• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shopper's guide to avoiding dupes?

F

Fink

I'm looking to buy a server birth rare, one has turned up on Atlantic.. any way of knowing if the item in question is a dupe? Is there a list of items known to be duped?

Basically this rare I'm after is a nice bit of deco ("pot of wax" if you're into that sort of thing) that will ruin me, financially. That part I can live with, it's only money and pretend money at that, but obviously I don't want to buy something that's going to land me/my account in trouble.

So, guess I should just hang tight until this round of duping is dealt with?

U

UltimaSword

Checking the sellers reputation is a good idea. Also ask how many he has or check how many. If any doubt just don't buy it.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can´t U get a GM over there and have him check it to see if it is a dupe or not?

T

T_Amon_from_work

Rares Forum here has a decent list of items that have been known to be duped or potential dupes. Take a look there and see if the item is on the list ... ask there as well. Pretty good folks who appear to give answers "straight up".

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That item has been duped, but the particular one on the vendor might not be a dupe. There is no way anyone (even an EA employee) can tell you definitively.

As to action on your account - no, nothing will happen for owning one item.

Con/Pro theories:

The worst case would be that it may be worth significantly less in the future if you try to resell it.

The best case would be that perhaps most of the duped inventory has already been sold and supply/demand will now ensure that your investment is secure.

Your call.

R

RavenWinterHawk

I'm looking to buy a server birth rare, one has turned up on Atlantic.. any way of knowing if the item in question is a dupe? Is there a list of items known to be duped?

Basically this rare I'm after is a nice bit of deco ("pot of wax" if you're into that sort of thing) that will ruin me, financially. That part I can live with, it's only money and pretend money at that, but obviously I don't want to buy something that's going to land me/my account in trouble.

So, guess I should just hang tight until this round of duping is dealt with?
Listen...
It is a dupe. Or you have the original that was duped. Either way. Every single (okay 99%) of births and EM items have been duped. If the item could be bought during the xshard duping or mimic by (you know what). IT WAS DUPED.

The question should be... If you really like it then buy it. I would pay more the 25 million for it. The duper on atlantics stuff started at 100 million and is now down to 65 million.

You go figure.

F

Fink

Listen...
It is a dupe. Or you have the original that was duped. Either way. Every single (okay 99%) of births and EM items have been duped. If the item could be bought during the xshard duping or mimic by (you know what). IT WAS DUPED.

The question should be... If you really like it then buy it. I would pay more the 25 million for it. The duper on atlantics stuff started at 100 million and is now down to 65 million.

You go figure.
I do really like it, I'm not in it for investment or whatever, it's just a question of whether or not my account is going to be smoked over me locking down some pixels.

I have a place called "House of Wax" with vendors dressed & arranged like a waxwork museum.. there's a little workshop area where supposedly the mannequins are crafted, thought a pot of wax would look the business. At the moment I'm using a cauldron (deed) as a substitute.. think I might just stick with that. :stir:

R

RavenWinterHawk

I do really like it, I'm not in it for investment or whatever, it's just a question of whether or not my account is going to be smoked over me locking down some pixels.

I have a place called "House of Wax" with vendors dressed & arranged like a waxwork museum.. there's a little workshop area where supposedly the mannequins are crafted, thought a pot of wax would look the business. At the moment I'm using a cauldron (deed) as a substitute.. think I might just stick with that. :stir:
Well sadly, we dont know if youd get banned.

But a cauldron with cotton bails on it may look like bubbling wax.
If your on atlantic. I have some dyed with AOS slime dyes. Id give you a few.