• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Showing off the new house!

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think this is the first time in a while that I'm actually "happy" with my house... of course it remains to be seen whether this satisfaction will last ;) But I thought I'd share the mess-in-progress and get some tips on where to take it from here! I wanted to lean toward an asian-inspired deco feel, not too heavy but I -do- live in Zento and I like the look so I thought I'd mix things up a bit and mesh styles... here's what happened:

The house's layout is almost the same as last time around... it's one of the only times I've ever not torn down and rebuilt the whole thing. :D

Inside, first floor and unfinished kitchen. Going for stone counters... when I can find the stone. I also want to get a few more elegant armoires and line them up as cupboards above the counter area for crafting storage - will that work, do you think, or is it too much? The bit on the right I've got no clue what to do with, but I'm leaning toward making it either a dining area or a gardening nook to match the one I'm starting in the other wing.

2nd floor, gotta get rid of the table and place setting and I think I'll put up a little sitting area in that space, maybe with a nice light fixture. One teleporter has to stay because I can't think up a better way to get upstairs (the ladder is 'shaky' at best and really annoys me, so I left it as deco only), but the other's only there till I decide I like the house well enough to use the stairs full-time (because oy, it's such a pain collecting and placing gozas after every little tweak!)

Third floor, I really like this one. The sitting area to the left is coming together slowly; and the bedroom - I think I'm going to switch the bed direction so it 'fits' the room better, but at least I have a bed! :p

Things I'd like to hear from you guys... does the curtain look ok in the 2nd floor balcony, should I stick doors in, or find something else (screens might look nice, if I can find the pretty wood ones!)? What suggestions do you have (other than rares displays since I have none XD) for the space on the first floor? Anything else deco-wise that you would add to the house?

I don't really want to change the layout in a big way, but I could live with adding a dividing wall inside, or tweaking the floor tiles, or switching a few rooms... mostly I'm looking for deco ideas that will bring the layout to life. :)

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, I stole it from one of the other "post your deco" threads because I am a bibliophile IRL and it appealed greatly to my sense of "pretty things". :D

F

feath

on the third floor, i'd switch placement of the bed with the dresser. and I'd open the curtains.
i love the little lamp with the chain string *steals idea*
and i love being able to see down into the bookcases.
the fountain and tea area is super -
first floor - i'm not a fan of crates and chests - but, if you just keep the same theme, it would work better. ALL crates or all chests or all boxes. i don't think the fire place works there, because that's a 'homey' touch, and that floor looks to be a crafters area. it just doesn't seem to fit to me.
i really love the house though, the basic layout is super and works very smoothly.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd put a dividing wall between the kitchen and workshop. Not all the way across, part way with an arch in the centre.

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:) Thanks for the advice! I think I'll pick a storage container type and go with it... for now though I have just been using what I have on hand. My crafter is not done (much to my dismay) so I have to find what I want in other ways.

Feath, I get what you said about the downstairs looking like a crafter's area... my final goal is to take that 'look' and toss it out the window :p I am planning to use the 'hidden forge and anvil' that was posted here to safely tuck away my crafter's things and will probably throw some plants and containers around the area to make it look less.. .well, messy. Plus once the counters are in place I think it'll look better. I'll see how the dividing wall looks, Petra :) I had one half across before and didn't like it too much but an arch might look better!

F

feath

that was my hidden forge idea lol - and for some reason it didn't work! (it did the first time i built it!)
So I remade it, and took out the middle section, so the fire is seen in the middle of the stone. Haven't tried it out yet, but i think that should fix the problem.
so embarrassing lol
looking forward to seeing your finished house!

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, lovely! I really need to get inspiration for a new design. I can't stand marble for the most part, and yet that's what i have now. It's so... icky.

Anyways, I love the large bookcase visible from the floor above... *ponders, grins, and steals basic idea* Also, as some of my friends could tell you, I have a thing for plater and stone houses. The stone walls on the first floor with the plaster walls on the other floors has always looked good in my opinion.

As Petra Fyde suggested, an archway dividing the crafting and kitchen areas might look nice...

The garden with the pond looks beautful, I've never been good with plants, but I love how they work with the pond.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very cute! I like the choices you picked for the different wall types and roof, and the little pond came out very well. =)

Faerunner

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*dances* Yay, Sarsmi likes my house! :D I must've done something right! :p

Faeryl, you're welcome to "steal" any ideas you like... heck, if I had more of my old layouts saved I'd share those too. I think imitation in house design is truly a form of flattery. ^_^

I'm still working on juggling crafting (lots and lots of it, so I can finally make stuff for my house!), gathering gold, and finding deco items, but it's slowly coming together.

If anyone wants to stop by and give me tips in person, or just see my progress, I'm West of Zento, nearly a straight run out from the road north of the bank on Chessy. The house is open to the public so feel free to wander through and leave notes.