• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Shard Lore] Burn the Witch. The Corrupting Influence of Sosarian Magic.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Burn the Witch. The Corrupting Influence of Sosarian Magic.
WarderDragon

Those present at the Convocation in December might remember me refering to a notorious band of Paladins and Inquisitors known as the Caelestis Templares.

The Order - proclaiming themselves to be the True Defenders of Stormwind and the Human Race - were convinced that all practitioners of the arcane opened themselves to corruption and demonic possession. The Templars therefore took it upon themselves to root out Witches, Warlocks, Heretics, Blasphemers, Necromancers, the Possessed, the Damned - all who would choose to disagree with their methods - and burn them at the stake.

I used the above to illustrate that one need not be Evil to be the Antagonist. Nor Good to be the Hero. The Order - though classified as Lawful Good - became the greatest band of Villains on that server for their fanaticism and uncompromising dedication to the Light.

But that brings me to another point. A piece of Ultima Lore that I believe has been forgotten - or rather swept under the rug - that I would see ressurected. The Corrupting Power of Sosarian Magic.

Magic Corrupts. It burns through the Soul of the Sorcerer and over time will damn him to eternal torment if he is not mindful of his actions. Mages - who have attuned themselves to the Ethereal Void - have tapped into the spectral dimension where Daemons are born from mans emotions and primative desires. With each spell he runs the risk of becoming enslaved by the very creatures he sought to harness. (i.e. Relivinian.) Or being manipulated into believing his actions are for Good. (i.e. The Followers of Armageddon.) Some turn to Lichedom when their lives grow short and become dessicated God Kings. (Azalin of the Ebon Skull.) Others search out and join Evil Organizations such as the Order of the Ebon Skull and the Dark Tower when the conventional paths to power have been exhausted. (Kessell of Baja.)

It is as addictive as a narcotic.

Below is Magic as it is described in Ultima Lore. Sorcerers were burned as Witches in the generations before Cantabrigian British united the realm.

Sosarian Magic - The Codex of Editable Wisdom.

"A mentioned elsewhere in this manuscript, the practice of magic had once died out in Sosaria. The power of the mystic tradition proved too corrupting for the general populace and the lords of the land decreed that all who dabbled in sorcery were to be banished. 'Twas not until the coming of Mondain the wicked that our scholars once again unearthed the dusty tomes that contained the records of the once flourishing arcane arts, and set about to retrain adepts in the use of enchantments. Our leaders realize that once the discipline of magic is reawakened, it shall never again be put to rest. Such is our plight that even the most dreaded of the arts is laid bare to all who will try to learn it and who swear to use its powers to combat the spread of Mondain's vile influence.

While those naturally born to the practice of sorcery, who can invent their own enchantments and forge new ground in the arts, have yet to emerge as powerful wizards in their own right, a certain progress has been made. There are four artifacts available to the budding mage which will enhance the ability to weave enchantments: Staff, Wand, Amulet, and Triangle. The latter is a magical sword that may also serve as a weapon. Several powerful spells, which will cost the buyer in both gold and experience, may be purchased in the magic shoppes of Sosaria.

We also have the words of the Introduction Cinematic to Ultima Online.

"...Despite Sosaria's enchanted origins, its people shunned magic, for its very use corrupted the souls of the unwary.

But one man dared to awaken the slumbering powers of Alchemy...

It is surprising then that there is no modern reference to it in the Lore and RPC Fiction. Magic is seen as Good. Pure. But it is that same logic that sees LotR and D&D Elves in Britannia.

We do have some basis for a general distrust of the Arcane in Britannia. Students of the Arcane are forced to train on the distant Isle of Moonglow and within the Hidden Vale west of Trinsic.

Therefore I propose this. Would it make sense that someone who doesn't practice magic be distrustful - perhaps even antagonistic - towards the Practitioners of the Arcane and Forbidden Arts? Should the populace be more superstitious towards Sorcerers and Necromancers? Should the Corruption and thread of Possession be a shadow that hangs over the Greatest Mages of Our Time?