• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should Spell Reflection be Modified? (again)

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am not sure if anyone uses spell reflection or what actual benefits it now provides. I remember when it reflected every spell cast on it and then had to be recast to renew it. Why was this eliminated?

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not sure if anyone uses spell reflection or what actual benefits it now provides. I remember when it reflected every spell cast on it and then had to be recast to renew it. Why was this eliminated?
Magic reflection? It does reflect spells when the reflection pool is charged, it also modifies your resists, and you recast to renew it...so what are you proposing they change?

It's pretty widely used in pvp.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG that's right.....Pets can now cast spells, alot.....NERF MAGIC REFLECTION!!!!!

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It wasn't eliminated... it works exactly how you describe!

GM Inscription boosts the effectiveness of Magic Reflect too btw. Pretty popular spell tbh, it's handy-dandy. Check your Buff/Debuff bar to check out what % of reflection juice is left on your spell. When it reaches zero, (maybe two big spells in PvP, or ten small spells reflected) then you can recast to recharge, after the delay timer is up. Good spell to precast off screen if you get a chance to in the middle of a mage field fight.

Was the effort to cast MR on your char and test it was less than the effort to make a completely asinine Stratics post?

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK - I'll spell it out. DO PETS NOW CAST IT ON THEMSELVES and if so does it work the same way? Monsters spells don't diminish the pool but I assume pet spells do.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK - I'll spell it out. DO PETS NOW CAST IT ON THEMSELVES and if so does it work the same way? Monsters spells don't diminish the pool but I assume pet spells do.
Test it out and let us know

Pets don't have inscribe so I can't imagine it'd be more than one spell. Prolly easy enough to test.

Hop to it smart guy

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Folks -

This thread needs to get on track or it's going to be locked. The majority of posts here have been veiled comments about one another's intelligence. It needs to stop. It's the same few folks from the other PVP topics with their gripes spilling over into multiple threads now. If you're unable to discuss the topic in a respectful and meaningful manner that does not involve insults or other personal swipes, you will be thread banned. Clean up to follow...

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pets that have the Magery Mastery ability do cast Spell Reflection from time to time, which modifies their Resists. Not sure how effective it is though for actually reflecting spells, since they don't have Inscrip skill. Magic Reflection's pool is based off of Magery, Magic Resist and Inscription. 120 Magery/120 Resist/GM Inscrip gives a player a 100% Reflection Pool, which is enough to reflect 1 full Flamestrike.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Did not know they changed magic reflection, sadly from what i have read here it is now a pvp only spell. I tried casting it on my mage, he has 120 mage/120 eval and it shows a 5% reflection pool, so i am guessing the key skill(S) is Inscription and/or resist. anyway from what i have read here it would not be effective in pvm. I remember i thought this spell was basically useless before stygian abyss, and only a bit after for a mystic fighter. Given you apparently need GM inscip, I can only see this being useful in short fights in pvp, otherwise I would think you would put the 100 skill points somewhere more useful than inscrip. Mind that i have not tried it out since i rarely pvp, and it is obviously bad for pvm, so could be missing something.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did not know they changed magic reflection, sadly from what i have read here it is now a pvp only spell. I tried casting it on my mage, he has 120 mage/120 eval and it shows a 5% reflection pool, so i am guessing the key skill(S) is Inscription and/or resist. anyway from what i have read here it would not be effective in pvm. I remember i thought this spell was basically useless before stygian abyss, and only a bit after for a mystic fighter. Given you apparently need GM inscip, I can only see this being useful in short fights in pvp, otherwise I would think you would put the 100 skill points somewhere more useful than inscrip. Mind that i have not tried it out since i rarely pvp, and it is obviously bad for pvm, so could be missing something.

Inscribe has two other uses, 5casting focus and 10 spell damage increase to go along with the magic reflect. Some do use it in pvm as a means of reaching max spell damage.

It is a short lived buff in all scenarios, mainly meant for turning on before you engage in something that's probably will get you killed. Think of it as attunement from weaving but for spells with the added benefit that it reflects the damage back

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
did not know about the casting focus buff, although I got no use for anything that is not 100% due to the UO rng, and from what i seen on items i doubt you can get more than 20-30%. well for pvp it sounds ok( though i personally would put the skill points somewhere more useful), but if they want it to be useful for pvm, i think they would need to change how it works against mobs(what it does now wouldn't even be a scratch against current mobs).

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like to have it changed, too! Same with Protection.

Fire Warrior

Adventurer
Its actually useful in pvm, perhaps not that useful versus bosses but actually it is somewhat. Its much better with inscription than without IMO. Often times I will use it with my mage when dealing with annoying casting monsters that are very disruptive towards spell casting or make it tricky to heal. It works, albeit somewhat limited but more than effective enough to use - especially with 2/6 casting. Well worth it IMO. Inscribe is not a bad skill right now.

Protect I agree should be revisited. I'd prefer it only go down -1 FC instead of -2. That would make it worthwhile. At -2 and the magic resist penalties it isn't worth it right now.

As for magic reflect - it takes some getting used to as far as checking your magic reflect pool etc, but once you understand it and get 'into rhythm' of using it - it can be quite a useful part of your magic game.