• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

*sigh* locked already... gotta write this stuff down

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
there is no 'retrieve password' thingie on the official forums

:rolleyes2:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ever have the feeling your head is going to explode trying to remember all your different account names, passwords, user names, and PINs?
That's why I got a book lol. Altho there are some that I have forgotten that were so old even before I started making notes...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's why I got a book lol. Altho there are some that I have forgotten that were so old even before I started making notes...
I have 4 notebooks sit near my computer some so full of jotted down stuff that if I needed to find something in it I cringe...

I don't write down my accounts or passwords... keep those in my head only... which sometimes can be a problem... I've considered I need to put those somewhere safer as my brain is quickly going from "sometimers" to "mosttimers".... which is scary... having Alzheimer's on both sides of my family I'm pretty sure that's a bullet I won't be dodging...

And my thoughts there were that my son will need those if anything happened to me as I asked him to promise he'd give my account info to some of my close friends in UO should anything happen to me.

Sad fact is that many of us have no idea who we are really playing with... and you can be friends for years if anything happened to them you'd never really know if they died one day...

I often wonder what happened to some old friends...

The only way though I can keep track of some things is to make charts...

I have charts for characters which detail everything from skills to what house that account owns... to how many vet rewards it has and how old it is...

To charts for which account has shields to what shard...

Charts for what characters are loyal to what cities...

Charts for names of characters on shards... which also helps me know how many characters I might have on a particular shard...

I wish there was an easy way to export some of that information so I didn't have to put so much work into it but I'm no programmer or anything...

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a word document with all of them on all three hard drives, a thumb drive and in the cloud. and i print it out and put it in the safe every month. and give dad a copy at the same time. it's encrypted and locked plus i didn't put the user names in there, those i keep in my head.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I keep a notebook. The only ones I don't write down are my bank accounts. I just write a hint in my notebook. I change my passwords frequently... I do use Norton's to save my passwords for non-financial accounts though.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I keep a notebook. The only ones I don't write down are my bank accounts. I just write a hint in my notebook. I change my passwords frequently... I do use Norton's to save my passwords for non-financial accounts though.
I use Norton and LastPass... for non-financials... I don't put my accounts there either... I love LastPass... it'll even generate insane sorts of passwords for you. Oh and fill out forms for you.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I've got a special little Internet Address and Password book, it's great as I can never remember anything 5 minutes after I typed it in!

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
y'all are so damned organized - ya know what I got? got a stack of folded papers with stuff scribbled all over them..... ya know what's printed on the other side of most of those papers? codes from old upgrades, Mondain's and such, character transfers and instructions for using them o_O

I know :rolleyes:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do like I do and have a text file named Passwords on your computer. These passwords for different cites are BS.

So secure they are...

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do like I do and have a text file named Passwords on your computer. These passwords for different cites are BS.

So secure they are...
I'm no expert, but I'd imagine the first thing someone would grab is a text file saying passwords on it if they managed to get into a person's files.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I had for years a small piece of paper taped under the Keyboard, today I keep a small notebook in a locked drawer of my desk

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had for years a small piece of paper taped under the Keyboard, today I keep a small notebook in a locked drawer of my desk
For years I kept what I called my "black book" which was one of those address books... with tabs for each letter... I'd write all those stupid things down in that for every silly website you attended... But after getting LastPass I no longer have to do that. Like you I kept it locked away.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
*raises hand*

Black book full-o-passwords here too. No two accounts have the same email address, login or password. I mean for everything, any online service has completely different credentials. You learn really quickly where a weakness is or where spam comes from since it's not associated with anything else.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have passwords for bill paying as well as gaming and forums, etc. Printed copy on standard paper taped under my desk drawer, plus electronic copy in text on a thumb drive I use for backups of emails, etc.

The rough part is when I need to change one or more ... put the electronic copy back, do the change, edit the text, back it up, print new copy for under the drawer. Gee, I think it takes maybe 5 minutes ... loafing. :p:D

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I started buying those cheap little 1" thick spiral notebooks in the late 90s. I have like 7 now :p I really like the first one. It has lists of people from the early days of UO I needed to kill, not do business with, or were idiots in general ;) I'm taking names!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I started buying those cheap little 1" thick spiral notebooks in the late 90s. I have like 7 now :p I really like the first one. It has lists of people from the early days of UO I needed to kill, not do business with, or were idiots in general ;) I'm taking names!
I still maintain a list on my ICQ which I almost never log into anymore of people "DO NOT TRUST"... who have cheated, scammed or otherwise done something inexcusable... to get them on my never talk to again list. I keep it so that if I ever get some interaction and they give me their ICQ or something I know who I'm dealing with... and I can log in to ICQ and see if they are "on"... and then I know that the person I'm dealing with has the potential to be one of them.

