• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shard Transfer "errors" Beyond Annoying!

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont pretend to be a master of shard-to-shard transfers. I've really only been doing it the last month. Its a WONDERFUL thing. For me, its about import/export... and now I have vendors on a shard I dont play in hopes of making a little money... that I can turn around and spend on that very shard. :D

BUT...

This error system has to be improved in a BIG way.

"The Selected Destination Shard is Unavailable."

WHY?!!!!!!!

My guy is standing in the Luna inn room, where I always do transfers.
My guy is not on a mount.
Everything is perfect and normal.
There is no new publish.
I did a transfer just the day before, over 24 hours ago.
Everything worked fine, without error.
The shard is ONLINE.
Everything in storage is green for shard transfer.
Nothing else appears wrong.

This is... bull "manure"! :p

This really isn't good enough!!!

Perhaps some kind of "Red Light" / "Green Light" should exist right on the top of UO.COM that shows issues where you are refused transfer despite all shards being up and working... and nothing wrong... OR something wrong. Is that logic or does it already exists someplace?

Considering I have a small list of transfers waiting over the next week, 24 hour waits, loading and unloading... I like to keep some kind of happy timeline and this upsets it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of my guys disappeared last night during a transfer. He never arrived. I've not checked back yet to see if he ever did.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They must be nerfing shard shields. Now there is a random chance that your character will be lost into the void. :eyes:
That's been happening for years. The weirdest experience I've had was that my character disappeared, was gone from both shards, then a week later randomly appeared on the shard he was supposed to be on. Except... he had a bunch of stuff in his backpack that wasn't supposed to be there, about 50 pieces of random junk loot picked up from monsters. I guess he decided to take a week long vacation and brought back his souvenirs when he got bored and came home.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Considering the long list of bugs... some 7 years old and more?

Really makes me wonder if ANYONE is doing the job of actually fixing bugs.

Shard transfer lost guys... or runes that are not dyed for house runes (like they used to be and should be)... a big range of "no big deal" to extreme serious.

Hell, sometimes, in the middle of the Juka invalided city... in Ilsh, I see a section of my town sitting above the ground (without décor). That one is silly and meaningless. Again, nothing like being lost in transfer.

I may start listing them out to see how many exist. Must be good money! Do nothing, get paid. Go on holiday. Eat. Buy a house. Very satisfying. hehe

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This exactly also now happens to me with a char on Sakura - clicking the token back to Drachenfels will give this "shard-unavailable"-message :(... try this also with a Great Lakes and an Atlantic transfer token, and get the message again. Want this char back home so anyone have an idea what to do now? Writing Mesanna an email?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The shard unavailable thing usually is when one shard has an update that the other doesn't. (For example, you get that message if you try xfering from Origin when it has a publish that hasn't gone worldwide yet)

Just try again tomorrow

Last edited:

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The uo.com site had nothing listed. We got the publish yesterday at shard up... when I sent the same guy out from Atlantic... was in 15 mins of shard up, without issue (thank goodness). He was loaded up and tried to send back inside 25 hours. This error happened. I keep checking, he's still blocked... and no news on uo.com so... then what? :)

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's been happening for years. The weirdest experience I've had was that my character disappeared, was gone from both shards, then a week later randomly appeared on the shard he was supposed to be on. Except... he had a bunch of stuff in his backpack that wasn't supposed to be there, about 50 pieces of random junk loot picked up from monsters. I guess he decided to take a week long vacation and brought back his souvenirs when he got bored and came home.
Was he drunk and nekkid?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. Considering the long list of bugs... some 7 years old and more?

Really makes me wonder if ANYONE is doing the job of actually fixing bugs.

Shard transfer lost guys... or runes that are not dyed for house runes (like they used to be and should be)... a big range of "no big deal" to extreme serious.

Hell, sometimes, in the middle of the Juka invalided city... in Ilsh, I see a section of my town sitting above the ground (without décor). That one is silly and meaningless. Again, nothing like being lost in transfer.

