• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

simple question regarding runic hammers

G

When using a runic to create a weapon, do most of you typically try to create what you want using iron and then try to enhance it, or do you try to create the item with the desired ore from the start?

In making the item in iron first and then enhancing, would you not have greater properties in the end as opposed to crafting straight from desired ore?

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

While it is true that making a weapon out of iron and then enhancing it to match what kind of weapon you get will get you the best weapon, it only does that if you do not destroy it by enhancing it. (especially if you are trying to get a high luck weapon.) So many will make them with gold so that they have maximum luck without enhancing. Most warriors likely have chivalry and can cast consecrate weapon negating the usefulness of enhancing for the distribution of damage types. I still enhance weapons I make cause I am smithing only for myself.

J

Jhym

The problem is that enhancing is generally a "you will lose" proposition. Most smiths do not like to lose, hence they hedge their bets by making the items in the ore they prefer and hope the properties match up.

I tend to use iron unless I'm specifically pushing for particular weapon damage types. I have had fairly good luck enhancing, even with gold, but I also never expect an item to enhance. Better for your sanity that way.