• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Seeking player stories for UO book

ultimabook

Visitor
Hail, and well met!

As a longtime UO player (retired) and author, I'm in the process of concepting a non-fiction book about Ultima Online, it's impact on the MMO industry as a whole, and the people who've played it.

The reason I'm here is because I'd like to feature stories from players that will help drive home to the reader why UO is/was an experience that has yet to be replicated by any other game.

I come to you, the community, because even in my short six years of playing the game, I only know a small chunk of history that I was part of, and I'm hoping you'll help me fill in some blind spots.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR:

*** FAMOUS/INFAMOUS PLAYERS *** Each shard had players, both good and bad, who carried a reputation wherever they went. Whether they were a knight in shining armor, who would selflessly dive into their own bank to help others, or a Player Killer who would force you to take the long way to Minoc to avoid them, everyone had a play style that was unique. If you have a person in mind, great! Bonus points if you can help me reach out to them.

*** VETERAN PLAYERS *** Throughout the highs and lows of UO, there have been those players who have stayed loyal to the game and I'm interested in speaking with those who have consistently played the game for 15-20 years of its lifespan.

*** COUNSELORS/SEERS *** In the early days of UO, players volunteered as counselors and seers, adding lifeblood to their shards and building legacies of their own. These characters are often remember for the helping hands they provided or the adventures they took players on, and I'd love to chat with those willing to talk about the experience.

*** PLAYER-RUN CITIES/COMMUNITIES *** Every shard had/has player-created establishments that help to set them apart from the others, creating a community unique to that shard. Whether it was a tavern, a vendor hall, a community center, or an city build from the ground up, what were your favorites? (Also, consider groups like the famed Shadowclan Orcs, who used existing in-game areas for roleplaying purposes).

*** HISTORICAL EVENTS *** We all know about that time Lord British was killed by Rainz, but what were other large scale, unique events (run by players, Seers, the dev team) that are still vivid in your mind to this day?

I'll keep an eye on this thread, so feel free to share stories here. If you'd like to go more in-depth on your story, or have contact information for someone you feel I should speak with, please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected] or fill out our survey form: UO Book General Information Form

Serious inquiries only, please. It's my goal to have this project celebrate the amazing, ever-evolving history of Ultima Online and those players who have contributed to its rich history.

Last edited:

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will have to hunt down my story from sea herder event that I wrote for UO contest. It was summation of the legends sea herders event. Legends had three such communities. Sadly they have all decayed, but I bet some legendary legend folks know the stories. As for vet players, legend's had Lady Phoenix and cheesy or cats (Mss gyspy correct me) had Ozog Giantfart.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can also go to the Nameless Rune Library just south of Yew Gate in Trammel on Great Lakes and find tons of player written books.

Or I can suggest several websites, starting with:

Library of Sosaria - Library of Sosaria

The Hansonian Institute

Elves of PGoH

Just a few off the top of my head... all excellent sources of information. There are 100's of Ultima sites... it's more than obvious that it had a massive impact on players.

ultimabook

Visitor
Thanks everyone who has responded so far! Keep it coming!

This project will be less history (since there are so many shards, each with their own unique past) and focus more on the player experience and why UO has been a game that's continued to operate for 20 years, allowing players to build relationships and share life-changing adventures.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Might I suggest you consider asking people you feel are "famous" or whatever and ask to interview them? I'm sure some might find that rather interesting...

Or perhaps make a post on each shard forum that you are interested in talking to "Legends" of their shard, old seers etc... folk may have contacts of some people who perhaps don't come here... never know.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I will share 2 stories...the first of which put me on the radar to become a reporter for Stratics. I was a regular player and this was my own account of the events that transpired that evening.

A bit of backstory first...not too much!

I came to Origin on day one of it's inception with several people from Napa Valley, which was my original shard. Over time, I changed guilds and became a member of BTH, one of the most hated Guilds back then. After some time, I left BTH and joined The Dynasty...it was shortly after this that the blackrock mania took hold...and we had to battle the swirling tornado creature down in Terra Keep.