But since switching to Discord I barely check ICQ anymore... I've gladly upgraded. Pretty much told everyone on my ICQ list that if they want to/need to reach me that I'll be on Discord not ICQ.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe when the amount of accounts went over 30 my son started the files for the game .... the master is on no less then 3 stick memorys... just in case.
One is with my sister in another state!
She don't play on line games !!
At a glance I can tell you where my main houses are in the billing cycle, ages of the accounts, vet rewards choices left...
Yes even the full list of past passwords used! (just so I don't reuse them)
Be it a note book or a program on the computer its always good to keep this information at hand and up to date.
IF something should happen to me.... I want the kids to be able to handle the mess that is my UO life and deal with the end game for me.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I still maintain a list on my ICQ which I almost never log into anymore of people "DO NOT TRUST"... who have cheated, scammed or otherwise done something inexcusable... to get them on my never talk to again list. I keep it so that if I ever get some interaction and they give me their ICQ or something I know who I'm dealing with... and I can log in to ICQ and see if they are "on"... and then I know that the person I'm dealing with has the potential to be one of them.

But since switching to Discord I barely check ICQ anymore... I've gladly upgraded. Pretty much told everyone on my ICQ list that if they want to/need to reach me that I'll be on Discord not ICQ.
My system is I trust no one ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But more generally spoken, isn't it weird to keep a list of "do not trust" people for a video game? :rolleyes:

I mean I've had my fair share of people I didn't like too. But I usually just let it go and move on with my things. Chances are you never see them again anyway. Starting to make blacklists of people in video games never came to my mind. It kinda also shows the flawed UO mindset... too many people take this super serious.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've seen some of you misread stuff, type crazy stuff, and mislabel stuff as cheating too much. A permanent list of people you don't want to play with seems silly from you guys. LOL

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well in my case this was from when the world was new and there was a HUGE population of idiots and scammers lol. There's plenty of people who are clearly not trusted today if you listen to Atlantic chat. On Legends it's much easier to weed out the people that are scammers and they don't last long or pretty much play UO solitary after that. No one can tell me that there aren't plenty of idiots left in UO. Now it's much easier to keep a mental list. While I haven't bothered maintaining a list in a LONG time with EJ I might have to start a new one :) It's much harder to scam today than when the world was new. Now we know the game, we have new systems, we have a wealth of info out there on the internet. It wasn't always like that. It was different when back in the day if you trusted the wrong person you could lose your house and contents. You might be able to sucker me once if your really good, but not twice lol In general I *never* let it go :) If you've burned me in some meaningful way I will forever look for the opportunity to repay the favor. It's how I roll :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
But more generally spoken, isn't it weird to keep a list of "do not trust" people for a video game? :rolleyes:

I mean I've had my fair share of people I didn't like too. But I usually just let it go and move on with my things. Chances are you never see them again anyway. Starting to make blacklists of people in video games never came to my mind. It kinda also shows the flawed UO mindset... too many people take this super serious.
If there is one thing I can't abide in life its a thief and a liar. While yes it is "just a game" ..... I wouldn't allow that in life I'm not going to allow it in a game.

To me UO is more than "just a game"... It's more my escape, my vacation spot if you will from the real world. I don't have any desire to deal with thieves and liars in my vacation realm... so yes...

If UO were that thing I just did for kicks once in a blue moon... probably wouldn't care. But UO is that thing I do most every day... From the time I rise till I go to bed some days...

It's my Cheers if you will. That place I go where my friends are.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same for me - If there's an idiot in current UO, I just make a mental note and ignore them in the future.

In the old days of UO, chances are you'd never see them again. Final Fantasy 14 has an actual blacklist, but I've only used it like 5x, and reported a player one time - the people in question were total *******s during dungeons/raids/boss fights. I'll probably remove the blacklisted people eventually, but meh. Honestly, most players in FF14 are pretty normal - we just go about our business and get the job done. On rare occasions you'll run into some idiots.

Snark

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Extreme paranoia isn't good either.

Once upon a time there was a forum named Tradespot which was rather draconian in moderating the users. If someone made a claim, false or not, you were gone. If you posted an item for sale and the buyer complained you didn't deliver within 30 mins, you were often gone. It was harsh.

Then the big gold dupe ban happened and the Tradespot staff were suddenly banned and the site folded not long after. Turns out the ones being hard on others were among the biggest cheaters(of gold) in game at the time. Seems they got paranoid, took it out on others.

Life's too short to worry over pixels, have fun. Be good, be bad, it ultimately is still all just pixels. BTW - it IS possible to roleplay a really nasty SOB in game and still worth talking to outside the game or on ICQ, no need for perma ban lists in my opinion.