I may start listing them out to see how many exist. Must be good money! Do nothing, get paid. Go on holiday. Eat. Buy a house. Very satisfying. hehe
Here's the thing about bugs anymore, they will fix a bunch of them and create more. they fix those and break the old ones again. case in point is the pack window dropping behind another open container. they fixed that a while back then it came back like a couple of patches later. I really appreciate the work they do, but they really appear to have issues fixing the bugs sometimes. There are other examples but some of them could be considered exploits so i will leave them alone for now.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The uo.com site had nothing listed. We got the publish yesterday at shard up... when I sent the same guy out from Atlantic... was in 15 mins of shard up, without issue (thank goodness). He was loaded up and tried to send back inside 25 hours. This error happened. I keep checking, he's still blocked... and no news on uo.com so... then what? :)
Every single update isn't posted on uo.com, just try again after the next server maintenance for both shards. As someone who does a ton of transfers due to EM events, I find this is more common when transferring between US + Asian shards. With the big difference in server maintenance times there will often be an update in one region that hasn't hit the other one yet.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here's the thing about bugs anymore, they will fix a bunch of them and create more. they fix those and break the old ones again.
Old codes and spaghetti :rolleyes:

EA ran off most of the ones that understood the code. No offense to Kyronix, at all. But everytime someone got to working well, they either laid em off or let them go becayse they didnt want to move across the country. It's almost like UO fading is predestined at the corporate failure. what they didn't count on, was the stubbornness of us addicts to keep paying LOL

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I talked directly to our Atlantic NEW EM (Roenick) and it turned out we had a tiny update... unpublished on uo.com... so thats why we were stuck. Soon as the Asian shard updated... my guy could escape. Sure hope he doesnt go off on holiday! He's only been working for me for 1.5 months... so if he goes missing and comes back with a tan... I'll strip of and leave him in a dungeon, delete him, and start anew. :cool:

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I lost a character using one of the shard transfer tokens from the store. I paged and they fixed it after about 1-2 weeks.

Possible (unconfirmed) sources for errors using the transfer token from the store (not the shard shield):
1. Never cancel the shard transfer and re-initiate it.
2. Related to 1., never log-out or LAG OUT (which happened to me) after initiating the transfer
3. Make sure (i.e. pray) both the old and new shard are on the same patch update.
4. Make sure the new and old shards will not be down for maintenance in the next hour or so.

On a side note, although this is mere speculation, I think one reason why they are not fixing the old shard transfer code is because they are afraid of players using bugs to dupe their characters (read: dupe items) with such a new code. Just my 2 cents.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I also posted yesterday in the Bugs Forum on the official website. Try again to start transfer this morning and now all seems to be running as it should. I'm very positiv surprised they fix this so soon.
My Char is back, and nothing is left. This makes my day today :)

and one thing more :D..... being back and having a look i notice a special gift : Look at the shard and the char name *twinkles*
upload_2018-12-6_9-9-29.png

Last edited:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oldest bug of all: "Oops I lost my spell icon because I wanted to run in that direction so I right clicked and..."

Right mouse button by itself does anything other than walk/run/face in that direction. That's some bad design right there from the original dev team.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
MY guy finally showed up - but they didn't email me that he'd been found and fixed until 12 hours after I'd found out normally.

AND, his transfer timer was at a point where it would have been if he'd transferred 24 hours later than was attempted, so I got to wait until tomorrow morning sometime to transfer (after 3 AM if I want to go to Drach, Origins or Pacific from Napa, 6-7 AM if I want to go to Legends or LS.)

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dissappointed...just tried transferring using a shard shield token from Napa to Europa, pancakes and flopjacks said destination unavailable.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Questions to ask yourself before you throw a fit:
1. Is there a publish in testing? if yes, you can not transfer to shards that are on a different publish.
2. What time is shard maintenance on the shard you are transferring to? If they're not on the same 'day' you may not be able to go.

For example - Spellbound's post for me is timed at 5.41am - so what time is Europa maintenance??

It's not a bug, it's logic. You can't transfer to a shard that's not 'in synch'.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I initially tried going and saw Drach and Europa weren't even on the log in screen. I googled down time and found this link: Server Down Times - Old Stratics

Yes, first try was at servers already down. So I checked later and saw they were both possible choices to select. Trying after the server was back up seemed like the right time, but I did not know about Petra's point regarding if not same day may not be able to go.

Sorry my bad, will try to make transfers so the day coincides.

Last edited: