• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Siege Perilous - Naval Warfare - Sat Nov 19

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Entry Fee: 50k gold per team

Prizes:
* 1st Place: A engraved chest with approximatly 1 million gold worth in treasure to split with your crew
* 2nd Place: A engraved chest with a few souvenirs, probably valued around 250k

All attendies will get a special item for attending

When?: Saturday, November 19, 1PM PST
Where?: Siege Perilous, meeting off Buc's Den Docks (Sail your ship into the harbor)

Player Requirements: High Seas Booster Pack and a galleon outfitted with cannons if you want any chance of winning, but feel free to show up in a rowboat to cause mayhem if you're not upgraded. Other than that no skills required, sign up for someone elses crew to help them out if you don't have your own ship but want to attend.

What?: This will be a ship pvp event, happening in and around the waters of bucs den. It will consist of teams of no more than 5 players or pets (recommend at least 3) In a shipboard deathmatch. It is not recommended to wear your beast gear for this event, nor should it be necessary. (everyone will probably have more fun if in simple lrc suits or exceptional leather, I just don't want the event ruined by a whiner who wore 10 artys and got looted, the fight is with cannons anyways so it wont help all that much.)

How?: Each team will be given a unique engraved chest to put in their hold. The winning team is the one at the end of the match that has the most chests. ANYTHING GOES (so long as you don't break the players per team limit, and yes, for the case of this event, a pet will count as a seperate player). Use anything you want to raid the other ships, toss potions, summon scalis, drop a dragnet of fishing nets to trap them in sea serpents....whatever. Once damaged you can kill everyone on board or simply grab the chest and run. If your chest is raided you are not immediately out, repair your ship and counter-attack. This will last 1 hour or until one team has all the chests (getting them all and returning them is an immediate victory). Gating off the ship or removing your own chest/other chests from the ship to somewhere it cannot be raided will result in forfeit, any extra supplies you may need you can store in the bank, the only area you are allowed to leave the ship is the bank and docks in bucs den, and no fighting will be allowed while off the ship.

You must provide your own ammo for this event, if you require ammo made please say so ahead of time and those here that can make it should be able to craft some for you. Ammo is expensive so it is advisable to go in teams of 3-4 people to reduce costs. 50+ shots in reserve is recommended, but you should make more as you're essentially out of luck if you run out. This event should be kept accessable to anyone so please, if you can afford to do so, try and let some of the newer players on your crew.

Before the event there will be a meeting on the bucs den docks to secure the chests in the ship holds and make sure all are aware of the rules. I will also need a rune to each participating ship, and temporary "passenger" rights, so that if all players onboard are killed they can be gated to shore to be resurrected. (to keep it fair, if your crew is wiped out, you must wait 1 minute before being gated back)

Help needed for the event:
If you don't feel like actually participating, there are a few things you could come and do to help out, I could use a few players to ride with crews of the ships and watch for cheating, but more importantly record video and take screenshots. Also if you are going to be a part of someone elses crew, or won't be participating, I could use some classic ships or rowboats placed as buoy's to mark the lines where you are traveling too far and need to turn back.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I work all day on Saturdays. *grumbles* I could meet with you the Friday before and place a few old school ships as bouys though.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My weekends are usually booked with family stuff so I may not make it to this, but I would love to help out any way I can!

I'll get busy making basic LRC and resist suits and filling spellbooks in case we get more than the usual amount of newcomers in the next two weeks. Might try to craft some cannons, but need some advice on which ones to make and how much to sell them for. Haven't had any luck with the mining for niter/saltpeter although my miner's account is upgraded for it. What other supplies would be handy that don't take saltpeter? Bolts, arrows? Any particular types of potions that are good for pitching at each other? And what kind of repair supplies would people be likely to need for this and in what quantities and who does ship repairs and how do they do it? Is it recommended that a crafter be part of your crew and which skills should they have to be most effective. (Sorry for the questions, but I'm a complete noob at ship stuff.)

:hahaha:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I can supply a stock pile of salt peter as well if that will help.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone can repair ships, it takes cloth and wood for repairs (carpentry + tailoring however greatly reduces the amount you need to repair). Cannons shouldnt take enough damage to need repairs in one hour of fighting, but same if you have blacksmithy on it uses less ingots to repair them.

