• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should I Come Back? I am a lost MMO fan..

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know you guys get this question so often, but I am a lost MMO soul. The more I think, the more confused i get.

I played Ultima Online off and on since 1997 and have never seen or done it all. In my last stint in 2007 I purchased the whole Valor armor set for my Paladin and had a nice house. I pulled all my items out of the house because I knew it would crumble when I quit.

Blad Blah Blah..

Let me get to the point.

Something is missing. I play World of Warcraft now. I tried Vanguard, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online. All of them are fine games I guess, and I have the latest and greatest computer to run them too.

But something is missing..

I have been obsessed with Ultima games and their lore since 1985 when my friend showed me Ultima IV. From then on I have played all the games and was depressed when UX was canceled. There is something about the Ultima world I cant let go of. Perhaps the music? Maybe its the lore and background? Maybe it is the shape of Britannia which I could draw blindfolded? Maybe its the fact that it is the only real sandbox MMO, and that every little object you see has a way in which you can use it?

Is it mostly nostalgia or do I belong in Britannia?

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh... the music. The music was such a draw for me to jump into UO. I loved the Ultima music since U-III. I would listen to the songs that I'd find online and it would bring back nostalgic memories.
Um, maybe you'd like to try the Kingdom Reborn client? Same game with a twist? Will work for you since you have a nice rig.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played Kingdom Reborn last year. I liked it. However because it is 3d slapped on 2d it felt unoptimized. Has it improved since last November? I remember the massive slow downs while running through the streets of Malas when the system was loading all those vendors. Is KR still like this?

Regarding music, as much as I loved the original Ultima Online music the addition a couple years ago of the Ultima IX music was very nice. Yes, I am such an Ultima fan that even Ultima VIII and IX could do no wrong.

S

Solikos

No harm in trying it out... I too started with the release of UO, but I quit shortly after the release of Trammel. I've recently returned after nearly a decade of playing other MMORPGs; the game has changed a lot.

Personally I don't get much thrill from the PvM side of the game, so I suppose I cannot speak on that part of it. Some changes to the game (depending on when you last played) have made PvP... different. Personally I hate insurance, but factions are looking interesting (when I quit they were just introduced to Test).

Siege still uses a lot of the old school rules which I think is very appealing to many old timers.

If you like Role Playing (you seem to fit the mold) there still seem to be some good opportunities around.

I guess most players in game now find a niche and stick to it... Depending on your server you will have access to different things, though PvM and item farming is pretty general over the board.

There is a 15 day trial if you have your doubts and mind paying the monthy fee. UOKR is a client that uses newer graphics... It doesn't run well on my computer and personally I find the old look of UO more attractive - Honestly who plays UO for the graphical quality anyway? It does have a lot more build-in programs (macros and maps) which are handy.

I suggest you try it out again and see if you can find a niche you can enjoy. I'm back for a test run myself - some dabbling around to see if I can get myself setup again. If not I'll probably jump on Guild Wars or something far less in-depth as UO, but something to kill time.

Then again, if you just like the music, there are cheaper forms of obtaining it.

~ Solikos

T

timbeOFbaja

I wouldn't right now. This game is a bit of a mess with the devs trying to make everybody happy and keep subscribers rather than creating a compelling game. With the Mythic transition I think there are bound to be some fundamental philosophical changes in the near future and it's going to be a mess till everything is sorted out.

If you're just jonezing for an MMO then I'd suggest CoH or Eve Online. Eve has the same wild west atmosphere in low security space and compells vets to go there in the later game, is free of powerlevelling, money is very easy to get, graphics are cool, there are a TON of people on all the time, and the next expansion pack will allow you to get out of your ship and walk around the bases.

CoH is a blast. Once you've levelled a few characters to 50 you'll be done with the game, but, up to that point, it will be far more fun than grinding away in WoW.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, it's not worth it. Stay away...really...la
Are you the official UO Stratics troll? I mean, every time I create a new post I have to put up with your BS. The other day I made a post about an Ultima poll and you were the first to respond with your negativity.

