• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Shipwreck loot

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I have followed three SOS to the coordinates and each time the first thing I fished up was the chest. I thought you were supposed to fish up other items first? Part of the reason, I am exploring these SOSs is for a few more turn-ins while I'm learning the ropes. Any advice from the experienced fishermen out there? Thanks in advance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's a matter of random chance - sometimes I get the chest on the first cast, sometimes it takes 30.

It always seems to me to be governed by Murphy's Law of Fishing - the chance of a specific item is inversely proportional to the fisher's desire for it.

I never get serps or MIBs when I go fishing for them, I only get pearls and Big Fish when I'm not looking for them (when I'm fishing up SOS, not fishing for fish & serps), and you seem to get fishing deco, when you've got a lot of it, but always seem to get the chests in the first few casts when needed stuff for deco, or to stock your fishing vendor.

BTW, note that, in addition to the pillows, shells, furniture, and chest, you can ALSO turn in the footwear with the shipwreck tag, the skullcaps, and the BODY PARTS for points.

Xanthril of LA

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a matter of random chance - sometimes I get the chest on the first cast, sometimes it takes 30.

BTW, note that, in addition to the pillows, shells, furniture, and chest, you can ALSO turn in the footwear with the shipwreck tag, the skullcaps, and the BODY PARTS for points.
Thanks man. Four for four on getting chest without any prior shipwreck loot. I knew that anything with the shipwreck tag works for the turnin, but appreciate the info nonetheless. I thought cartography may have made a difference but i stoned it after 3rd one and still got chest on 4th one. At least I am learning the fishing ropes as I go.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The way Arlon and I have always done it, is start fishing about 5 -10 tiles away from the exact spot, we seem to get more pre loot fished up that way, but sometimes still just get the chest too. Hope that helps a bit.

And ya Basara I know what you mean about the fishing up what you need or want. You rarely get what you need or want when out fishing.

Oriana

W

Wilis

I agree with Oriana. I start fishing about 8 or 16 spots away myself (holdover from the 8x8? hehe). It's been my experience that I get more pre-chest goodies. Anytime I'm less than an 8 count, I wind up with the chest pronto! Maybe it is just my imagination but when I'm in that 8 to 16, I also feel like I get more sea serpents! Pfft. Exactly when I'm NOT looking for them.

Wilis