QuestionMarkMonster.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have any of the images that went with my story, the above image is from somewhere else. After this long arduous battle I posted this story the next morning;

Well...all of you citizens of Brittannia...it is with mixed feelings that I bring you this tale.

After having found out about the new spell to vanquish the mysterious black flames...I hurried to Origin forums to post, hoping a few Originals would help me defeat the evil swirling mist that lie deep inside the Terrathan lair. I waited...and waited...to no avail. The Originals disappointed me...shaking my head I turned to my ICQ..scanning in hopes of finding one brave soul..and found several. Unfortunately they are my enemy..so with a heavy heart, I passed the words of power on to my old guildmate in BTH, wishing them the best in defeating the monster. 20 minutes pass...it's dead...was easy.

Well...with 20 people I shouldn't wonder...so YAY Origin is free of the swirling tornado Felluca-side..but what of the fate of Trammel? The spawn there was thick..and still no Originals stepped up to the plate.

Around 12:20 AM Central a friend of mine ICQ'd..so what's up? She says...having no clue of the events that had transpired that day. So I sent her a link..Hmm she said...so what are you doing? Nothing..I say sadly...I am the only one brave enough to go inside the keep. What kind of char do you need? She says...well from what I was reading and hearing I said..Mages, I think. So she suits up her mage..bless her! And another friend..WOW! I have three brave souls willing to fight! But is that enough?

Sitting on my treasure hunter, for she is the only peacer I have..I gate us to the roof of the keep..winding our way down the tower ladders, area peacing all the way...after several mishaps we finally make our way to the pit...and the evil-looking tornado that lies in wait...the three of us stare at it for a moment...pondering....then I speak the words..AN SANCT FLAM...WOOSH go the flames..earth ellies and EV's seem mind boggled, wandering up the ladder and getting eaten by the monster...as with Deamons as well. So I start casting mind blast...I have no Eval! GM lockpicking and carto leave no room! Trying to peace the beast leads to instant death and it actually left it's pedestal a few times to teach me a lesson...which I learned rather quickly.

It was about this time that a man dressed in all gold showed up...Hero...blinking, he kindly offered to help...it's easy..he said...I've helped kill it on 5 shards already..just keep me healed and cast fire balls..shrugging I added him to the party bringing us up to 4..then another popped out of hiding..Morathia our friend. So now we have 5. Again we douse the evil flames and lay waste upon the beast..or should I turn that around?

Near the beginning as I was saying the words of power, I noticed an interesting thing...the evil mist was spawning BERSERKERS to attack us...great..we're in even more trouble then I thought!

Thankfully, another friend of mine popped on ICQ and I said ~Get your arse to Terra Keep right now!~ So we finally have a party of 6...5 mages and Hero, the dexxor. We fought bravely for 3 hours...yes...3 hours...and death after death after death..FINALLY it was redlined...

WOOT GO ORIGIN! I can't believe we did this with 6 people...I didn't even check my bank to see how much insurance I went through. Once it was readlined we all but one died again...grouping up for the final assault, I felt a rush of adrenaline...we are doing this!

(Here I had inserted a picture of the death animation which was a big ring of fire and smoke)

OMG IT'S DEAD???? WE DID IT??? I quickly ran aorund collecting black rocks...4 that I could see, 2 on the bridge that we couldn't get to due to the berserkers that were there...I see our friend Hero running madly trying to find rock as well...and then he vanishes...I turn around amazed...and a berserker spawns before my eyes....and wipes out..our entire party. I stood there for a moment in shock...did that just happen??? Hero..I say in party chat...where did you go? Oh I panicked...hit wrong button sorry recalled out...???? Why do you have your runebook open in the middle of a fight? Are you coming back to help us? I don't know how to get down there...but you said you helped kill it on 5 other shards...oh someone gated me from Luna..~sigh~ a covetor of blackrock for sure...he took the goods and ran..leaving us to stand here..numbly watching as our bodies decay one..by one. No one else in my party got any blackrock...I help stucked out the moment I realized that no one was coming to save us.

