• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Shame Level 1

Porky

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I noticed a lot of new changes is Shame since I've been back! One question so far, what is the purpose of that blocked off area that has that guard? I know if you kill him, the wall falls and you can get in, but shortly after that, the guard respawns and the wall is back up. Now you can't get out unless you can somehow kill that guard again to lower the wall. So, why not just avoid all that and go around? Is there something I'm missing here?

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven’t been in Shame for years but it used to be when exiting that wall from inside you got magically teleported out when approaching. No need to kill the guardian Ogre or drop the wall to exit.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Haven’t been in Shame for years but it used to be when exiting that wall from inside you got magically teleported out when approaching. No need to kill the guardian Ogre or drop the wall to exit.
Opps I misread the OP. Did not know that was all he was asking.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame, Cove, and Wrong... all changed. I used to do a lot of hunting in Shame and now its ruined.

Really dont understand why they couldn't just make new dungeons vs. ruining the old ones... OR not completely overhaul and make them almost worthless. AND... no pet access. My big game hunter IS a tamer.

Then look at the dungeon Sanctuary. Its a bloodbath and I've never seen anyone near it... or anyone talking about it. :oops: Thats basically a new dungeon.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What??? The revamps were necessary and work fine! And I do them every day with my pets. Farming artifacts, looting stuff, stealing deco, training pets. I think you have no idea what you are talking about. Where is no pet access? Wrong? Shame? Cove? Nonsense! Not even in Blackthorns... Only Despise. And there is still Despise Fel, that hasnt changed.

I am really wondering about your posts. Some days ago you told us you dont even go to dungeons, ever. I doubt your judgment. And sometimes I think you just post for attention. So many of your questions can be answered by just using google and so many of your statements have been proven wrong (e.g. Artisan Festival)... Really strange behavior. Sorry, had to say this...

If you think, there are places ingame,. you cannot manage, let the experts on this forum explain you the tactics and work at your templates. I learn from guys in the tamer, spellcaster and other subforums, adapt and improve. And I walk out of these dungeons with tons of stuff, gold, gratifications and experience. Better than posting nonsense in pink words on a forum.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
But back to the OP: I have no idea why a particular section requires you to kill the guardian. There doesn't seem to be anything special on the other side of the wall, and the guardian troll doesn't provide anything special, either.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, on the other side there is basically the whole rest of the dungeon: Blood Elementals, Unbound Energy Vortices, the Burning Mages and the other Mages and much much more. And when there was the revamp, many of those monsters were either the best source of high-end loot or the best spots for training pets (until today). So, if you wanted to go to the more challenging places with the more rewarding fights, you needed to invest some work. In my very simple mindset there is some logic behind that... ;)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why a particular section requires you to kill the guardian
It adds a challenge to hunting for the thing that's summoned by the altar.
It has the armor ignore move, so it is a not-for-noobs fight.

the guardian troll doesn't provide anything special
Its loot includes things used with ship cannons, and it's easier (my opinion) to kill these guys than it is to mine up stuff and manufacture the gunpowder.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you think, there are places ingame,. you cannot manage, let the experts on this forum explain you the tactics and work at your templates.
I took a built dog to Atlantic and asked her three times on the other forum if she wanted it. No response.

Before the pet revamp, my places I could handle were wrong, shame, destard, and sanctuary. I also think wrong and shame were changed in a positive way. They were too easy and now they can be challenging for many player abilities if you find the right places.

Shame has guardians that guarantee a whetstone in fel if you do all three.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know why Pixie is saying "no pet access" because
o a typical tamer these days takes a pet down to L5 Shame for training a pet.
o I've been to Void Pool (Covetous L2) with a greater dragon, and done almost as well that way as being a sampire

Also:
o We've all been through Sanctuary because that's the only way to get the Summon Fiend spellweaver scroll. (Pretty funny that no one ever actually uses Summon Fiend, but it's there if I ever need to, right?)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is quite fun to run someone through sanctuary to do the spell weaver quest. You can tell their heart was racing when you hop over the fence. Many times their ghost gets to you first.

I don't know why someone would do the other weaver quest. A few minutes in the tunnel and a brand new toon will have killed 50 rats.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Execpt Cora, Cove revamp was the best of them all. Level 3 is a reliable and steady source of artifacts, especially the Hephaestos is worth farming and I get 2-3 major drops there each week just with letting my petbl clear the entrance. Just for giving an example.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know why Pixie is saying "no pet access" because
o a typical tamer these days takes a pet down to L5 Shame for training a pet.
Sorry... I was thinking 'Despise'. Have to forgive me... as I was playing only part time for 4 years before last September... so, playing catch up. So, Shame would make 4 old-school dungeons they screwed up... that I know about, so far. :) I'm not a dungeon expert. Many hunting spots were marked well inside. Someplace safe. So, inside vs. outside can be confusion sometimes when we talk what name of what dungeon. I KNOW I used to farm leather big time in Despise… and now you get knocked off your mount. Very boring.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sorry... I was thinking 'Despise'. Have to forgive me... as I was playing only part time for 4 years before last September... so, playing catch up. So, Shame would make 4 old-school dungeons they screwed up... that I know about, so far. :) I'm not a dungeon expert. Many hunting spots were marked well inside. Someplace safe. So, inside vs. outside can be confusion sometimes when we talk what name of what dungeon. I KNOW I used to farm leather big time in Despise… and now you get knocked off your mount. Very boring.
This post just confirmed your ignorance.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame, Cove, and Wrong... all changed. I used to do a lot of hunting in Shame and now its ruined.

