• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Shard Lore] Immersion and the Event Moderators.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When Seppo and Pallando arrived on the Shard of Baja (Christmas 2008) it was agreed that their persona does not exist IC. The Event Moderators - just like the BRPA forming at the time - serve an Out of Character function ('The Dungeon Master') and it was suitable to maintain that role.

But since then the characters have become more and more an IC Function. It is not an RPC but instead EMCrysania who we interact with during the Bazaars and Faire Events. (Developer) Mesanna has made her presence known as some sort of Dark Goddess opposed to Seppo. The Yattering has referenced Seppo leading to a Death Dealer calling for his arrest and execution in Luna.

The Widow and Other Characters have developed stories and the IC notion that the EMs are 'Minor Gods' associated with Light and Virtue. (Standing in IC Opposition to the 'Goddess of Pain and Death.') I have at various points implied that the 'Event Moderators' are Powerful Wizards (Pallando / Maiar?) and Chroniclers that reside in New Britain. Of late I had another thought that perhaps each Event Moderator is a Time Lord who combines the above two theories about their roles and personal nature.

But what should we call them? When I've refered to the Event Moderators IC I have called them 'Seers.' Others have called them 'Oracles' or 'Gods.' The Roleplayers of Pacific refer to them as 'Eternal Mystics.' (When someone refers to them as an 'EM' they know what the acronym means from their IC perspective.)

What shall we call them IC? Seers? Emerald Magisters?

Discuss.

C

canary

When Seppo and Pallando arrived on the Shard of Baja Christmas 2008 it was agreed that their Persona does not exist IC. The Event Moderators - just like the BRPA that was just forming at the time - serve an Out of Character function ('The Dungeon Master') and it was suitable to maintain that.

But since then the characters have become more and more an IC Function. It is not an RPC but instead Crysania who we interact with during the Bazaars and Faire Events. (Developer) Mesanna has made her presence known as some sort of Dark Goddess opposed to Seppo. The Yattering has referenced Seppo leading to a Death Dealer calling for his arrest and execution.

The Widow and Other Characters have developed stories and the IC notion that EMs are 'Minor Gods' associated with Virtue and the Light. (Standing in IC Opposition to the 'Goddess of Pain.') I have at various points implied that the 'Event Moderators' are Powerful Wizards (Maiar?) and Chroniclers that reside in Britain. Of late I had another thought that each Event Moderator might be a Time Lord which would combine the two above theories about their roles and nature.

But what should we call them? When I've refered to the Event Moderators IC I have called them 'Seers.' Others have called them 'Oracles' or 'Gods.' The Roleplayers of Pacific refer to them as 'Eternal Mystics.' (When someone refers to them as an 'EM' they know what the acronym means from their IC perspective.)

What shall we call them IC? Seers? Emerald Magisters?

Discuss.
All I can say is on my shard we often refer to them as 'The Hooded Ones'... mysterious types whose power seems to influence both good and evil (though usually good). The players do not know their intentions other than they might maintain some sort of cosmic balance and are able to create amazing feats.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think Pacific's got the right idea.

Seer is hard to stop wanting to say, from us old farts. However, you'll have every OOC player stopping to correct you, if not the EMs themselves.

Oracle is associated for a lot of people with Oracle NPCs. By a lot of people, I mean me.

I actually agree with the logic that if Mesanna's taken up the role of Dark Goddess that the EMs take the role of lesser deities or "immortals", in the Greek sense.

Finally, I agree that you can't really get around "EM". Personally, I think it was a bad choice of title because it makes it difficult for these kinds of IC/OOC interactions that are becoming more and more prevalent. Picking a title that shares the acronym at least makes the IC and OOC translations plausible.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ether Mage/Magus?

You see where I'm going with this. Something that explains how they can bend something unseen into something seen.