• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Since the new taming has arrived... doe anyone have a new favorite pet and why?

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Right now I have the midnight blue lesser hiryu I think is pretty cool and they are so much better now

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My favorite all around pet is the AI Naja. That pois immunity and the resist spells makes it easy on the tamer.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My favorite all around pet is the AI Naja. That pois immunity and the resist spells makes it easy on the tamer.
Been actually thinking about that and was thinking that if I gave my tamer Mysticism went into Stone Form then BOTH of us would be immune to poison! And we could rock things that would make most others ill...

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
the Najasaurus reminds me of that Kepetch thing in Ter Mur... they look the same but I see where the poison and high resist would be good

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Been actually thinking about that and was thinking that if I gave my tamer Mysticism went into Stone Form then BOTH of us would be immune to poison! And we could rock things that would make most others ill...
Good idea there. One of my tamers (Kylie) is an Chiv/Archer and I have been trying to figure out a way to stick Necro on him for Vamp. But uhhh he is already at like 830 skill points soooooo lol.

the Najasaurus reminds me of that Kepetch thing in Ter Mur... they look the same but I see where the poison and high resist would be good
I just wish they had given the Naja a little hue.. he is hard to see in some areas.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Just tamed a Naja today....nice hit points and I had him attack twice and each time he poisoned... think im gonna like this guy...762 hit points too...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just tamed a Naja today....nice hit points and I had him attack twice and each time he poisoned... think im gonna like this guy...762 hit points too...

Sounds like its a 2 slot. It will be a good pet.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i think it said 3 slot after I tamed... ill have to check again

Find a 2 slot if it is. It will be even better!

Frenzied whirlwind, poisoning and poison breath is the new combo.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Have changed my mind on my favorite pet... It is now the Armor Ignore and Armor Pierce Naja ;)

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Correction... my Naja is a 2 slot... and yes I really like the Naja too.... very high on my list so far

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im not sure why they thought Najas being tamable was a good idea... the fact they can be found at 2 slots further makes me shake my head.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Im not sure why they thought Najas being tamable was a good idea... the fact they can be found at 2 slots further makes me shake my head.
Ohh Ohh..
There goes my poor Naja..
I can see the nerf cannon pointed this way! (;

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Giant Beetle is my favorite pet. I take it to the roof and the Dragon Turtle regularly.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maxed out DPI, HPR, 20 MR and 10 SR. Maxed STR/DEX/STAM, HP over 800 (forget exactly), and went for the basic AI/Mortal/RC/Poison combo, with 120 Wrestling, 115 Anatomy & tactics, and either 110 or 115 parry. Loads of fun.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
think ill try that... fire beetle would be cool too.. what shard do you play on?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Giant Beetle for all around use and even more so for my T Hunter to take all the junk to the soul forge or trash can. Bushi Hiryu for heavy spawn, SW CU or SW Reptalon or Chiv Hiryu or Reptalon for general tanking boss type things. Fire Steed or Fire Beetle for farming things weak against fire damage. Tigers just because they look cool and are easy to hit caps. Nightmares for pirate hunting because they teleport onto the pirate ships well before they are scuttled and wipe out the mages and bombers and get a head start on beating the pirate to death. Tsuki wolves when I want a wither spamming life leeching pet to just kill stuff with out me having to even think about healing it/ also a good heavy spawn pet. Can't pick just one as different pets have different applications.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Giant Beetle (called Scuttlebug :p ) for Thunting, Fishing, Pirating, kills and loads. Perfect (AI/Bleed/Rune Corruption/Poisoning)
Fire Beetle (called Crispy :p ) for spawning (Exploding Goo/AI/Rune Corruption/Poisoning, 120 Wrestle, Tactics, Parry etc.)

Still maxing them on scrolls but by far my best pets.

Just working on a Bane atm, the cu's I have are 'so so' same as the lesser hiryu's. I have frost dragons, gds, mares, dragon wolf, tzuki's, white wyrm, but my beetles so far are my go to pets now.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Giant Beetle (called Scuttlebug :p ) for Thunting, Fishing, Pirating, kills and loads. Perfect (AI/Bleed/Rune Corruption/Poisoning)
They work great at champ spawns. Then you can carry off lots of gold piles.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They work great at champ spawns. Then you can carry off lots of gold piles.
Perhaps, but I find the fire beetle much better as it has the area effect (Goo) for the lower levels and it can deal with any spawn generated by the boss. Crispy my fire beetle has 120 tact 120 wrestle and 110 all other skills (still waiting to get 120's) his goo does 100+ damage to all lower level mobs. It is a work of art!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ok what did you train your beetles on?
Dread Pirates. I bond them first and use a 2-3-4 slot pet with them while they are 1-2 slot as meat shields. Only takes about an hour to get them to lvl 3.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anything with rune corruption is the best pet, I knew that first day I hopped on TC for this patch. I told bleak its going to be overpowered, but like usual they didn't listen.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anything with rune corruption is the best pet, I knew that first day I hopped on TC for this patch. I told bleak its going to be overpowered, but like usual they didn't listen.
He was probably right. My lesser Hiruy with Chiv outdamages my bug with Rune Corruption. And no, neither is OP. There are plenty of useless/underpowered abilities though.

Synbad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
He was probably right. My lesser Hiruy with Chiv outdamages my bug with Rune Corruption. And no, neither is OP. There are plenty of useless/underpowered abilities though.
why Chiv on your Lesser Hiryu? just curious

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How are you determining this though. What methods?

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How are you determining this though. What methods?
You fight the same tipe of monster for awhile and observe the hit numbers and how long it takes to kill it with either pet. If there is a difference, it becomes apparent fairly quickly.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the ossein ram has life leech, normally you want to select magical ability last, but on triceratops, lion, and ossein ram, if you select magical first, you can give it more options.

Ducky Momo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
the ossein ram has life leech, normally you want to select magical ability last, but on triceratops, lion, and ossein ram, if you select magical first, you can give it more options.
Have you found a good triceratops build?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have one, but i do know that 1 in 6 come with healing, shhh

only say the word, and your triceratops will be healed.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You fight the same tipe of monster for awhile and observe the hit numbers and how long it takes to kill it with either pet. If there is a difference, it becomes apparent fairly quickly.
Gotta agree the ChivyRu is easily the highest DPS against a single target and the BushiRu (Goo/Whirlwind) the highest DPS against mobs. At the same time they can both be built to have max defense with the Bushi/Parry bonus at 120 each. (Toss Bladeweave on a ChivyRu for the Bushi).

Xenophen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I really enjoy my Chiv Cu for Roof runs amongst other boss-type things. I've seen single target bursts as high as nearly 400 a few times. Very good pet.

My Bane dragon is a spawn destroyer. So many nice damage numbers going off when he gets in action.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another "feature" of the giant beetle is that increased STR eliminates that annoying "your pet is fatigued" crap that happens with an untrained beetle at around a cargo load of 400-500 stone plus the rider.

My giant beetles can run full speed while mounted while carrying max weight (240k coins for 1600 stone). The trick to fully loading them with coin is that you have to make each stack exactly 60,000 - and that to finish the 4th stack, you have to balance the stack at some multiple of 150 (so no fractional weight putting you a stone heavier), then add the remaining multiple of 150 onto it (say, by taking a stack that is 59,763 , removing the 63 to reduce it to 59,700 , then adding 300 to the stack to make it 60,000 even)