Really dont understand why they couldn't just make new dungeons vs. ruining the old ones... OR not completely overhaul and make them almost worthless. AND... no pet access. My big game hunter IS a tamer.

Then look at the dungeon Sanctuary. Its a bloodbath and I've never seen anyone near it... or anyone talking about it. :oops: Thats basically a new dungeon.
Sanctuary sucked from the day it was released. Also, many of ML dungeons were created so cramped for no reason other than it seems just to frustrate the player.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sanctuary sucked from the day it was released. Also, many of ML dungeons were created so cramped for no reason other than it seems just to frustrate the player.
hehe... BUT... Twisted Weald is still popular... but not for the nightmare beyond the dunes. And the Labyrinth... again, still popular, and again... no one really ventures past the Miasma. So, I'd say it wasnt a full loss by a long shot. I still never found that NPC inside Sanctuary... for the spellweaving quest. At least I love my big dog for hunting. Cant say I would enjoy tame/hunting if it wasnt for that.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People venture beyond Miasma to get the "minotaur artifacts." There's a quest that requires some of those. It's not easy because you have to walk past minotaur captains (reveal), Rend (imagine a paragon reptalon), and Pyre (like swoop with an added fire area effect).
We once had a fishing contest for the rare fish that lives in Rend's area. People did catch fish there.

Can your trained cu sidhe beat Rend? That would be an interesting challenge.

The fellow in Sanctuary you are looking for is at the very end, in the peaceful part, standing on the raised dais.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the way Shame and Wrong were done. I did not use the others as much to have an opinion.

But right after they were done I did not like it because the difficulty ramped up. But that cause me to ramp up my toons since those were the common places I hunted.

I have always liked Sanctuary. I did the quests there instead of Heartwood. I hauled resources there in my crafters blue beetle and made stuff there. I made my new toons that I use today. My Archer Bard, Macer, Necro, and Tamer. They grew up killing stuff there and learning the tunnels and how to go into the partially blocked off area by the crafters. Was always quiet there because of the magic users and Changelings.

Can your trained cu sidhe beat Rend? That would be an interesting challenge.
Of course it can. But you just want it moved so you can spawn a 2 slot Reptalon to Tame and Build.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you just want it moved so you can spawn a 2 slot Reptalon
I think I'd rather move the reptalons. Stealth herding works great until you're revealed, right? Hm, minotaur captains are pretty good at revealing.

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fellow in Sanctuary you are looking for is at the very end, in the peaceful part, standing on the raised dais.
I tried stealthing in... but the stress level started to become unacceptable. I dont know if its a quest for a scroll that a high level stealthier could get or not... passing it along to the spellweaver or what. Considering I've never seen anyone inside? Fighting the rubbish spawn? No clue if there's a map to help? Just loads and loads of other bidness to get on with. :) Oh, yeah... Atlantic.

I also remember something about another cave or some kind of opening around the same mountain, but its been blocked off forever.

Still, if you were to say "ML" vs. "SA"? I think SA was a total bomb. I had said, after ML... they should make a new race a year. SA was too little too late. BUT... again, the magical thing about UO. "Something for everyone." I wouldnt suggest change where it doesnt belong. Just, the other old saying comes to mind: "If it ain broke...." Ya know?

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're not really s'posed to stealth in there. You're s'posed to use Ethereal Voyage with a 5 focus. You're a spellweaver right? Right?
(Ethereal Voyage lasts JUST long enough to get there. On t'other hand, I've seen people mount up on a llama or beetle and RIDE through.)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've always used Sanctuary for the initial quest to first get spellweaving, like Paiwan said. The key is to keep moving. Keep moving and you're past any spawn before they have a chance to target you. Just keep heading west until you get to the fence you climb over to the quest giver (the safety zone). Only a problem if you miss a turn and get yourself in a corner, but the path is pretty intuitive if you keep looking ahead to the west.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We keep seeing a lot of complaints about Despise, but once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun! (And yes, sometimes the Wisp-controlled pets get themselves in trouble, but so do normal pets...) One could make it a sport to kill as many (Corrupted) Wisps as possible for example, their loot is not too bad. :):) And if you want to hunt Lizzies for leather, why not go to the Sleeping Dragon Champ Spawn area in Tokuno? Far more of them there in a relatively small area?
We never liked Sanctuary, the nasty combo of Changelings, Succubus, Titans, Ratman Archers, and worst of all, those arrows flying from out of nowhere hitting everything that moves. (Except stealthers.) Does Ethereal Voyage work against those arrows as well? Went there recently to help a new player or returnee to get to his corpse after ressing. It was carnage! And it was immensely frustrating for loot addicts like us. All that decay!! :eek:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Went there recently to help a new player or returnee to get to his corpse after ressing. It was carnage! And it was immensely frustrating for loot addicts like us. All that decay!! :eek:
Thats why I love Sanctuary. Teaches you how to avoid and live thru all those distance damagers. You rarely have anyone there bothering your playtime. I thought the arrows were from some of the orcs. I got lost and killed in the tunnels by the Camp in the partially blocked area and never got back to that body a long time ago. I have a chest from Koole that I carried around for years because he would not accept it. I was able to send it to the bank with the chest of sending.