested creating a public skating rink using "An Icy Patch" pieces on the floor of our castle and having races sometimes.

I thought this sounded brilliant and immediately set out searching for this topic in the forums. I soon found out that skating rinks were no new idea to UO and that there seems to be rinks on Legends, Catskills and Atlantic. But the big question is:

Are there any "public skating rinks" on Europa currently or being planned by someone? The last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes or mess up anyone's plans!

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any "public skating rinks" on Europa currently or being planned by someone? The last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes or mess up anyone's plans!
I remember something like that on EA&A auction house where we tried to see how many times we can circle around without falling but it was during last winter. I think you should go for it, if someone is already planning it, we will have two skating rings on Europa which is really not a bad thing if you think about it.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like great fun! Go for it!

I didnt even know you were playing UO Saphireena! Maybe you remember Mim the Beuty?

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How could I forget Mim and her gorgeous furnishings!

I've never shut my accounts but my activity comes and goes. :)

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I remeber looking for your Trinsic castle but I didnt find it so I thought..

So good to hear! I had no break longer than 3 days yet.:p

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice to hear the game continues to keep you so engaged and entertained. I think part of the reason I have tried to keep UO on the light side for myself, is because I noticed that getting so worked up about the graphics issues was not good for me. I felt too passionately about it hehe.

I still have my other castle which is north east of Vesper:

Andrea's Ultima Online page > Big Mamas Apartmentos > General > Map & Location

However my son is more active so I let him do what he wants with it. But if we decide to make that skating rink, I'll probably redecorate. One thing that still leaves doubts is the fact that castle tile floors cannot be modified to be the snow tiles, so the slippery ice pieces will look a little bit silly on the dark grey stone tiles. :-/ (Unless of course EA has made a change to this and allows modification of castles if even only the tiles)

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However my son is more active so I let him do what he wants with it. But if we decide to make that skating rink, I'll probably redecorate. One thing that still leaves doubts is the fact that castle tile floors cannot be modified to be the snow tiles, so the slippery ice pieces will look a little bit silly on the dark grey stone tiles. :-/ (Unless of course EA has made a change to this and allows modification of castles if even only the tiles)
What you could try is making the borderless goza mats in white cloth. I've made a snowrink before and even using snow tiles, The patches are really visible (I was aiming to hide them). So bare that in mind.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahhh the infamous red sheep. :D Thanks for that! A nice read, I'm considering adding events from before the EM system but I think at the moment I'd like to get the 2003-2008 EM events added first.

Thanks however, I have bookmarked your site for future use! :)

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I still have a few of those red sheep hidden away in the stables, but Shhhh don't tell anyone! *looks around*