• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Severe Lag Every Time I am "Dumped" On in PvP

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm having a terrible time lately in pvp. Every time I am "dumped" on, whether it is by a mage, dexxer, archer or thrower, I encounter severe lag. I can't figure out what is going on. It started a few patches ago, but around that time I also upgraded my video card. So I can't figure out whether it is my new video card, one of the EC patches, or one of the Pinco's UI patches that is the problem, or some driver or hardware issue related to my new video card.

When I run benchmarks on my video card they are fine. My video card is rock solid stable and performs above average for my operating system and combination of hardware. The one thing I haven't noticed is whether there is any unusual hardware activity, such as paging file activity, or spikes in cpu or gpu usage. I'm going to run tests on that right now and see if I notice any results.

As for the usual suspects, I run spyware and anti-virus scans once a week, and those have all been clean, and there are no indications such as popups, system slowdowns, or unusual network activity to indicate that I have any issue of that sort. I also defrag my hard drives once a week and have specifically defragged my EC folder just to be doubly sure.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I just ran some tests. I did manage to reproduce the lag with some friends, but I didn't notice any unusual cpu, gpu or disk usuage, other than perhaps some writing to either the My Documents folder or perhaps the Temp folder.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well, I might have solved the problem. I discovered my "temp" folder had over 3GB of crap in it, so I tried to delete all that, and in the process discovered that the "ATI Technologies" folder which I typically had placed in my temp folder was actually in use. It used to be that you could delete that folder after you installed your ATI drivers because it was only used during the process of installing your drivers and supporting software.

However, it appears now that it actually is part of the main installation of your drivers and supporting software, so I uninstalled and reinstalled my video drivers and moved that folder to it's default location on my systems drive, which just happens to be an ssd.

Anyway, I got into a furball after that and the only lag I noticed was the typical Atl Yew lag and the death lag when I bit the dust after being dumped on by four or five opponents. So I think the lag issue I was experiencing may have been solved. I find that usually when I get desperate enough to post about a technical problem I am experiencing, and ask for help, I will immediately figure out the solution on my own... :)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Glad you have it sorted i was leaning towards something to do with your card

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have exact the same expierence, as long i am doing pvm stuff everything runs fine, i can do champs for hours and if i want to do some pvp iam lagging, players are hopping arround, iam crashing, thats frustrating, thats why iam not doing it anylonger. sad...

But this problems might not be fixed by deleting the temp folder or Llewen?