• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should UO go back to being rated, "M" for mature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil Ispep

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring back the 'M' rating. With an M rating back in the day, my orc could chop corpses, and eat the entrails.

Other than the blood/gore factor, theres no real big change IMO, with an 'M' rating. For those worried about profanity around young ears, theres a filter built into UO for that reason... (however, wouldnt you love to hear the words kids learn in school?)

G

*wishes she could have a profanity filter for her across the road neighbours*

I would like the M rating back so we could have things 'the way they were meant to be' but at the risk of losing some of the younger players ive come to know would be a massive down side.
Maturity is an interesting area. theres a 14 yr old that plays on UO who is leaps and bounds more mature then a couple of 15-17 yr olds that play.

G

Seriously though UO is the only place I have ever seen the word **** considered "bad" and bannable. Why the hell is that word something they fret over? I can drop F bombs and not get banned because the game has a T rating but say the word **** and your going to be banned instantly. Racial slurs I can understand because no one should have to put up with that [censored] but ****?

Also to my knowledge **** is the only sexually oriented word that when used will get you banned or even jailed/warned.

G

I believe it started with a guild titled MDK and how they treated players (one specifically) that got a BUNCH of net press at the time via Lum the Mad. They were also one of the first guilds banned en-masse because of their behaviour.

From that point forward, the powers that be decided to have basically a zero tolerance for the issue of the word and connotation because of what happened mainly with MDK.

(BTW: If I also remember correctly, this occurred during the time UO was still an M rated game)

G

<blockquote><hr>

-------------------------------------------------------
so what? i personally enjoy saying whatever i want to people in uo, its such a pain fearing that someone is going to page on me for what i say, i pvp a lot and talk smack to the people i fight, theres no censor in real life so there shouldn't be in a game, i play uo to ****talk seriously i find it very enjoyable and i love to piss people off, its so dumb getting banned for
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so then i would say
1.then i am sorry, u never learn in real life how to respect other people, u never learn a social behavior,and u must have many problems in real life.

2. where do u life???
in germany u CAN/and GET adjudged for abusing others
( go and name a policemen an as..le 700-1000€ worth this single word)
in MANY countries of the world u come in jail for abusing people

3. ure form of amusement is absolutly strange and out of the normality

i am soooo sorry for u

ahh, just forgot to say:

WHY u xxx some words here on stratics, if it would be true what u say that in real life is no censor????????????

i wished ea would know who u are in game, u should be get banned only for such a statement here.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are a very ignorant person sir, i am a pvper and most people that i know who pvp love to talk smack to people, its fun and they know it pisses them off, its just fun to anger people sometimes

1. i am very respectful of people when it is a non pvp scene, and the way i act in uo does not reflect how i act in real life in the slightest way, guaranteed

2. i live in new york, i am actually half german however and was not aware of this, that is pretty dumb in my opinion, i guess germany has to get the US first amendment implemented into their society, here i do not have respect for the policemen, half of them are crooked cops with a badge and think they can do whatever they want just because they have a badge, they shoot a guy 30 times and think they can get away with it, you wont get in trouble here for saying something to a police officer unless you go on and on and keep cursing at him constantly then maybe, but them having a badge does not make them immune, becoming a policeman is so unbelieveably easy to do and cops here get paid $25,100 to start, atleast now they are required to go to 2 years of college instead of them all being dumb

3. maybe to you it is not of the norm, but you live in germany, your society is different, this is what myself and many people that i know enjoy doing, it is very fun to do, by the way you responded you most likely do not pvp at all which is a shame because if UO didnt have pvp it would be a pointless game, its there for a reason, you probably just kill monsters and sit at the bank all day when there is so much more to do :/ sure i am a mediocre rare collector but i have a pvp/aggressive side of me as well

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah, it probably is, but I don't think there's the ability to split threads into multis with this software (wonder if there is in the stuff the other parts of Stratics are already using).

As someone watching the EU from outside, I was considering where Germany (and some other states) have constant vigilance against the hate speech of Neo-Nazis, yet ignore (if not pander) to the exact same words coming from the lips of radical Islamists, both immigrants and native converts (and letting those types ruin the reputation of other, moderate, Muslim sects in the process).

Though, your example of hypocrasy in the US is fairly accurate (remembers some of the anti-semitic remarks over the years made by "leaders" in the black community that act like anything BUT).

G

*tagging to last*

UHall is NOT the place to discuss politics. Or to attempt insulting each others contries
and political systems.

If you are over 18yo you can participate in our OT instance, if not - please limit the discussions to online gaming and UO.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.