• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shroud of Avatar gameplay videos

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didnt see any thread yet so thought I post them. Hope this isn't any issue :) Actually this is something I can do on my downtime from time to time. Reminds me of the old Ultima feel of UO.

I will admit that I am very impressed.

Last edited:

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm.. Should be "Lunar Rift" , not Lunar Gate... But that's just knit-picking.

Interesting that there is EXP.. Must be it won't be ENTIRELY skill based. Still, I backed it all the same. :thumbup:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The main Ultimas were level/EXP based. UO is the only one that was purely skill based. The leveling aspect of the Ultima series wasn't as played up as it is in other RPGs though. It seemed to take a back seat to the story and things going on in the world.

Coldren

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The main Ultimas were level/EXP based. UO is the only one that was purely skill based. The leveling aspect of the Ultima series wasn't as played up as it is in other RPGs though. It seemed to take a back seat to the story and things going on in the world.
The story and things going on in the world ARE important, on that we are in agreement.

In the live stream with Portalarium this afternoon, there was talk of skills, though, so how the two will work together should be interesting.

I'm absolute looking into the elements that make Ultima an Ultima (Story, moral/ethical boundries, deep world, etc.), but I do place some value on how those things are presented through gameplay.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those videos are interesting but they don't show a lot (although overhead text, yay). A key thing that makes UO so unique (and a lot of other developers usually miss because they obsess over housing or open PvP or whatever) is the level of interactivity. It is the only online game I have played where you can craft a chair, place it on the ground, and then sit on it. The videos haven't really shown anything in that regard that I can see.

So I hope it retains that level of interactivity and the environments are more than a glorified "dollhouse".

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not UO though. It's a different game and any UO ex or current must understand this. Jumping into a game and expecting it to be like UO or any other game they had enjoyed just doesn't work and sets that person up for a major disapointment.

RG created UO and he understands what players are looking for. He also is focusing more on the mobile market so we should expect things wont be like UO in the sens of game features, playing and all. As I have seen comments already on other threads and sites talking about instanced part of SOTA I am compelled to take a stab at it as an example.

GW1 has an instance. Yes, in cities you can mingle with all the players but once you step out into the world unless you are with your party of friends you are going solo with NPC hereos. I figure he will have a system close to that but that is a total guess. Some people were comparing it to Diablo III instances.

SOTA looks promising and I truly believe many current UO players, ex UO players, and Ultima fans will enjoy the game as long as they understand it's not going to be UO or UO2.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know it is not UO and I am not expecting UO. I'm just saying that a world that is not entirely decorative is what I am hoping for. U7 wasn't and UO wasn't so I'm hoping SotA won't be either. I think it is a reasonable expectation. =P

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'm not expecting UO out of this... it seems more of a competitor for U4E than UO.