• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Should european bother?

• Thread starter imported_Splup
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Splup

I live in Finland and I play mainly on Europa. I spend 95 % of my time in UO PvP:ing or doing champs/harrowers. I have played UO for 8 years, and Iv been interested in Siege for long time. I have character which has GM tailoring and 80+ warrior skills on Siege, but I have never finished that char.

I ping 55ms to Europa, so basically only speedhackers can easily outrun me. But to Siege I ping 140ms. I would like to get answers from fellow europeans, how they feel about playing on Siege.

Is speedhacking problem on Siege? Cause with 140ms I don't want to face people who skip 4 tiles while running...

How about you other europeans? Do you play a mage, or are you forced to play dexer since US player can outcast you easily, since spamming small spells is lot faster with low ms.

Do you play in big group, which compensates your ms?

Do you enjoy playing on Siege even with high ms?

Opinions?

G

well i never had any problems because of my ping. So that should be no problem
just try it out!

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

I ping 55ms to Europa, so basically only speedhackers can easily outrun me. But to Siege I ping 140ms. I would like to get answers from fellow europeans, how they feel about playing on Siege.

[/ QUOTE ]Im not in Europe, but I will do my best to provide answers.

<blockquote><hr>

Is speedhacking problem on Siege? Cause with 140ms I don't want to face people who skip 4 tiles while running...

[/ QUOTE ]it is not nearly as big a problem as it sounds like on production shards. There are a few- maybe- but not many. And, even with my 35 ping, when they start popping away, not much I can do either
so I might as well ping 150.

<blockquote><hr>

How about you other europeans? Do you play a mage, or are you forced to play dexer since US player can outcast you easily, since spamming small spells is lot faster with low ms.

[/ QUOTE ]Again, I am not European, but the few in my guild play either stealth based or dexxer based. I don't think we have any mages. Whiskey Priest can play a mage and pings 300, but he gets massive lag spikes often enough to make it silly.

<blockquote><hr>

Do you play in big group, which compensates your ms?

[/ QUOTE ]For the most part, European or not, we all play in groups when pvping. Often the only time you will see solo pvp is with a stealther.

<blockquote><hr>

Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]I hope that helps.

M

majorwoo

Shak's very detailed answer indicates his own horrid ping (something of a joke among those running beside him (well, past him)).

I believe he modifies his playstyle slightly to take advantage of it, and seems to kill a few noobs when they are afk.

Quit messing around and get logged in to Siege already.

G

got a new connection and a new computer. try running past me again!

on the serious side thoo. yes, the high ping makes it a bit harder to spamm small circles. however on the field, you wont really notice it that much and you can adapt to it very easily. just make sure that you have no loss and a good computer and youll be flying around.

M

majorwoo

I can't run anywhere atm. Some moron in corporate sent out a new laptop without any antivirus. While I was in Beijing one of my guys took it to taiwan and came back with the mohterload of viruses. I removed 37 but there are still others I can't even find, let alone remove them... format C:.....

G

Yes, we have a number of europeans playing on this shard. It gets a little lonely playing european time, however.

Speedhacking definitely exists, but it isn't rampant.

Overall, it's a fun shard.

I

imported_John Connelly

<blockquote><hr>

I ping 55ms to Europa, so basically only speedhackers can easily outrun me. But to Siege I ping 140ms.

[/ QUOTE ]
I only play Siege and dream of the day my ping is 140. I occasionally get below 300 and on these days I feel invincible.

G

I also ping between 180 and 200. It is a big tougher, but playable and still quite fun. I have a mage, and as Shakaja said, it is hard to keep up with the casting speeds on high ping, but its not too bad when fighting in a group.

I also have a shown fighter and a stealther. Either of those are fine at higher pings.

You will not be a top rung fighter with that ping, but it doesn't mean you cant have fun here. Hardly a day goes by that I don't have fun on Siege.

I

imported_Splup

Ok I logged my Siege char and checked its skills:

Anatomy 97,6
Tactics 85,2
Mace fighting 81,7
Healing 63,6
Focus 71
Tailoring GM

This char was made before PS:s were introduced, so I thought I could have:

GM mace
GM tact
GM ana
GM healing
GM resist
GM tailoring
+magery for gate travel

But now that I have to get skills over GM and I prolly need some focus or meditation also... I must drop my tailoring Sniff... So many hours of collecting that leather..;(

I quess I should change mace fighting to fencing... Somehow I like fencing more then macing in PvP, even thou conc blow is nice.

G

you could use soulstones, or drop ressisting spells.. some like it, some doesnt.. depends on you..

you could also buy an account.. i'd have a cheap one if you like.. 120 fenc, 120 bushido, 120 parry, 105 tactics (120 cap), 100 healing, 85 anatomy (120 cap)

or pray for the ROT changes to happen

G

I live in Sweden and I normally ping 93ish. I run smooth.

But every now and then I ping 130-140 and then it starts to lag a little but enough to make me not enjoy it so much since I´m used to no lag.

But I guess that if I would ping 130-140 all the time then I would get used to the lag and enjoy it more.

So I guess what I want to say is, yes, you should definitely give it a try.

Welcome aboard!

Edit: Oh and btw. I don´t PVP so I don´t know what that´s like when pinging 130-140...

N

Nymrod Anthes

I live in Germany and i used to ping like 180 - 200 with a ****ty comp, that was a horrible time to play some nice templates like mage,necro etc. pretty much every casting template.

Now i got a new con + comp and i can keep up with everyone =)
My ping is around 80 - 100 now. But i agree with shak there, the comp matters a lot..

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pot kettle xD