I rez in Del, recall in, half-way there...end of hallway...dead again...there is no way I will make it back in time...another party member tried..with no success due to the number of berserkers down that at the time.

Amazingly enough...after 3 minutes..everyones bones were gone...except mine...our other party member tried stealthing in...I could have help stucked out again but you know how fast bones decay! I didn't think there was time! But my bones stayed....for almost 15 minutes...we stood there watching...hurry Kai hurry here bones are still here! We were in shock! I said jokingly...~oh it's probably because I had the blackrock on me~

Almost 15 minutes later...they finally disappeared...and we let out a collective sigh...3 hours...and nothing to show for it. Oh our friend Hero..I'm sure he got the rock...and high tailed it out before the berserkers spawned at the end...

I went to bed at 3:35 this morning with a heavy heart...not even bothering to post this until now...and it was then, laying in bed...thinking about how long my bones stayed there...WAS it because I had the blackrock on my corpse? How magical IS this rock? And where does it come from?

So on one hand...we prevailed. Origin has defeated the beast on both facets...BTH fought for 20 minutes...the 6 of us fought for 3 hours...

But on the other...we lost out on a very precious item...and are left with the thoughts...and pictures....and questions...why DID my bones last so long??

On a side note, I had a blast, it was fun! I don't mind dying...over and over lol, but what our ~Hero~ did left a sour taste in my mouth.

(Funny thing is HERO is still around..I see him at every EM event...well most of them..I know who it is now! And always meant to give him a hard time about that night but never have :) )

I don't remember what year this was.

The second story I will share tomorrow because I am tired of typing right now! LOL but it is about the player-run town we had back when Origin was new.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have a library but I don't think they are what the OP is looking for. They are fictional stories mainly about characters in my guild.

OK why is that photobucket message appearing on my post??
You have it linked through photobucket and they don't allow 3rd party hosting. Best bet would be to take the image and upload it here or from your computer.

Flagg

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What a cool idea! Best of luck with your project OP.

Nice to see library recommendations turning into a legit pile. Here is another; Deepwater Public Library on Europa

Some of the tomes housed here date back to late 90's. History section is small but delicious and features gems such as (passive-aggressive!!) account of Richard Garriot's first and only visit to Deepwater at some point in 1999! OP behind the link provided has a very out of date listing of the books shelved.

If you do end up visiting Europa for one reason or another, you NEED to check Spiritwood University and it's ancient and awesome collection of academia. It is a large tower between Skara Brae and Demon Maze. Atlast on 1st floor of my place comes with a rune leading there. If you do visit the university, be sure to dig deep to those seemingly modest old shelves, they are all far less empty than graphics would imply.

Another place worth visit for those lusting for player written stuff is the lore library near RAA, rune in the same Atlas!

Last edited:

ultimabook

Visitor
Big thanks to everyone who continues to share. I invite all of you to fill out a survey I've set up if you'd like to share your stories directly (and help me stay organized in my research).

SURVEY: UO Book General Information Form

I've been contacted by many people thus far (which is fantastic), though I'm still looking for stories from people who played "good" characters, whether that was as an anti-PK, someone who went out of their way to help new players, someone who participated in Order/Chaos wars, or some other unique style of gameplay not included above.

I'm also still actively seeking stories of "infamous" people from your shards. Bonus points if you know how to contact them, but I also need second hand stories to corroborate the info. So if there's someone you saw everywhere (like HERO, mentioned in a previous post) I'd love for you to consider submitting those stories through the survey as well!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I wasn't a counselor but I was and still am friends with someone who was...or rather a companion. (I think companions were before counselors? )

He was banned and I interviewed him and posted his story. He no longer plays UO but I still talk to him.

Here is the story I posted;

Origin says good-bye to a 9-year vet

It is with a saddened heart that I bring you this story.

My dear friend Thomas sent me a message yesterday telling me that his 3 main accounts had been banned, with no option for recovery. Caught macro'ing on one account, 2 others banned by association. He wanted his story to be heard, a one last good-bye before he left.

Now, before the ~I told you so's~ and the ~He got what he deserved~ let me start from the beginning.

Thomas logged into UO for the first time during his Sophomore year of high school, 1997. A miner/swordsman was his profession of choice for his first year as he learned the in's and out's of UO..the shard..Baja.

He remember's GM'ing swords...3 months of beating up ogre lords to achieve that goal. His first guild, of which he was Guild Leader...VKR, Valorious Knights of the Round. ~I was the GM, I spent many hours in T2A with that guild farming Titan's for Vanq's~

I asked him how he felt back then about PK's.

~In the beginning, I was always against PK'ing. I got whacked a few times as a newbie when it was extremely difficult to recover from losing your armor and weapon. I decided if I ever got good, I would be the person who stood up for the little guy.~

~I remember getting my first house...a small brick one, after they removed tents. It cost me all of 15K~

~After I graduated High School, I moved out of my parents house and went to college.~

Here he paused...and I asked him what his main goals were at that time...his answer made me smile...

~To get a high speed connection to PvP with of course!~

So with his state of the art 550 MHz P3, he was unstoppable. This was back in early 1999. At that time he became the Anti-PK he had always wanted to be.

Also at that time, he applied for a new Helper program called Companionship. He was accepted in the first wave of applicants. It became his job to help and protect (Young) players. He created a guild for them called Vesper Academy. It utilized old veteran players who were masters in their fields to teach new players...and for this, he became the West Coast Arch Companion...he was also Companion of the Month back in 2001. A sign displaying this feat can still be seen at the Companion Hall on Baja in the far northwest corner of Haven City. (I am unsure if that is still there as Haven was rather destroyed)

Between 2001 and 2003, he was part of a guild known as H2O, a guild of faction PvP'rs. The members of the guild became close friends, and Thomas has kept in touch with them over the years.

~When AoS came out, a lot of my friends quit. I stuck around and played some...PvP'd some...but not much..I mostly played Factions when I had the time.~

~In 2005, EA announced a new server would be created called Origin. I decided this would be my new beginning. I arrived day one and worked my ass off to get ahead of everyone. I placed a castle, joined a fantastic guild called The Dynasty, and have been there pretty much ever since. Without my guildmates in Dynasty, I think I would have stopped playing UO about 2 months after Origin was created.~

~On Origin, I made a lot of new friends...Son, Badass, Majora, Silverstreak to name a few...I can't name them all or this would go on forever.~

~On February 16th, 2007, I was caught macro'ing a crafting skill unattended, obviously warranting losing my 3 accounts which I have had since at least 1998, of which I've been a dedicated subscriber and paid EA pretty close to $4000 to play over the years.~

That number blew me away...$4000? Talk about dedication. I asked him if that was his first offense.

~I was never banned for macro'ing in the past. I got a 72 hour verbal harassment warning back in 2004...but that is my only mark in 9 years....9 perfect years.~

~Am I mad that I was banned? No...not really. I understood the risks, although I thought it was a bit extreme to ban all of my accounts for a first offense..but hey, who am I to tell you how to run your game?~

I asked Thomas...after all that...9 years of dedication..a nearly spotless record...friends made...would he come back?

~I am now 26 years old. I have played UO since I was 16, I've grown up with the game and I hate to see it go, but I will not be opening a new account. I have my first-born child on the way and a successful career that takes up most of my time. I will miss UO, it was a big part of my life. I made a lot of friends here and I will miss you all, but for me, this is where the game of life begins, and my digital life ends.~

9 Year vet and friend of UO
Thomas

Good bye Thomas, Redemption, Spear of Hate and the many other names we know you as...may your lifes path lead you in a good direction.