Do me a favor and stay out of my threads.

P

Prince Caspian

"God, WHY do you play Ultima online? The graphic suck."

I hear this all the time from other MMORPG.

I'm an old gamer (erm, 30s), and I have been involved in computer games since they came out. It is an area of my life where I feel I can really say I'm an expert from decades of living the culture.

And I'm still kinda scarred from the 80s-90s. Great graphics usually meant that the game itself sucked ass. I still maintain that Pirates! was one of the best games ever made, and it had lousy graphics. However, the depth was amazing.

And the entire Ultima series was built on depth. "We Create Worlds," as the old OSI slogan went -- in the cities, the NPCs actually followed clocks -- they would go have breakfast in the morning, close their shop at night, go home and sleep in their beds in the late hours. You could go to a field with a scythe, reap some grain, use the grain in the mill, and make flour, which you could then turn into bread.

The attention to detail, to make the world come to life, was, and is, amazing.

Everquest really turned me off when I went to it because... admittedly, the graphics were top notch (for the time), but the environment was utterly non-interactive. Just killing beasties isn't enough to make an RPG decent, in my opinion. What else cna I do in your world other than swing swords and cast spells?

Ultima always has had that depth that other RPGs never come close to.

That's why I'm here until the end.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You said it best Prince.

If someone was to ask why I have played UO, that would be a great copy/paste answer. I still really dont see as much depth as I do in UO.

I am also 38 years old and I have noticed that a lot of us 30+ play Ultima Online because its an older game and we grew up with Ultima games.

The itch to come back grows....

I played on Pacific. Anyone else from there?

Anyone have an answer yet if KR is smoother since Nov of 2007?

S

Solikos

You could go to a field with a scythe, reap some grain, use the grain in the mill, and make flour, which you could then turn into bread.
I agree with your post, except for this example. I think in the years that I've played UO, I've done this once... maybe. Then decided it was boring, and I *would* rather be smacking around goblins in EQ...

UO does have a cool world, without a doubt... Unfortunately after you've experienced and explored a good part of it, you fall into the gutter with everyone else trying to do typical PvP / PvM stuff. The above example does show an in-depth world, but not necessarily an enjoyable one.

Anyway, not sure why I had to add my 2 cents there... Guess I'm bored at work.

+ 1 post count?

~ Solikos

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You said it best Prince.

If someone was to ask why I have played UO, that would be a great copy/paste answer. I still really dont see as much depth as I do in UO.

I am also 38 years old and I have noticed that a lot of us 30+ play Ultima Online because its an older game and we grew up with Ultima games.

The itch to come back grows....

I played on Pacific. Anyone else from there?

Anyone have an answer yet if KR is smoother since Nov of 2007?
KR does run much better now, per many of the posters on these boards. And, I have read, there are some really cool skins out there for KR.

I currently am playing Pac, mainly atm. It was my first shard 10 years ago, and after moving to new shards, every few years, it is back to Pac.

A

AthenePac

My 2D UO houses sure beat having no house at all in WOW. I don't feel like logging into WOW today because my bank slots and bags are all full and I can't figure out what to get rid of, and it will take me too long to go through and figure it out.

T

timbeOFbaja

Yeah Prince you'd be right if OSI still ran the show. At this point, UO is an EA game. Had OSI kept the game and continued along the lines of their motto and just added more and more life to the game then I'd agree. As it is, all the life OSI originally built into the game has been, at best, left untouched and, at worst, steadily eroded by the EA model. To me, those remnants of the old UO model are difficult reminders of what the game once was and could have been..........not things to be celebrated because they are no longer what the game is about. It's now about dangling carrots....get that uber arty, get that uber armor, get that uber dragon.......make the archers happy and give them potions......make the tamers happy and give them more powerful things to tame......make the mages happy by adding more SC FC stuff.....ugh......in short transport the uber gear motivation from the WoW end game into UO.

M

Mankind

Are you the official UO Stratics troll? I mean, every time I create a new post I have to put up with your BS. The other day I made a post about an Ultima poll and you were the first to respond with your negativity.

Good luck with this request. It's like spraying lysol on a roach. It does absolutely nothing..

B

Barrakketh

I know you guys get this question so often, but I am a lost MMO soul. The more I think, the more confused i get.

I played Ultima Online off and on since 1997 and have never seen or done it all. In my last stint in 2007 I purchased the whole Valor armor set for my Paladin and had a nice house. I pulled all my items out of the house because I knew it would crumble when I quit.

Blad Blah Blah..

Let me get to the point.

Something is missing. I play World of Warcraft now. I tried Vanguard, Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online. All of them are fine games I guess, and I have the latest and greatest computer to run them too.

I have been obsessed with Ultima games and their lore since 1985 when my friend showed me Ultima IV. From then on I have played all the games and was depressed when UX was canceled. There is something about the Ultima world I cant let go of. Perhaps the music? Maybe its the lore and background? Maybe it is the shape of Britannia which I could draw blindfolded? Maybe its the fact that it is the only real sandbox MMO, and that every little object you see has a way in which you can use it?

If you like the game play , activate that account its just a game , what like only 12 bucks a month !? If you got the time and the money then play why bother making a post ? Unless there is something else....
Sorry I would elaborate but raid starts in a few minutes and we are taking down archy tonight laterz....:party:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Get over yourself. Please. The question was asked. I answered. If you have an issue with my response, spark a discussion about it...don't whine about it...la

C

Connor_Graham

Don't listen to the naysayers. Now would be a perfect time to return. You'd have just enough time to get used to all of the changes that have occured and get yourself up and running before Stygian Abyss is released at the end of summer.

A

Azazel of LA

I just came back a couple months ago and Im glad I did. Still alot needs to be fixed but I havent found anything like UO so I just stopped looking. Dont listen to that "Haters" , if they hate the game so much why are they still posting on the boards?

W

Wallenstein

Blad Blah Blah..

Let me get to the point.

I'm right with you.. I quit back in 2006 and just returned to the game a week ago. I was navigating through my computer and searching for .mp3 files when I clicked on one and it was the Ice Island music. The nostalgia was ridiculous so I had to re-join. I'm happy that I did, too.

It's almost more fun after you quit for a year or so and then come back. The only bad thing is re-learning the prices of everything and getting a handle of the economy. But that only takes a week.

I'd say it's worth coming back. I've played WoW, LoTRO, etc. just like you but not one of those games has captured me as much as UO. Regardless of the graphics in LoTRO, WoW, or any other new MMO, the simplicity and depth of UO simply crush all other games.

B

butthead owns

no buy a new game cuss uo is going down hill due to lost of real gms that work on the shards they cant seem to hire real ones these days nor do they even respond to u so my sugesstion would be find a real game where there least can seem to charge your card the same time each month and maybe even if u have in game issues help u with them the game use to be the greatest i swear but seems now u have to cheat to compeat which i wont do so i guess i will find a real game my self and bann uo!

E

Eslake

I left after Beta'ing KR. I thought "If they force this on everyone, the game is Over!" and headed off to be among the first rats off the ship.

I just came back about 3 weeks ago. I have an 18x18 (already full) am stockpiling points in the current Clean Up program, and got the 7th char slot and finally made a ninja... animal forms are neat and smoke bombs rule!

IMO, if you're asking you will come back at some point. You might as well do it now so you can get some Cleanup items before they're gone. I know I'm still kicking myself for the anniversary gifts I've missed.

donjn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I left after Beta'ing KR. I thought "If they force this on everyone, the game is Over!" and headed off to be among the first rats off the ship.

I just came back about 3 weeks ago. I have an 18x18 (already full) am stockpiling points in the current Clean Up program, and got the 7th char slot and finally made a ninja... animal forms are neat and smoke bombs rule!

