• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

silly questions of a silly Nature

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ok with Smithing i have to have mining to use Valorite etc (is this still the case)
ok do i need lumberjack to use all the woods for Carp and Fletching??

Do i need Arms lore??

other than repairs and the ability to make exceptional items will my crafter really be crafting anything...seems all he does is make stuff for my Artificer to reforge..
if he is just making Exception items is it really that important to go to 120...

the man thing is i would like to drop some skills so i can get all my crafting skills on one guy ...

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"if he is just making Exception items is it really that important to go to 120..."

Probably answered your own question there.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"if he is just making Exception items is it really that important to go to 120..."

Probably answered your own question there.
On some stuff yes. Not all items can be made EXP at lvl 100 and the list gets smaller at 120 so you are not using as many ASHes to get EXP.

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My comment is that it is apparently not that important to the OP.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Question 1A & 1B: Technically was never the case, unless it was something pre-AOS - you only had to have mining to smelt blacksmithed stuff you wanted to recover the metal from, and the amount recovered was directly based on mining skill (101.2, while wearing gloves, was the point where your return capped out for things that are made with a multiple of 3 ingots)
As for Lumberjacking and the wood-crafting skills, you don't have to have LJ - in fact, the opposite problem used to exist in that you couldn't make BOARDS out of colored logs with a Lumberjack unless you had carpentry (now, the entire mechanic for making boards has changed so that either skill can be used).

Question 2: Arms lore is important for making armor - you get 5 (most shards) or 8 (SP, Mugen) additional randomly applied points to exceptional armor, at GM Arms Lore. 30 resist points over 6 pieces can save you several imbue slots and/or require less reforging attempts to include "fortification". So, it's better for Reforging to have the pieces made with Arms Lore, but you might have issues if simply Imbuing, getting an exceptional piece with at or near minimum in the resist you want to imbue (as any exceptional bonus points in that resist are wiped and replaced with points that count against imbuing weight, when you imbue it).

Question 3: Typically, it takes 120 Blacksmith skill and a +30 ASH, to make ALL smith items 100% exceptional, without talisman - though a +25% or Exceptional talisman combined with a +15 ASH will do. Remember that each 10 points of skill equate to 20% of ability. A +60 ASH should only be used for enhancing.
Stopping at 100 skill lowers your exceptional chance by FORTY PERCENT compared to 120.
Exceptional chance at 95 Skill and lower is Crafting chance (ignoring the 100% cap, and talismans regular bonuses don't count) - 60%
Exceptional chance at 100 skill and higher is Crafting chance -45%
(between 95-100 is complicated, but with the penalty shifting toward the lower one)

If you NEVER make chain or plate, you might be able to get away with less than 120 Blacksmithing. However, each 10 points over GM give a 1% bonus to ENHANCEMENT success, so if you're going to try to enhance things without using a forged metal tool, you'll definitely want to have 120 skill and an ASH +60.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ok to refine my question as i stumble through learning the new crafting stuff

1. why would i bother to use a runic to craft when reforging so much better, is there any point in using metal other than iron since that's the only thing you can reforge?
,why would i enhance a reforged item ??
I guess these questions apply to tailoring, bow crafting and carpentry as well??

in the little reforging i have done its still totally random i can select parameters but its still totally random
will we as crafters ever be able to say i'm making a sword with
MR4 190 luck ML 60 hit fatigue 50 and just make what we really want ??

apply this to magery i cast EV wait why did resurrection cast instead.... or tamers look at the CU wait why did i just tame that dire wolf....

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll do this in parts in a different order.

Why would you NOT enhance a reforged (armor) item? You can't enhance Jewelry, and the only reason to enhance a metal weapon is to change the damage types or add more luck.

BUT, Armor can be enhanced to improve resists - especially now that most metals and leathers add 4-5 more resists than they did prior (16-17 max instead of 12-13, depending on skill - Spined leather had an all-physical increase, while metals and other leathers got an additional 1% to each resist). This might require using a forged metal tool to have 100% chance to succeed (as the chance without it might be 0% to 5%), but those extra resists can completely shift a suit build.

Woods have other properties, that affect both weapons and armor. Heartwood can have one random property that people will sometimes make many reforged items and attempt enhancing to get at least one with the desired property. Bloodwood can add 2 HP Regen (and is the luck material for shields) to items that don't have HP regen yet. Frostwood can add Spell Channeling and DI, in addition to cold damage, as well as adding high resists to armor.

And, shields (of any materials) are the easiest things to enhance to improve resists.

6 suit parts, enhanced, can have 100+ more total resists than a suit without enhancement - 120+ if including a shield. That's potentially 6-8 or more property slots not used for resists during the item creation process. I typically take the materials I intend to enhance with already calculated, then figure out what resists the reforged parts have to add up to be.

For example, if I don't care about luck (say, if you're going to use a macro to switch to a luck suit for the kill), you can look at the following

6 Valorite parts: 70/70/70/70/70 - 30/0/24/24/24 = the suit needs to total 40/70/46/46/46 after reforging, but before enhancing. Therefore, you make multiple base items (exceptional metal armor parts that have 15 fixed and 20 random resists), and choose for the ones that have high fire resist. If you start with each item having 11 or better fire resist, you will be at 66 or higher fire. This would leave you 38 resists (on average) short of all 70s - UNLESS you reforged one item "of Fortification" to get a 70-110 total resist item (or loot one - they are REALLY common). With this combination you can have 5 reforged items that you don't have to improve resists on - especially if you end up using a shield (1 base resist, up to 17 additional resists from enhancement, and some shields can be looted or crafted that have one or more +resist properties)

6 Barbed parts for a med suit: 70/70/70/70/70 -18/12/18/18/30 = 52/58/52/52/40. the base parts of the suit are 2/4/3/3/3, so that's 12/24/18/18/18 + 120 random resists, or 40/34/34/34/12 - 120 random resists, or 34 resists you have to get from properties (or less with resists on shield).

Luck suits tend to be more complicated.

Reforging can produce overcapped powers - that's what drives it.

I don't like having so little control, either, but it's better than no control at all with conventional runic crafting. I do wish they'd make the total intensity for conventional crafting with runics to have a higher power pool.