• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Siege Ironman Challenge

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saturday 9th April, 3pm Eastern [8pm UK]

Siegers are a hardy breed, but only the toughest of them should consider entering this gruelling triathlon across the breadth of Britannia. Prizes will be awarded to the first male and female across the finishing line as well as the first finisher from NEW and from outside North America.

The contest is open to all fit humans and elves only, as such pursuits belong not to the temperament of gargoyles. However, gargoyles make excellent officials and any wishing to assist in the organization should please contact me.

The meeting point for the contest will be the Skara Brae Community Centre, just east of the bank. Sign-up for the event officially begins at 2.45pm Eastern and contestants should ensure they arrive in good time as entry cannot be guaranteed after 3pm.

Entry Requirements:

Only humans and elves may enter the event.

Clothing worn must be suitable for an athletic endeavour such as this. Permissible items are shirts (plain, short-sleeved ones), doublets, short pants and bandanas. Women may also choose from gym skirts and leotards (female leather skirt/armour bought from an NPC). Footwear, if worn, must be shoes or sandals - no boots.

No jewels or hand-held items may be equipped.

Contestants must empty their packs of all possessions. The only exception is one stack of refresh potions and either one stack of bandages or one stack of healing potions. In addition, please bring with you an old-style boat (no High Seas ships) if you own one.

Unless you are intimately familiar with Britannian geography, you should ensure you have some kind of mapping program (UOAM, UO Cartographer) available to you. You may also want to have paper and pencil handy to make a couple of notes.

Contestants who are members of a faction may not utilize monster ignore at any time during the event.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will not be able to use any forms. But anyway, your pack must be empty other than the allowed items, so no spellbooks.

P

PuddyMae

What do you mean by one stack? With my pack being empty I can carry a lot of bandies. Ill be there. Sounds like fun.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sounds fun unfortunely i cant participate because im gargoyle ohh well

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you forgot to mention what the event even is... lol

A triathlon??

PvP? PvM? Exploring?

Or is this seriously just travelling across sosaria while being naked?

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you forgot to mention what the event even is... lol

A triathlon??

PvP? PvM? Exploring?

Or is this seriously just travelling across sosaria while being naked?
Option D. Just a bit of fun. Sorry I can't do any better.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you mean by one stack? With my pack being empty I can carry a lot of bandies. Ill be there. Sounds like fun.
One stack = one stack. You probably won't need to do any healing anyway. Ten should be fine.

nightstalker22

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One stack = one stack. You probably won't need to do any healing anyway. Ten should be fine.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Will there be a course with checkpoints, or will we be allowed to run willy nilly any way we want to reach destination?

I suggest you make checkpoints, easily verified with mailboxes.

Have the runners carry a book or some item for each checkpoint. When they reach the checkpoint, they drop the item in the mailbox and their name is marked on it, verifying that the player was there at the checkpoint. Have a cartograhper make maps and plot a course for each runner. They will have to find the house checkpoint according to the map.
Decorate each mailbox uniformally so the runners know they are dropping it into the correct box.

Further, having check points that are not known before hand ensures that nobody can gate travel to them for a speedy race.

These are my suggestions, it adds more work for you, but will make the event better, Imo.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the help, but I have thought about the check-points stuff and such like. The details were left deliberately vague and all will be explained at the event. It is just a fun, RP type thing based around the real Ironman events. *shrugs*

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Further, having check points that are not known before hand ensures that nobody can gate travel to them for a speedy race.
Hence why the details are vague. Even so, if someone wants to cheat I'm sure they will find a way, if winning such a simple thing by deception means that much to them.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Less than a day to go now. Get on those exercise ki-rins.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can't wait to hear how this turned out. Been having my own Ironwoman challenge chasing after a 3 year old and a 6 year old all morning, fixing RC trucks, digging in the dirt, finding and burying worms. Fun stuff.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ironman Challenge was an arduous test indeed. The first part of the triathlon saw the competitors running on horseback from Vesper to Skara docks via Yew, keeping strictly to the road. Along the way they had to pass by several checkpoints and stop at various feeding stations for refreshment.

After reaching Skara they embarked on the second leg of the event, a long boating voyage to Trinsic via Jhelom. Those that survived the elements (and the elementals) had to endure a marathon run up to the finishing post at Britain.

Six exhausted competitors crossed the line at West Brit Bank with the following provisional times:

Penny Les Harlet - 35 minutes, 22 seconds
Agra-Lem - 36 minutes, 39 seconds
Gath Farlin - 37 minutes, 45 seconds
Sara Dale - 38 minutes, 7 seconds
Faenwen - 38 minutes, 24 seconds
Tal-san-su - 38 minutes, 47 seconds

But scandal emerged after the event, with three competitors failing the mandatory drug test! Tal was found to have every steroid and narcotic known to man (and elf) in his body, whilst Penny and Sara were also disqualified for irregularities. Naturally the aggrieved parties appealed, their claims focusing on invisible sausages and camouflaged tables, but the judges rejected them forthwith. To make matters worse, Gath was handed down a one minute penalty for cutting corners.

And so, the final result had Agra as overall winner and Faenwen as best female, both taking home a check for 500k gold. Despite his shortcomings, Gath received the 250k prize for best newcomer.

Congratulations to all who took part and many thanks to Branwyn and Kristiana for their superb officiating.

Barefoot Scribe

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This event was fun for the officials as well as the contestants and I would like to thank Hoffs for once again putting together a Seige event in which players of any skill level could participate (including crafters and rank beginners).
And as with the awesome and grueling dungeon crawl event, it demonstrates that the best EMs for Siege are in fact the players themselves.
Branwyn also offers her thanks to Cyril Snobbly of the Sosarian Humane Society for setting up a feeding station along the route for the horses and for rounding them up at the Scara docks when the contestants were done with the first leg of the race. (and for letting by-gones be by-gones at least for the event.

P

PuddyMae

It was fun Hoffs, even though you did hide the tables and sausages in the brambles.

Hoffs

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was fun Hoffs, even though you did hide the tables and sausages in the brambles.
I suggest you drop by the Britain Library tomorrow and see someone there about a pair of glasses.

Faenwen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what a race!!!
first i got the oldest and lames horse in whole of sosaria, and once i allmost fell of my horse... a naked lady passed me..... stark naked!!! and than my ship ohmy, a really old one, it hardly moved forward because the sails were full of holes! sara was running a ghostship i tried to follow her and rescue her but it was a trick, ghost ships fly!!! and than the running... i am not a bad runner but the others just ran passed me like lightning, must have been their shoes. later i heard they took shortcuts *shakes head*
i still won!!!!
*beams*

thank you for the event, it was just fantastic.
you put a lot of work in it as allways Hoffs .... THANK YOU !!!