• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ship and MIB Questions

Zara

Adventurer
Hi,

So I've started MiBs. I found using THB runes to be a good way to get close to where the MiBs are. But I have some questions.

When I finish a MiB, I'm often far away from land and my next MiB will be much faster if I could just recall to another land point and set sail from there. But I'm stuck in the middle of the ocean and I'm wasting a lot of time just waiting to make landfall. Is there any way I can get my ship to come with me when I recall to land? I tried the lighthouse vet reward thinking it would do that but discovered that's only for decaying ships.

Another question, can you drydock a ship if you have stuff on the deck of the ship? I'm getting so much stuff I don't want and it's filling up my backpack. So I've been thinking about dumping it on my ship but then worry it will prevent me from drydocking.

Speaking of stuff, most of the stuff I get while doing MiBs like bone files are stuff I really don't want. Anyone have any tips on how to efficiently get rid of the stuff? I'm getting the most useful stuff is the nets, white pearls, and gold? So far the items inside the chests have been well not very good.

Oh the chests I get I really like, but they seem to use the small container graphic. Any way to switch them to using large gumps?

And finally, I'm really interested in the magical pants with sdi you can get from fishing. Based on your experience, what percentage chance do you I have of getting it when doing a MIB?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
For saving time I do this ....

Grab 4 boxes or containers and separate the mibs by the coords. Like NW coords go in one box , SE coords go in another box .

Then when I have oh say 25 or more I go fish them up. That way I'm working the same area and don't have far to sail ( usually ) to do the next one.

You could also place more boats in the different areas and recall to them .
Each toon can place a boat then all you need is a copy of the key or a rune to high seas ones.

For dry docking , your hold must be empty and the deck must clean of clutter .
Use pack beetle , it holds 125 items .

Zara

Adventurer
For saving time I do this ....

Grab 4 boxes or containers and separate the mibs by the coords. Like NW coords go in one box , SE coords go in another box .

Then when I have oh say 25 or more I go fish them up. That way I'm working the same area and don't have far to sail ( usually ) to do the next one.

You could also place more boats in the different areas and recall to them .
Each toon can place a boat then all you need is a copy of the key or a rune to high seas ones.

For dry docking , your hold must be empty and the deck must clean of clutter .
Use pack beetle , it holds 125 items .
So 100 MIBs? How long does it take you to get that many? I was finding I am almost getting most of my MiBs back as I do them, but of course I've only done a couple of hours of MiBs so far. But I started out with like 12 am still at 8 or 9. Is that normal? Or do you go fishing only to get more MiBs?

How do you copy keys?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I don't carry that many at a time . Just leave them in my fisher s bank or at home .
I'd carry 20 _30 that are in 54S 45 o 65E 60o area for example . Then when those are done . Do another set I have sorted in my boxes .

I toss nets and anchors for pulling up krakens . Krakens seem to have a high chance at mibs on their corpse . You also get tmaps from serpents you can dig up or turn in for cleanup points.

And I think you buy a blank key from a tinker store and use it on a ship key to copy it. Or maybe the ship key on the blank .
Do you have high seas upgrade ?

If you like fishing it is worth the money .

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I would also like to add...

most of the items you pull up before the chest,
are worth 100 cleanup points.
so toss them in the trash
(even the footwear that says recovered from a shipwreck)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My fisher has a blue beetle. Either I try to keep it safe, or I just ball it in as I need it.

The way I do SOS....
Step 0 (i.e. pre-trip prep): Have SOS sorted by area, and broken down to 10-30 SOS for one specific area put into a pouch in my backpack. Have those SOS coordinates already put into UOAM. Sail ship to the first SOS location.
1. Fish up first chest. Sort the chest contents. Stuff to keep goes in a bag within my pack, everything else (including most pre-chest loot without a resale value) goes into the chest. Set chest in middle of ship.
2. Sail to next SOS. Fish it up, with the pre-loot going toward clean-up points going into the first chest. Sort the second chest as above, then put the reject stuff into the first chest (chest and all).
3. If the gold's getting too heavy, put it into the hold. Put any fish and leather from serpents into the hold as well.
4. Repeat as needed until the junk chest nears 120 items.
5. Summon the giant beetle, put the chest and your gold into the beetle.
6. Recall to luna with beetle, drop chest of junk in trash, bank gold.
7. Recall back to the ship, sail to the next spot, and start back at step one, until you eventually get where you and the beetle are maxed out with kept loot or you run out of SOS. Go to Step 0 to reset for the next trip.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I don't carry that many at a time . Just leave them in my fisher s bank or at home .
I'd carry 20 _30 that are in 54S 45 o 65E 60o area for example . Then when those are done . Do another set I have sorted in my boxes .

I toss nets and anchors for pulling up krakens . Krakens seem to have a high chance at mibs on their corpse . You also get tmaps from serpents you can dig up or turn in for cleanup points.

And I think you buy a blank key from a tinker store and use it on a ship key to copy it. Or maybe the ship key on the blank .

You also toss anchors to get Krakens? Where do you get anchors? Or am I reading this wrong? Ty for info.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The Anchors are the "dredging hooks" that look like anchors, from the quest in Trinsic that leads to the ship in Gravewater Lake. You can buy them up even when not on the quest, and they function like low-quality green nets (unlike the nets, they aren't 100% to bring up creatures, so some tosses come up empty).

Getting a bunch of these to take to the South Jhelom sea area to do the Zippy quest makes it a lot easier and safer than sailing around looking for krakens and serps (and running into pirates instead)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
The Anchors are the "dredging hooks" that look like anchors, from the quest in Trinsic that leads to the ship in Gravewater Lake. You can buy them up even when not on the quest, and they function like low-quality green nets (unlike the nets, they aren't 100% to bring up creatures, so some tosses come up empty).

