• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Siege and PBDs... an idea.

G

Option 4 would bother me to some degree. Being only on Siege myself since May 2004 many players new here would never be able to afford 3x the cost to insure an item. That is kinda steep when one is still new here..it would just make the rich and the new be still far apart as the new here couldnt afford even that option possibly to insure an item if that was their only solution or choice they would still be...without, unless they could afford 3x the cost to insure one thing price tag.

A

Achilles.

If they can't afford 1800gp per death then can they really afford to buy anything worth blessing?

G

If a newb can't afford 1800 to insure something, they most likely he doesn't have anything worth insuring /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Siege is supposed to be a vet shard... risk vs reward.... harder than the production shards... etc... all that good stuff.

V

Virgil Tempest

You can find decent weapons for 1800 and they will be looted when you die.

G

True but they may acquire a really good weapon hunting ..so ok they have said weapon and maybe no real gp to keep insuring it at 3x the cost. It is just a thought that of all the options to replace a FREE pbd is so people that have not can have something covered somehow and get to use it and get keep it in battle post mortum. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

I realise it is a vet shard but people come here really poor. They might acquire a good item in an idoc even or as a gift or just find it..and still not have gp to insure it at 3x the cost. PBDS for all were to try to create balance between haves and... have nots.

A

Achilles.

I think new people have it pretty easy already. They have a whole guild to protect them and with recent changes money is pretty easy to come by. You could farm 1800gp in a graveyard very quickly. I'm a proponent of risk vs' reward and a blessed item is one hell of a reward, i would like a risk attached to it. But i won't fight over it.

PBD's for all or none (a piece of history forgotten) was about putting everyone on a level playing field, it wasn't about getting rid of wealth inequality. If we wanted that we would be proposing taxes. The richer will always have better things to bless, they will always have more.

G

I guess that is where the TAXMEN come in ! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif *laughs*

I have 30 pbds on chessie only used 2 and I never insured cuz it kills crafting. If I had my way ..we all be fighting old school style PRE aos, like back in the day, with just gm halleys and NOTHING blessed nor insured..ie SKILL based game over itemised game, where some items just to compete in pvp cost the price of a castle or better. But that will never happen, again. *sigh* The UO I loved vanished long time ago.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If they can't afford 1800gp per death then can they really afford to buy anything worth blessing?

<hr></blockquote>

For a newbie, a mageweapon wand or Jewelry may meen alot even if the value is only 500gp. He may not have easy with finding a new one.

Second, putting a price of 900 gp pn each newboe head may sounds great to newbie killers, but it will sure not help us get more players on Siege if a newbie die several times a day and it cost him 1800gp each time. Remember he will get res killed too and to prevent that, he will have to give up the rest of the items on his body.

Promoting res killing is a very bad idea

C

Cors Liadon

any of those are better than the current situation. i have PBDs on all my chars and would be totally fine with any of those changes. but im voting for 3 so the siege voice will finally be heard in unison instead of as scattered complaints.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

if you can't affort 1800gp then even a simple dagger lootet from npc is worth blessing.

i am for solution #3. it would be simple to code for the devs, cause it is only a modified version of the production shard insurance. free insurance would help every player, make it impossible for PK's to earn insurance money avoiding grief tactics.
With insurance not for free, you would force players to work for money and most important to use the bank, wich is afaik not allowed for gruntees. Not strikly forbidden in my guild, but only tolerated with both eyes closed.
With solution #3 PBD will become useless. I personally have no issues with that. My PBD saved me (our guild) a lot of money since i got it.

G

<font color=purple> Three for teh win! =)</font color=purple>

F

Fussel

hrm...I actually liked my idea *winks*
but then, for the sake of the equal for all thing...#3
everyone gets 1 free slot and the PBD owners get a rare

Oh and...could we after this discuss the unblessing of Bunny ears and hotpants, please?

M

Mandolin

<blockquote><hr>

shh. one thing at a time, we don't wanna confuse them.

<hr></blockquote>

I dunno about confuse, but we certainly don't want to distract them! As I said elsewhere today, baby steps. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

R

Raz'burz

I'd just like to point out that I actually just created a login for this board for the sole purpose of voting for option #3. If it will help, I can create additional login IDs to cast more votes.

When this actually happens - the party is at our place.

Raz

M

Mandolin

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

Oh believe me.. we'll be having parties all over the shard including the Yard where I'm gonna see if I can get Wilki and Binky to stand in the middle of Yard arena for a little game of pin the tail on the Dev.. *winks at Wilki*

W

Wilki

<blockquote><hr>

<hr></blockquote>

Let me remind everyone of the first sentence of my initial post:

"First, let me state that this is just an idea, and is in no way an indication of the direction we're going to go, or a promise of any kind. "

This was one idea of many on how to solve this issue. It may get implemented, or it may not. We may do something completely different. Please keep that in mind. That said, I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback as it has been most useful. I'll let you know when I have more information, which could take a bit of time.

Thanks everyone!

G

That being said, I will unsticky this thread. Thank you all for being civil. Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. Well done folks!

G

#3... is by far the greatest choice...

don't think people should be forced to pay for something others missed...
that and i do not want this becoming anything similar to trammel shards...
and it is not that bad of an idea...

it is hard enough some times for people to pvm without getting killed... (yes i've had some bad experiences in the past about pvm... seemingly always turns into pvp... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif )

but i figure with free insurance... it would give all new players here something to actually not have to pay for...

EX: Paladines are by far the best pvm fighter i've seen... yet their spells cost gold... not regs... just pure and true gold. now this is not a bad thing... but as someone said in a previous post that they can make an easy 2k in the graveyard in a couple minutes... thats nice and everything...

but most characters need to use spells and such to kill alot of things.(with the exception of fighters and samurai, oh and ninjas as well)

it's just a little imput on what i think about this whole mess... and i really thing that the dev team should REALLY consider making option number three a reality... i know forsure if it was so... i'd make another character just for fun...

I was thinking a samurai paladine... or mabye i'll just try and make a tamer for the first time... for me... EVER.

ah well... i still say option number 3 is by far the best option that any of us can choose here and i think alot of people should consider this option, i don't see why people wouldn't choose this option more...

I mean seriously it would be as though the dev team created PBD's for everyone... EVERYONE... isn't that what we wanted... all or none right...?

many of you confuse me... most of us want number 3 because it is a PBD for all... but now some of you are saying you want a reward for pvp... isn't the armor or jewlery... or even weapon a great enough reward.

if you want a reward join factions and try and get silver... atleast it looks better then gold (to me that is)

yes this post is very long... but i like it being this long /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif makes it look much more important /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif !

oh and one more thing... in the end of this... if we don't get PBD's because this thread would be locked because we argue to much... so be it, it's those that argues loss... many of us that say #3 either don't have a bunch of money to spend on rez killing or they already have PBD's and want to make a fair playing field for all...

I don't understand why it's mainly the people that have PBD's that want to make it a fair playing field... don't think i'll ever understand it really.

Now i really don't want a bunch of foul comments about this post... I am just voiceing my opinion for those that have not yet voiced theirs... i don't think people should pay gold for their death... just doesn't seem right...

oh and one more thing... not to get off track with the whole post... but i know alot of people look at this post every so often... but does anyone have a SC cleaver... or a scythe that is really good... (note: it can have the penalty, doesn't matter, as long as it is good.)