(I know this is a second-hand story but it's a good one of a companion/counselor)

Dixie chessy/legends

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
you should also add some of the epic bugs that uo has had in its 20 years....some were harmless fun , like being able to trap spawn in boxes at the npc shops " i got some of the neatest things doing this" ....then there was the doggy dupe bug ...was also a fun one but i think it was highly frowned upon. there have been so many things through the years, but now the spawn trapping was such fun! was like a treasure hunt you never knew what you would get

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My favorite place in UO.
Would dang sure take quite a while to read them all. Hey, maybe you know... I have not read through all of them (nowhere near honestly lol) but had someone ask if all of them were just Atlantic history or if there are books from other shards there. Told them I was kinda sure they were Atl specific but would find out for sure. Do you know if they are?

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would dang sure take quite a while to read them all. Hey, maybe you know... I have not read through all of them (nowhere near honestly lol) but had someone ask if all of them were just Atlantic history or if there are books from other shards there. Told them I was kinda sure they were Atl specific but would find out for sure. Do you know if they are?
Almost all of those are Atlantic history books. There is everything from guild fiction, Role Play Community fiction, old seer fiction, EM fiction books and just about everything of literary value the Atlantic server has ever created is stored in that house. I would love to see it all exported one of these days.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Almost all of those are Atlantic history books. There is everything from guild fiction, Role Play Community fiction, old seer fiction, EM fiction books and just about everything of literary value the Atlantic server has ever created is stored in that house. I would love to see it all exported one of these days.
Cool, thanks for confirming my thoughts. Figured you had read way more of them than I have. It's a "bucket list" thing for me, want to complete them all before either I roll out or UO stops working lol. But I actually have to stick reading glasses on to read them these days.. still waiting on the "UO Large Print Edition"... I will be the first one to purchase it :thumbup1:

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My story would start with.....

Around 20 years ago there was a rather fascinating man I got to know over time in the 1st graphical interface chat room called "The Palace". After a year or so he was insistent that I get this game called Ultima Online. I wasn't interested and besides I had a mac, not a pc. In my view, during those days of Evil PCs vs. Savy, Intelligent MACs, this was just short sighted and wrong that the game wasn't playable on a mac. Well my friend ended up sending me the game which I could not play. It sat on my shelf for a couple months before I thought that maybe I would write the company who's name was on the CD and ask them if they were going to write a program for macs. After a few days I actually got a response.

No. Not now, never will.

No apology, no asking for forgiveness, just blatant straightforward PC WINS!! MAC LOSES!!

So I bought a PC and that was the beginning of a change in my life.

FisherNap

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you have the story of Order the tame Ancient Wyrm ?
I am responding to a 5 year old thread, but I do remember ORDER the ancient wyrm. I am not sure how he got the name, I suspect he was used in the old Order/Chaos battles. He was tamed by a tamer named Azaroth, I believe, one of the founders of United Tamers of Britannia. He was on the Atlantic shard. There was a brief period in 1997 or 1998 when these creatures became tamable. There were other ancient wyrms tamed, but they all quickly died or were removed by GMs. However, ORDER's master was a responsible player, did not use the wyrm for griefing or other nefarious purposes, so even though GM's were aware of its existence, they decided to leave him be.

When Azaroth left UO, ORDER was given to another Atlantic player, Herakles I believe, also with UTB. Herakles was very protective of the creature and rarely took him out, fearing some cowboy GM would delete it, or some connection problem would lead the creature to go feral. Therefore, ORDER survived for years, mostly quietly in the stables. One day, on a mirror of the Atlantic shard used for testing, ORDER had a night out. It was then that I met the lord of the dragons, and watched his awesome power. But it was only rare events like this that the ancient wyrm left the stable.

Eventually, around 2001 or 2002, it was time to say goodbye to ORDER. Only heard the story years later. The dragon's master decided to let ORDER die peacefully in the stables (back when you needed to refresh pets weekly or they would be deleted). ORDER was allows to pass, and has been gone for 20 years or more.

It is nice to see the legend still survives.