Getting a bunch of these to take to the South Jhelom sea area to do the Zippy quest makes it a lot easier and safer than sailing around looking for krakens and serps (and running into pirates instead)
Wow! Learn something new all the time! Are the Dredging Hooks one use or last some time, at least a few throughs?

Zara

Adventurer

I do have High Seas. Does that matter for fishing?

Zara

Adventurer
My fisher has a blue beetle. Either I try to keep it safe, or I just ball it in as I need it.

The way I do SOS....
Step 0 (i.e. pre-trip prep): Have SOS sorted by area, and broken down to 10-30 SOS for one specific area put into a pouch in my backpack. Have those SOS coordinates already put into UOAM. Sail ship to the first SOS location.
1. Fish up first chest. Sort the chest contents. Stuff to keep goes in a bag within my pack, everything else (including most pre-chest loot without a resale value) goes into the chest. Set chest in middle of ship.
2. Sail to next SOS. Fish it up, with the pre-loot going toward clean-up points going into the first chest. Sort the second chest as above, then put the reject stuff into the first chest (chest and all).
3. If the gold's getting too heavy, put it into the hold. Put any fish and leather from serpents into the hold as well.
4. Repeat as needed until the junk chest nears 120 items.
5. Summon the giant beetle, put the chest and your gold into the beetle.
6. Recall to luna with beetle, drop chest of junk in trash, bank gold.
7. Recall back to the ship, sail to the next spot, and start back at step one, until you eventually get where you and the beetle are maxed out with kept loot or you run out of SOS. Go to Step 0 to reset for the next trip.
Thank you for all those details! It would be great if we could set all the pre-chest loot to automatically go into a bag.

As for the cleanup points, can you toss the chest (which I guess would be worth 100 points too?) with other stuff inside and get points for everything?

Zara

Adventurer

Okay, all of this is brand new to me -- everything you put in that post. Do you have a link by any chance that would give details like where to find the quest and such? How much are these dredging hooks? It seems if you can buy an unlimited supply of them, that would be the fastest way to get MiBs?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Also if you do use anchors from the trinsic guy , you will get heavy pieces of debris . Just take one back to him and give it to him and you will stop getting them .
They weigh like 25 stones so they can be annoying lol

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I do have High Seas. Does that matter for fishing?
It just opens your experience up to things like new fish, crabs and lobsters , fishmonger quests to get baits and scrolls , new deco items and probably the best thing .... New boats like the orc ship or britainian ship that has 9 cannons for blowing up ships.
I figured you did but wasn't sure . It would not be much fun just getting ordinary fish all the time hehe

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Wow! Learn something new all the time! Are the Dredging Hooks one use or last some time, at least a few throughs?
No the anchors are one time use like the nets . Can be expensive at 1900 gold a pop. But you will make your money back doing the chests . They also weigh a lot like 25 stones so you might need you a beetle to help carry some.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
How much are these dredging hooks? It seems if you can buy an unlimited supply of them, that would be the fastest way to get MiBs?

Npc at the sons of fishing building right above trinsic docks . They are heavy and cost 1900 gold each. Can buy all you want. ( Or carry ) hehe

Zara

Adventurer
It just opens your experience up to things like new fish, crabs and lobsters , fishmonger quests to get baits and scrolls , new deco items and probably the best thing .... New boats like the orc ship or britainian ship that has 9 cannons for blowing up ships.
I figured you did but wasn't sure . It would not be much fun just getting ordinary fish all the time hehe
Um, what do I with all this fish? Right now, I just cut it all up. I get like 3 colors of cut fish though. Regular, white, and blue I think. I'm saving them all but have no idea what to do with them. Well, I know regular fish can be cooked as normal food. I also get these magical fish that seem like potions and raise stats, but they don't stack I think. I haven't seen crabs and lobsters.

Fishmonger...I remember seeing one of those. NPCs at every dock? So they will give quests to get fishing powerscrolls? What is bait?

I have seen the new big ships but the small ones seem more maneuverable for fishing purposes. They are all the same speed? I mean if the one of the new ships are faster than the normal ones, I can see that being important.

Sorry for all the questions!

Zara

Adventurer
Npc at the sons of fishing building right above trinsic docks . They are heavy and cost 1900 gold each. Can buy all you want. ( Or carry ) hehe
Besides the cost (which you said, you get your money back from doing them) and carrying them (beetle though), these seem to have no cons? I was doing a bunch of normal fishing to build up my supply of MiBs. But this seems like the best way? Any reason why I shouldn't just do these exclusively? Is that what everyone does?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
From the regular fish steaks, if you have a Cook, you can make tasty treats that may sell reasonably well to Tamers, check the market first on your shard. Takes many fish steaks to make one treat. The treats increase stats on pets.
The colored steaks stack, the pies you make out of them do not (so far), but you can also put these or some of them on your vendor.
I think the fastest ship is the Tokuno Gallion, and also you can put a cannon on it to see how it works and maybe get into piracy or pirate hunting.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
You'll need to collect all the different fish to complete fishmonger quests . It will give you rewards like 105 to 120 fishing power scrolls and also the many baits to catch rare fish for wall trophies . Also gives you hooks to use to prevent pulling up footwear or another gives you the barnacle covered loot . Looks like colored art paintings or sometimes clothes.

These quests require you to use a high seas boat . Also called a galleon by some people they can be purchased for as low as 100k at the sea market . Which is a floating emporium south of Moonglow island . These ships can also be dyed with paint you buy there .

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
You can also do the lobster traps , which gives you more to collect ( crabs and lobsters) and will keep you busy !

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter