• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

September 24th, 1997.... Did you log on that day and are still logging ?

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I waited over 18months for my beta CD to arrive ... lagged so much I could hardly play in the beta, just walked about and died alot.

Then I wasn't able to get the live release till friends in the US sent me a copy, so I didnt get to log in till early Dec '97.

When I did finally log in, my friend came to meet my newly created char, dressed in a smart shiny full plate suit. So I went into war mode and attacked them.

I was dead within the first min of logging-in.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
welcome to the ''100 club''... jesus... yes i mssed the first 2 years.. longtime.. yes.... but pleaee be realstic.....if theres a 100 folks .... NO 200 folks tops ......left that logged in on the launch day ....ill buy them all a UO pie....

like then... like this ...show ya faces........ lest see if we get 100 / 200 likes for 100 /200 UO pies..... NOT AND NO

Reactions: Pix

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep, sounds about right. This is how my first minute of UO went:

Me: (character created and lands in Britain)

Other player: "Hello new person! Welcome to Ultima Online! I shall be your tour guide, follow me!"

Me: Ok! (follows him to Britain graveyard)

Me: "why did my screen turn gray?"

Other player: "Your tour is complete, bye!"

Ahh the good old days...

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I waited over 18months for my beta CD to arrive ... lagged so much I could hardly play in the beta, just walked about and died alot.

Then I wasn't able to get the live release till friends in the US sent me a copy, so I didnt get to log in till early Dec '97.

When I did finally log in, my friend came to meet my newly created char, dressed in a smart shiny full plate suit. So I went into war mode and attacked them.

I recall being killed regularly by single mongbats....

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My husband and I paid I think 69.99, I have the receipt in the jewel case still, for UO and bought the book for half price 'cus someone ripped the map out of the book. Buggers! We consumed the book and waited for the servers to open. We shared an account in the beginning. he played on LS and I on Great Lakes. one computer, one phone line. I got my own account, computer and phone line for Christmas the following year. Ah... the memories!

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
I remember attempting to play this back when it was released here in Australia, we had dial up internet so it was laggy and slow so my friend I gave up that night sadly.
I do remember taunting a player named Superman, he kept telling me to step out of town which I don't think back then I really understood why. (No doubt he was going to gank me which I most likely deserved lol

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Played Beta on a friends account when he wasn't playing. They never shipped to Athens Ga originally, only to Atlanta.
I wasn't driving 2 hours just to pick up a game. I snatched up my own account soon as it hit the stores in Athens.
Still playing the same account today :) It's never been inactive for a single day :)

Pix

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I remember attempting to play this back when it was released here in Australia, we had dial up internet so it was laggy and slow so my friend I gave up that night sadly.
The lag was so bad, that once you recalled to your house (after you upgraded from a tent) unlocked the door, opened the door, the door had slammed shut and smashed you in the face. So you would double click on the door again to open it and boom, it smashes you in the face over and over ... Just getting in past your doorway, without letting 15 unwanted ppl in to loot all your stuff was often a challenge.

There were a couple of guys from Australia playing back then, that made a comic strip this one reminds me of how bad the lag was; I would just freeze up and miss sooo much of what was happening.

B0N3D00D and pLaTeDeWd meet Orcdude

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
was 1999 before we had the internet, dial up so yes I was NOT there for the Beta *snap fingers*. Was playing the PC versions of the ones before UO. I still have the old boxes and floppy disks for all of them. Had to get a 2nd phone line as I would get a disconnect every time someone called the house and the kids would answer the phone all shouting I got it, it's for me, my Boyfriend is calling for me, etc.. Was another three yrs before Cox Cable finally got fiber opt lines to us. Thank the lord I survived dial up!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
was 1999 before we had the internet, dial up so yes I was NOT there for the Beta *snap fingers*. Was playing the PC versions of the ones before UO. I still have the old boxes and floppy disks for all of them. Had to get a 2nd phone line as I would get a disconnect every time someone called the house and the kids would answer the phone all shouting I got it, it's for me, my Boyfriend is calling for me, etc.. Was another three yrs before Cox Cable finally got fiber opt lines to us. Thank the lord I survived dial up!!
I was in the same boat only I didn't even have a computer until then. In 97 when UO was in Beta I was just out of college for the second time... and struggling to raise 2 kids solo... I wasn't even thinking about computers... except at work where I found them more annoying than helpful.