• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

SGW vs. UO

• Thread starter ChewingGumWarrior
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

ChewingGumWarrior

How will SGW compare to Ultima Online? I really haven't enjoyed an MMO since UO and am looking for something that incorporates the same sense of "this is a real world" that UO did.

V

ValenceTrident

This is a decent question. Will SGW have levels? If not, that's a huge step towards a more "UO-like" game.

K

Kiminality

As I recall from the HoC, SGW will be level based.
Although, the character level will not be as important as their equipment (which may, or may not, have a level requirement).
As a nod to realism, a level 40 character will be better than a level 10, but as I understand it, if you kit them out with the same items, the lvl40 would not have the same god-like advantage as in other games.

For how it will compare to UO... It depends what you want.
PvP isn't a priority, last I heard, so if that's what you're looking for... Probably not...
PvE is a priority, which they're hoping to try new dynamics with...
RP... I don't know... But of all the MMOs I've played, UO is still the best for RP...

S

Saris

in the first SWG rp elemtent was very strong. You had a feeling you were right their. too bad everyone wanted a Jedi.

K

Kiminality

I confess, I've not played SWG.
You said "first" though, so I presume there's not much of an RP element now?
Curiosity: If yes, post-NGE?

Incedentally, it seems many of the players interested in SGW are former/current SWG players.

And, yes, the acronyms confuse me, too...

J

Jeffdogg

Comparing a game to another game is unfair. They are toally different besides being MMO's..:stir:

K

Kiminality

Comparing a game to another game is unfair. They are toally different besides being MMO's..:stir:
It's natural, though.
The human brain is wired for comparison. But, that aside, there is simply far too much complexity to something as large as an MMO to consider without comparison.
Especially when the development of anything within a genre is an evolution of the concepts that came before it.

J

Jeffdogg

But Stargate isn't close to UO.

SGW is Motherships and P90's, UO is boats and magic :gun:

K

Kiminality

In terms of genre, I'll agree, there are differences.
SGW is Sci-Fi, and UO is fantasy.
Although, the lines between Sci-Fi and Fantasy aren't as clear as you may think. Simply replacing crossbows with guns, and the sea with space, doesn't automatically make them completely dissimilar.

Besides, what's more important to a lot of MMO players isn't setting, so much as the game's various qualities.
UO has been around for 10 years, with stagnant development for a significant part of that. With all the other fantasy MMOs around, you'd think people would have all jumped ship, if that were the only factor.
The fact that fantasy MMO players are looking into SGW would suggest otherwise.

Clarke's third law:
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The setting is important to me. If the game strays from the lore of the world, like SWG did by allowing everyone to be jedi's when the jedis had been hunted down and killed in the Clone Wars, it borks the game and makes it not true to the genre.

The game, however, cannot compare to other games. It could, sorta compare to other sci-fi games, but not really. It's unique and each game hsa its own playstyle and such.

The only thing you could compare would be ease of leveling, PVP, ease of acquiring needed items, ease of managing a guild (or command in this case) and things that are similar in other games. After that, comparisons would be out the window.

I mean, I wouldn't compare Tabula Rasa to UO even tho it had some of the same bugs as UO did when it came out.