• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sim Names in EALand

T

Tigo

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed (I'm sure it has been, but I'm not here very often...)

One of my sims recently hopped on the last bullet train out of Jolly Pines to EALand. When she made it there, I was surprised to find out I had to change her name because someone else had already created a new EALand sim with the same name. Now, my sim from JP is almost 1200 days old. Why should she have to lose her name to a sim that was created 30 days ago?

Doesn't seniority count for anything? Is there going to be a fix for this in the future? Just curious...

B

Bindy

I agree with you there. I think the person that has had the name longer should be the one that gets to keep it.

K

Krystal Bell

Oh my goodness yes I agree with you Bin, I believe if you've had the name for years then it should be your name in EALand also. The oldest owner of the name should get to keep that name. That would have upset me if my sims name wasnt available to me in EALand.

G

That is the way the Dev's told us it would work....

Are you sure your sim is the oldest and the other did not come on an earlier train?

If you are, then I think you should mention it to them or fill out a bug report, because they clearly meant the oldest sim with the name to keep it.

T

Tigo

My sim is clearly older than hers in EALand. Mine is 1188 days... hers is 37 days old. I'm sure she was created when EALand opened to new sims, and did not come over on a Bullet Train from another city.

Perhaps she has more entitlement days though? I'm not sure how it's supposed to work...age of sim, or age of account? I have 1250 entitlement days. I had to put an apostrophe before her name... I didn't want to change it entirely because she's always been that Sim to me. I can't imagine her with any other name.

This could be serious issue. I have 2 other sims the same age ready to come over with the merge. If I lose their names to younger sims as well, I will not be happy at all.

I

Inge Jones

Could end up with a war between Sims Online founders and EA Land founders :p

G

Yep, unfortunately the other sim is entitled to the name because she was in EALand before you. When I created my sim in EALand someone had already used the name that I wanted, so I simply added a ' to the end.

I

imported_Poppy Darling

When TC merged into TC3, a sim that I created in TC3 had a number added to her name. I did a search and discovered that it appeared to have happened when a TC sim that was older than my TC3 sim had retained her name after the merge.
My theory is that the older sims that took the bullet train from the production cities will have a number after their name and the sims that are merged with their property etc., will not.
If all goes well with the planned merges this week, we will know if I am right.

I

imported_ananueva

Two of my sims had name changes when they arrived in Ealand; I changed their names back to what they had been in their respective cities and the game let me; not sure why but I was glad.

I

imported_Spacey

I heard that the oldest should get the name. I will try to find some post that I saw on this issue. Like someone mentioned before, I am not sure if it is the oldest account or oldest sim. When the merged sims come into EALand, a sim with the same name in EALand would have numbers placed after it. It is only fair.

Edit: I searched through hundreds of post and couldn't find anything. I posted a question about it on TSO-E. Maybe between here and there we can get an answer to the fate of identical names.

G

This suggestion might not make me the most popular person in the game, but have you thought about asking her how attached to the name she really is?
I ask because I have a newly created sim in EALand whose name, while not terribly common, is probably popular enough that someone else may very well be using it in another city. Like others, I think I read something about the newest sim getting numbers added to her name, so I figured if there was another owner of the name, that person would get it and I'd find something else. If someone msg'd me in the game asking if I'd let them have it, I'd find another name.

G

Devil's advocate:

Imagine someone wanting your name for years but couldn't do so because you already had it.

When EA-Land arrived, that person finally saw her chance to claim her favorite name. And now that person has to give it up again ?

If you wanted to have your name in EAland, you should have made a sim there from day 1. I did with mine.

On the other hand, if it is a true new sim, then some friendly talk should probably give you your name back.

I see 'Max and 'Shirley and Arnoldd's all around. You've had your real unadjusted name for 1200 days...shouldn't it be time someone else who wanted that name enjoy it?

Anyway, just wanted to point out the other side

G

<blockquote><hr>

Forgive me if this issue has been addressed (I'm sure it has been, but I'm not here very often...)

One of my sims recently hopped on the last bullet train out of Jolly Pines to EALand. When she made it there, I was surprised to find out I had to change her name because someone else had already created a new EALand sim with the same name. Now, my sim from JP is almost 1200 days old. Why should she have to lose her name to a sim that was created 30 days ago?

Doesn't seniority count for anything? Is there going to be a fix for this in the future? Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]
The way it is supposed to work is; the oldest sim retains the name and all others get a number appended - it's then up to the player to pick another name.
However, like many other things in the game, this doesn't always work the way it is supposed to. The devs have said it is on their list to fix, but have not given a time estimate.

I

Inge Jones

I think it is working as designed. A sim's name only needs to be unique per city. So supposing player A joins in 2005 and makes a Sim in Calvins Creek called John Doe. Then player B joins in 2006 and makes a Sim in Dragon's Cove called John Doe.