For the cannons it's a tradeoff, small cannons do far less damage, and take way longer to sink people with, but the amount of saltpeter used vs each ship is also far less in the end. (basicly is the cheap/hard way to do it). Heavy cannons on tok and garg ships take around 15 shots to sink another ship, iirc the orc ships generally take around 12. Garg ships have quite a bit more hp than tok or orc, but drift slower than the tok and don't hit as hard as the orc.

For getting saltpeter, I've never found it much it in anything less than 1000 luck, and you have to mine it in a dungeon really (you can do it from sea but you get far less, from sea i was only getting 100 or so a hour, in dungeons i was getting about 1200 a hour). My favorite mining area unfortunately is about to get a revamp that will make it impossible to survive in there on my miner :/

Non-Saltpeter using items would be ramrods, swabs (both required to fire), cannonballs (heavy or light), and, potentially grapeshot (does far less damage to the ship but good for taking out the crew, can make it easier to sink). Don't bother making matches or match cord, it's a waste of saltpeter, you get so many from sinking other ships they build up. (I have a few hundred at least and each person only needs one, they last all day and you just need to keep it in your pack). Anything else like arrows and regs is basicly up to the players coming, can't really guess what people are going to do when you say "anything goes". As for potions, greater explosion are great vs players, not sure how well they work with ships though (may fail to throw or fall off the new boats)

It would be a very good idea also to stockpile wood and cloth as it does take quite a bit to repair ships (1000 of each on a crafter is more than enough to repair the ship twice, and remember the new ship holds work like a com deed box so you can just carry it on a blessed com deed and cash it in the hold once damaged), it would definitely be an advantage in reducing repair time and resources used to have a crafter on the team

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, and for anyone who wants to start putting their team together just post here the following information at the least.

Team Name
Team Members (you can add onto this later, just post again saying xxxx is joining my crew)
Ranks in the team (well, at least tell me who the captain is as they'll be in charge, but you can give ranks to other team members as well if you feel like it)

Entry fee won't be required until the day of the event (it's mostly just to offset the costs of the prizes a bit). If you dont want to pay the entry fee you can still participate i guess (can't really stop you anyways) but you won't be in the running for the prizes.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Count me in as a "sponser". An official "wish list would be awesome as I have many materials I could donate. I did mention this to Luka... I am sure she will be along shortly to comment.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best thing to donate really would be to provide ammo and repair supplies for any teams that join, the less it costs for players to fire the cannons the more people would be likely to join in the mayhem. The more people out there shooting at each other the better, and I hope a few people record some video (would be nice for making a compilation of it later)

Oh, and depending on how many "buoy"s are available to place some of us with accounts that still dont have placed ships might consider making a "loaner", letting another team use it by setting them as officers of the ship (officers can basicly do anything but dry dock the ship or remove cannons). But I'll need to know approx how many teams are participating and how many "spare" ships will be available to place before that.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Raptor, thanks for all the tips!

I should still have about 9 accounts open by then and at this point 2 of them have been upgraded for High Seas. I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to attend because our Saturdays are usually too chaotic to plan anything far in advance. However, I would be happy to help out with boats/ships in any way I can. I'm just really, really green when it comes to anything having to do with ships. I GM'd fishing once before High Seas came out and have never owned one of the new ships and have only been on them a handful of times. If you need me to buy some of the new ones so someone else can use them, I'll just need to know how to get them and how much they cost.

I'll also get to work on making suits, spellbooks, some basic jewelry for newbiesh chars, bolts/arrows if I can find the time to massacre a bunch of birds/harpies, cannons, cannonballs, etc. (whatever doesn't take saltpeter) and gathering and deeding supplies for repairs. Probably won't put anything on vendors though until we have a better idea of who will need the stuff gratis and then if anything's left, I'll stuff it on a vendor. Will also try to talk this up with guildmates and hopefully they might actually be able to participate in the battle. I'd love to be there but it's just too early to tell yet.

If you can stand another dumb question, here's another one. If your only character here is a dexxer, what would they be best suited to do during this event? I can picture them doing hand-to-hand combat, but does that actually happen in events like this? How do folks get from one boat to another?

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I have not got my schedule for my part time seasonal job, but barring that I would like to participate. I do not have a team but would gladly join one. I can fight as either a tamer or chiv archer. I have a tokono ship with cannons and a Brit ship with missing cannons.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saltpeter and blackpowder will spawn on the cave trolls when next publish goes live. If that happens this week, it will be easy to get enough of the expensive supplies.