IMO, if you're asking you will come back at some point. You might as well do it now so you can get some Cleanup items before they're gone. I know I'm still kicking myself for the anniversary gifts I've missed.
What are cleanup items and how do I find them?

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Don't worry about him. He's just mad because his no skill grieving template was rightfully nerfed years ago.

S

Sarphus

I'm an old gamer (erm, 30s), and I have been involved in computer games since they came out. It is an area of my life where I feel I can really say I'm an expert from decades of living the culture.

And I'm still kinda scarred from the 80s-90s. Great graphics usually meant that the game itself sucked ass. I still maintain that Pirates! was one of the best games ever made, and it had lousy graphics. However, the depth was amazing.

And the entire Ultima series was built on depth. "We Create Worlds," as the old OSI slogan went -- in the cities, the NPCs actually followed clocks -- they would go have breakfast in the morning, close their shop at night, go home and sleep in their beds in the late hours. You could go to a field with a scythe, reap some grain, use the grain in the mill, and make flour, which you could then turn into bread.

Everquest really turned me off when I went to it because... admittedly, the graphics were top notch (for the time), but the environment was utterly non-interactive. Just killing beasties isn't enough to make an RPG decent, in my opinion. What else cna I do in your world other than swing swords and cast spells?

Well said. The first 2 xcom games were also awesome. The last pirates game wasn't bad, but the dancing was really a stupid addition.

I'm in UO till the end just like you for the same reasons.

S

Sarphus

What are cleanup items and how do I find them?
www.uo.com

Get the patch notes for publishes 52, 53 and 54. It looks like the cleanup brit stuff will be active till about end of august. If you go to trammel britain and look for people, you'll probably find someone willing to show you where the turnin npcs are.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Yup...some of the best games that have ever been released looked like this:

The stories were just so much fun!

-Skylark

M

Masuo Kenji

I came back to UO about a week and a half ago, after several months of game-hopping.

I've played every other MMO out there (even the odd Korean ones), and over time, they would eventually remind me of what I missed the most in UO.

So I came back to Siege because I feel the shard needs me, and I need it as it's the only place where I will be satisfied.

I suggest you come back, but make sure you have a guild or a group of friends to keep you company. Being alone is a big reason that makes people quit.

And if you ever want to try out Siege, feel free to hop onto our boards and say Hi.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To answer Donjn's question, KR is much better since Dec '07. They did some bug fixes, but not the major ones we're waiting for, like slow keypress delay or CTL-shift oddities, or not being able to drop items on floor half the time.

Regardless, it's worth trying and learning it because I feel it will be the future. It has great potential. Plus it looks good on the newer 17" or 19"+ widescreen monitors whereas in 2D, you have to keep changing the resolution to that god aweful 800x600. Yeah, it needs a better computer than what the 2D runs, but heck, it works fine on my slow celeron laptop.

KR is excellent for crafting because you can set "make max" and mark as "quest item" and BAM! it makes your item.
The map needs a little work still, but I love being able to see my party when I get lost following them and I like how it shows what and where the shops are in town (like UO-automap). Shows where the wandering healers are when you die and where your corpse is if you can't find it.

And there are skins available. Yes... nice player made skins that make the interface even better. I loaded "bitter black" skin and it's awesome. (From uoskins.com - check it out!). Skins can be clicked on or off in the option menu on the fly!.
**as I write this, I see a new updated skin! :danceb:

G

galefan2004

Yeah he is, but he plays SP, so his posts go unnoticed by the powers that be.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I can EASILY recommend KR. KR today is WELL above and beyond what it was a year ago, and the skins you can add to it (over at UOSkins.com) add an even higher quality of gameplay (including the minimap graphics) as well as fix quite a few UI bugs and issues.

Give KR a shot, but give yourself time to get used to it. It really is a new game using it.

Don't listen to naysayers, make the call for yourself!

Want good Ultima music to go with it? I FULLY recommend the Ultima V: Lazarus soundtrack. GORGEOUS renditions of classic Ultima music.