Player A asks to have his sim moved from Calvin's Creek to Dragon's cove in 2007. Does this mean Player B should log in the next day and find their Sim has a different name so as not to clash with the older Sim who has just moved to the city? Surely it is the older sim *in the particular city* who normally gets to keep the name?

However, just because it is working as designed, doesn't mean it shouldn't have been changed to work differently under these circumstances, as old players have not *chosen* to be moved to EA, it's been decided for them. Knowing that the old sims were eventually going to be moved to EA Land, it might have been an idea to disallow new EA Land sims from choosing a name already in use in one of the other cities.

Though this would not have prevented all such problems - as what would happen to the John Does from CC and DC when they got to EA Land? One of them would have to have a ' or something in any case. Is it possible it's not a new EA sim that is causing the OPs problem, but one from another old city?

D

DGLita

<blockquote><hr>

This suggestion might not make me the most popular person in the game, but have you thought about asking her how attached to the name she really is?
I ask because I have a newly created sim in EALand whose name, while not terribly common, is probably popular enough that someone else may very well be using it in another city. Like others, I think I read something about the newest sim getting numbers added to her name, so I figured if there was another owner of the name, that person would get it and I'd find something else. If someone msg'd me in the game asking if I'd let them have it, I'd find another name.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very generous offer but I dont think it will work. What if you changed your name so that another person could have it, only to find that once changed neither of you could make that name, because it was already in use somewhere in the database (ie the name you just gave up).

I think this problem will have to be left to the devs to resolve

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think it is working as designed. A sim's name only needs to be unique per city. So supposing player A joins in 2005 and makes a Sim in Calvins Creek called John Doe. Then player B joins in 2006 and makes a Sim in Dragon's Cove called John Doe.

Player A asks to have his sim moved from Calvin's Creek to Dragon's cove in 2007. Does this mean Player B should log in the next day and find their Sim has a different name so as not to clash with the older Sim who has just moved to the city? Surely it is the older sim *in the particular city* who normally gets to keep the name?

However, just because it is working as designed, doesn't mean it shouldn't have been changed to work differently under these circumstances, as old players have not *chosen* to be moved to EA, it's been decided for them. Knowing that the old sims were eventually going to be moved to EA Land, it might have been an idea to disallow new EA Land sims from choosing a name already in use in one of the other cities.

Though this would not have prevented all such problems - as what would happen to the John Does from CC and DC when they got to EA Land? One of them would have to have a ' or something in any case. Is it possible it's not a new EA sim that is causing the OPs problem, but one from another old city?

[/ QUOTE ]
The way I explained it is the way the *devs* explained it. I'm just repeating them.
The oldest sim gets the gravy, all the rest get the grease.

I

Inge Jones

Yeah but if there is a sim already in EA Land "city" with the name then technically speaking that is the eldest sim - because it's on a city-by-city basis. If it was game-wide, the person in EA_Land would not have been able to take the name in the first place.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah but if there is a sim already in EA Land "city" with the name then technically speaking that is the eldest sim - because it's on a city-by-city basis. If it was game-wide, the person in EA_Land would not have been able to take the name in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Merged sims retain their age - so if you have a 1200 day old sim in AV, it will become a 1200 day old sim in EA Land when it is merged.
Yes, I know this isn't always the case - some get their age reset to 0 days, but this is a bug.
Once again - this info is straight from the devs.

I

Inge Jones

I think you're missing the point. On a "per city" basis, which names are, it's a first-come first-served basis - always has been from what I have been reading. The sim who happened to get the name first *in that city* has first claim to it. It's not a bug. It may be an undesirable feature in the context of the enforced merge, but it's still working as designed - ie not a bug. The time to have been worrying about this was before EA-land was open to new sims. Knowing a merge was to take place, new sims should have been prevented from taking names that were already in use in other cities.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think you're missing the point. On a "per city" basis, which names are, it's a first-come first-served basis - always has been from what I have been reading. The sim who happened to get the name first *in that city* has first claim to it. It's not a bug. It may be an undesirable feature in the context of the enforced merge, but it's still working as designed - ie not a bug. The time to have been worrying about this was before EA-land was open to new sims. Knowing a merge was to take place, new sims should have been prevented from taking names that were already in use in other cities.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand what you are saying - *I'm* saying that the priority was changed from that used for the production cities to something especially for EA Land. The coding is already in place.
Once again - this is not my opinion, this is the way it is, as stated by the devs.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think you're missing the point. On a "per city" basis, which names are, it's a first-come first-served basis - always has been from what I have been reading. The Sim who happened to get the name first *in that city* has first claim to it. It's not a bug. It may be an undesirable feature in the context of the enforced merge, but it's still working as designed - i.e. not a bug. The time to have been worrying about this was before EA-land was open to new Sims. Knowing a merge was to take place, new Sims should have been prevented from taking names that were already in use in other cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This discussion about names ...who would keep what....took place last spring, long before EA-Land opened.