If you can stand another dumb question, here's another one. If your only character here is a dexxer, what would they be best suited to do during this event? I can picture them doing hand-to-hand combat, but does that actually happen in events like this? How do folks get from one boat to another?
If he has healing and anatomy, he could heal or rezz others. Or find another dexxer , crosshealing with bandages is powerful. If you scuttle a boat or get scuttled, combat will probably happen.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saltpeter and blackpowder will spawn on the cave trolls when next publish goes live. If that happens this week, it will be easy to get enough of the expensive supplies.

If he has healing and anatomy, he could heal or rezz others. Or find another dexxer , crosshealing with bandages is powerful. If you scuttle a boat or get scuttled, combat will probably happen.
So....scuttling a ship is what it's gonna take to get those chests, right? I guess that means if your ship is scuttled, folks on another ship can board yours. But is that only folks on the ship that scuttled yours, or any ship that happens to come along while your ship is in a scuttled state?

Sorry, sorta thinking and trying to picture how this works as I type. Not sure this makes sense.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have lots of cloth and boards etc. that I can donate for ships repairs.
Just let me know where to drop the deeds off,
and I will get those supplies, to yall.

Won't be able to participate, since we have company coming on Veteran's Day, from San Diego. Our *sailor* girl is coming home, for a visit and she will be wanting turkey dinner, along about the 19th, before she has to leave us.

I can donate materials, wood, cloth, ingots, np. & probably some cannon balls and so forth too. They just sitting in the bank collecting dust anyhow, on com. deeds.
So Yall may as well use em !
Just give me a guesstimation of how much per resources
and I will drop those off for this naval warfare
in one of your house's mailboxes.

I can help donate gold too *sponsor* so to speak, for those that may need it to enter, or to buy some ship or whatevers.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So....scuttling a ship is what it's gonna take to get those chests, right? I guess that means if your ship is scuttled, folks on another ship can board yours. But is that only folks on the ship that scuttled yours, or any ship that happens to come along while your ship is in a scuttled state?

Sorry, sorta thinking and trying to picture how this works as I type. Not sure this makes sense.
Anyone can board you while scuttled, and yeah, you have to scuttle a ship to be able to raid their hold.

as for resources, cant even guess until we know how many teams.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Will be at my parents for a family dinner that evening.

However, 1 PM PST seems to be 10 PM for me so if it´s still going when I get home I might join if possible...

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not got my schedule for my part time seasonal job, but barring that I would like to participate. I do not have a team but would gladly join one. I can fight as either a tamer or chiv archer. I have a tokono ship with cannons and a Brit ship with missing cannons.
Luka you have a team, with Taz, Shamus, Larisa and I.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*counts* We may need another boat... *slow evil smile*

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see rumblings of a team on the White Council forums but I don't know who's leading it and who's ship. But I'll be a crewman for it!

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think there will be more than one ship from the White Council/Gilfane, etc. ;)

And thank you Raptor for coming up with this and being willing to run it. Great idea whose time has definitely come. I think it will be a hoot.

- Adrianas

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just FYI I need to start getting lists of the teams, While entry will still be allowed after I'm setting a "cutoff" for this monday night, if we don't have at least 6 teams by then I'll have to call off the event before too much time/resources are put into it. (not much point spending tons of gold doing it if only 5-6 people show up.)

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still looking for a list of teams, doesnt need to be final, just want to get a feel of the turnout or if the event will even have enough teams to occur.

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
white councill will prob submit 2 ships . one captained by borg and one by hoffs . exact crews yet to be determined.

edit . we might have a third ... dont count on it

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Our approximate team is listed above. Tho it looks like I will be working.

T

Tazar

I guess work is a good thing when it pays the bills... but hate that you'll have to miss the event.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Canceled due to lack of participants.

QZ, i couldnt find your house (you moved again?) so i left the box with czarina

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Canceled due to lack of participants.

QZ, i couldnt find your house (you moved again?) so i left the box with czarina
:(

Sorry to read, that this event was cancelled, due to lack of participants.

I donated the boards and cloth for ship repairs, for whomever on Siege,
[did get to participate], since we have USN company since Veterans Day,
home on leave, via my daughter being here, visiting.

Czarina, just put my box of resources into my mailbox,
go to Kelmo's pub and hang a right, on the waterfront.

*edits* I will save all those same resources, if ya re-sked this event, & I will just redonate em all back again for ships repairs* :)

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to hear it was cancelled. Was looking forward to reading a report on this. :(