• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should my smith/tailor be an elf?

G

I see that I get a 60% chance as opposed to a 40% chance for a colored bod if I"m an elf. Should I make my char and elf? What are the drawbacks and what are the other benefits?

thx

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Never heard of THAT before. I think your information's wrong, or for one of the illegal shards we can't' discuss here.

It's 50% colored/50% Iron for Armor BODs (all weapons are Iron, so this works out to 25% colored armor/25% Iron Armor, 50% weapons) from 70 to 110 skill.

At 110, it goes to 70% colored Armor (35% colored Armor, 15% Iron Armor, 50% Weapons).

At 120, it goes to 90% colored Armor (45% colored Armor, 5% Iron Armor, 50% Weapons).

Race has never had ANYTHING to do with BODs - only to collecting resources (such as mining and lumberjacking)

G

Hmm, I gotta find where I read that this is the case. I was pretty sure it was at either uoguide.com or Stratics since those are the only two UO related sites I visit.

G

You might be thinking of Mining. Elves have a 60% chance of getting more colored ore from a spot than humans.

N

Natalie Black

Below are the benefits of elves

Night Sight
Elves always have the effect of a full strength Night Sight spell.

Infused with Magic
Elves have an increased energy resistance cap. Elven players must still increase their actual resistances through normal means (i.e. through equipment and magical effects).

Knowledge of Nature
Elves receive an increase to their chance of acquiring special resources such as colored ore when mining or special boards when lumberjacking.

Difficult to Track
Elves are more difficult to track than humans.

Perception
Elves gain an increased chance to passively detect hidden monsters and enemies.

Wisdom
Elves receive a bonus to their maximum mana.

I

imported_miss uo

I see that I get a 60% chance as opposed to a 40% chance for a colored bod if I"m an elf. Should I make my char and elf? What are the drawbacks and what are the other benefits?

G

<blockquote><hr>

You might be thinking of Mining. Elves have a 60% chance of getting more colored ore from a spot than humans.

[/ QUOTE ]Ahh, this must be what I was thinking. Is this enough to make me turn my smith into an elf? Thoughts?

N

Natalie Black

Only if your smith is also the character you mine with.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Ahh, this must be what I was thinking. Is this enough to make me turn my smith into an elf? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have to weigh the extra 'special' resources agianst not being able to carry as much, Humans can carry more stones than elves.

Personally, I only have one elf char out of 2 accounts, and it's not either of my crafters.

J

jelake

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's disputable whether this advantage even works as intended. I have a human miner who consistently gets 75%(3 colored swings for every iron swing) or better yield from most colored ore spots every time they respawn. One thing the elf might give you an advantage in is getting more gems? I can't confirm this though.