Many players were very upset that they had used the same name in all their different cities, and were afraid they would lose it on their oldest Sim.... or that someone else was using a favored name in a different city and they would get to keep it, if their city merged first.

After much yelling and hand wringing...also know in CH as 'discussion'....the Dev's said that they would set it up, so that any Sim in which ever city was the 'oldest', creation wise, would retain the name.....and all the others of the same name, created at any later date, regardless of which city or account they came from, would receive added numbers.

Example: JohnDoe, created last year and merging from EJ, would become JohnDoe5308, but JohnDoe merging from AV, but created during beta, would remain JohnDoe.

I do not know how they were going to do this, but if an older merged Sim is getting numbers when a new Sim is not, then it is *not* working out the way the Dev's said it would work, and should be reported.

However, as I write this out, I wonder if their progamming is only set to work on merged but not *moved* Sims?

T

Tigo

Gilly, I am beginning to wonder the same thing too. It will be interesting (if not maddening) to see what happens when the merges take place. I checked the EAL database... there's a 38 day old sim residing there with the same name as my 1189-day old CC sim. MY AV sim appears to be out of luck, as even though she is 1189 days old as well, another sim with the same name and 1600+ days has already hopped off the bullet train.

If what Gilly and Donovan posted is indeed true, then the devs have some explaining to do. Guess I will have to file a bug report to get the issue resolved with my former JP sim.

This statement:

"Knowing a merge was to take place, new Sims should have been prevented from taking names that were already in use in other cities. "

...sums up how this whole process should have been handled and addressed prior to EALand's opening, but of course it's too late now... *sigh*

G

<blockquote><hr>

However, as I write this out, I wonder if their progamming is only set to work on merged but not *moved* Sims?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be my guess. Without any knowledge on the difficulty of code, programming, etc, I would blindly assume that this isn't that hard of an issue to fix, compared to things like mangled objects or the merging of a city.

However, I do not see this as a priority fix and wouldn't be too bothered if the devs don't look into it right away. I'd much prefer they get the merges out of the way, and then fix the issues, assuming that the merges won't add to the difficulty of the fix.

I

imported_LFancey

Hi,

I will check on how it works for Merges but Moves (bullet train) work the way they always have since the begining.

When you move the last one to EA-Land gets the number regardless of how old you are.

Cheers,

Lee

G

Go1die

I'm waiting for my sim, Goldie, to merge from Alphaville. There is already a Goldie in EALand.

My Goldie is almost 500 days old, hers just only turned 100 days old.

Who will get to keep the name?

Thanks.

G

In theory the older Goldie will get the name and the younger will add numbers....at least until Lee tells us something different.

G

<blockquote><hr>

In theory the older Goldie will get the name and the younger will add numbers....at least until Lee tells us something different.

[/ QUOTE ]It will be interesting to see what comes of all this. My impression is that the name arbitration happens in cases where merged sims have the same name - in that case the oldest sim keeps the original name; however, anyone who created in EA-Land directly gets first dibs regardless.

I

imported_LFancey

The Skinny,

If you move the "mover" gets renamed no matter how old you are.

If you merge the oldest sim gets the original name.

Cheers,

Lee

I

imported_SimTripps

Lee's da man.. See? Two lines of explanation is all it took lol...

G

My JP sim is now searching on a search in EA-Land, but not accessible to play yet. She's got the original name and the new sims I created in EA-Land have numbers after their names now.

Which is exactly what I was expecting.

I've just realised I hadn't gone in and changed property names though, wonder what will happen when I have properties merging that are named the same.

Polly

I

imported_Spacey

Yay, a benefit I got from waiting on my sims to merge. I am rather attached to all of my sim's names. I don't know what it would be like to name them something else lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I've just realised I hadn't gone in and changed property names though, wonder what will happen when I have properties merging that are named the same.

[/ QUOTE ]That's a good question!

And this time, I'm not even going to speculate... I'm tired of getting pwned!

I

imported_SimTripps

I was wondering this also about the property names - will they have numbers too?

T

Tristan Lewis

Guess you should of WAITED FOR THE MERGE!!!! You retain no right to your name if you jumped on the train but if youd of waited then the 37 day old sim that stole ur name would be getting numbers here in about an hour!!!!!!

G

I created a sim in ealand and when IH merged i had numbers added to my name - when i checked that sim was older than me - i also noticed a lot of other sims on my bookmarks who didnt have numbers now had them also - i changed mine from the numbers and put a ' after it as my friends were getting confused as the sim with my name i used wasnt me LOL

G

I lost my sim name to someone else. Ugh. And it isn't even that common of a name.

If you wanted to retain that name, you should have created in EA-Land on Day 1.

G

Go1die

The suspense is killing me! Once AV merges we'll see who gets to keep Goldie! *Clenches fists*