Seed Definitions?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
I'm new to groing vegetations and was wondering where I can find a list of seeds and what each seed grows into? I understand it is somewhat random but aren't their categories? I have Red, Blue, Yellow, Plain, Common, Uncommon, Rare, & Exceptional Seeds. They all can't possibly grow into the same thing, correct? Their are catagories? Perhaps which monsters the seeds came off of dictates what category the plants could grow in?

To let you know a little about my experience level with growing, I am currently growing my first 2 plants (They're in stages 7 & 8, doing great!). For example. I'd like to grow Bright Orange Poppies to harvest orange petals. So I read up on UO Stratics that I need to do the following:

1. Find Campion Flowers and Fern seeds on a bogling and crosspollinate to Lilies
2. Crosspollinate Campion Flowers and Lilies to get Snowdrops
3. Crosspollinate Campion Flowers and Snowdrops to get Poppies

I killed a bunch of Boglings and Bog Things and retrieved several red, blue, & yellow seeds. Am I on the right path? Just plant and grow them until my desired plant is produced for stage 1 (Champion Flowers & Fern Seeds).

If possible, I think a generic guide or definition of what seeds have the possibility of producing what plants or a list of all possible seeds that can be acquired would be helpful to the newcomer.

Thanks!

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
Hi There, and Welcome!

The seeds you've listed are of two general types. The Common, Uncommon, Rare and Exceptional seeds will grow into bonsai trees. The trees don't produce seeds or resources, but they are cute to look at.

The other seeds - red, blue, yellow and plain will produce some kind of 1st generation plants belonging to the main plant system. These seeds that are dropped as loot by bog things and boglings come in one of the four colors you listed - and they will grow into a fern, campion or tribarrel cactus - but you won't know which until you grow the seeds into plants. Loot-dropped seeds aren't labelled with a plant type, but you'll find out which they are on day 7 of their growth when they "pop" out of their plant bowls.

There's a lot more information on gardening available in our current FAQ. You can also find gardening information on Lady Willow's Website - it's a favorite among gardeners.

You're definitely on the right path in your pursuit of bright orange poppies! Let us know how things go, and if you have any other questions please post them - we'll be happy to answer.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
So yes, there are "categories" of seeds. They are:

1) Main Plant System Seeds - 1st generation seeds are found as loot on bog things/boglings and come in blue, red, yellow or plain colors. 2nd - 4th generation seeds can only be produced through cross-pollination. Through cross-pollination you can get seeds in bright red, orange, bright orange, bright yellow, green, bright green, bright blue, purple, bright purple. If you are lucky enough to get mutated seeds during cross-pollination, they will be black or white. There are a total of 17 plant types in the main plant system.

2) Naturalist Quest Seeds - obtained from a Naturalist after completing his quest. Come in pink, aqua and magenta. If you complete an extra, optional quest step, you'll get a fire colored seed. These seeds are not labelled with a plant type - but will grow into one of the 17 plant types belonging to the main plant system.

3) Bonsai Seeds - dropped as loot by Tokuko creatures only. Common, Uncommon and Rare bonsai seeds will grow into a pink or green bonsai tree in a round or rectangular planter. Exceptional seeds grow into a peach-colored bonsai, and Exotic seeds grow into a silver bonsai.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
Thank you very much. You are so hopeful and considerate.

I understand much clearer now how to proceed. I was also wondering about dirt. The only source I've found for dirt is killing Earth Elementals (which is nice because it "fertile" dirt). How does one gather plain dirt?

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
You can fill a plant bowl with plain dirt by double-clicking a plant bowl, then targeting any dirt road or dirt ground patch. You can find dirt roads or dirt ground patches in or around almost any town or city.

Fertile dirt will give a plant a small chance to grow a little faster than usual, but as you've discovered it takes time to collect, and since it takes 40 pieces (!) to fill one plant bowl, most gardeners use plain dirt for most of their plant growing.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
Thanks again Hyssmaye.

Although I know I can jump around to different vendors and buy the specific plants I want to use to decorate my home, I thought it would be much more exciting and fulfilling to grow them on my own.

Your advise is going into my notes and will be of great foundational value as I pursue this goal!

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
Hi, I'm back with more questions.

The 1st of my 4 plants has sprouted today {stage 7} - (I planted 1 plain, 1 yellow, 1 red, & 1 blue seed looted off boglings/bog things) and I was reading up on the forums as well as the link: http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/plantcrossing.php?color=Bright%20Orange&plant=Poppies

as to how I go about cross-pollinating to get Bright Orange Poppies so I can harvest orange petals which will help me stand up to those evil PKers.

So I wanted to repeat what I think I’ve learned in the forums and then perhaps you can approve or correct me if I’m wrong (it seems very complicated and more than one way to obtain orange poppies).

I should begin by telling you that the 1st of 4 seeds I’ve planted (which I looted off boglings and bog things) has sprouted into a Yellow Champion flower.

From what I’ve gathered in the forums and website listed above, this is how I should proceed:

METHOD A:

Step 1:
Take pollen from any colored Champion Flower (or must it be plain?) and apply it to any colored Fern flower. This will produce Lilies.

Step 2:
Take pollen from a different Champion Flower (any color or must it be plain?) and cross-pollinate with the Lily grown in Step 1. This will produce Snowdrops

Step: 3
Take pollen a different Champion Flower (any color or must it be plain?) and cross-pollinate with the Snowdrop produced in Step 2. This will produce Orange Poppies.

Step 4:
Take pollen from an Orange Poppy flower and cross-pollinate it with another Orange Poppy Flower. This will produce the end product, Bright Orange Poppies!!

OR

METHOD B: (taken from an existing post)

Okay, here's one path to Bright Orange Poppies starting from dropped seeds. I’ll use the following abbreviations – DR = Dull Red, DY = Dull Yellow, DO = Dull Orange, BO = Bright Orange:

1) Start with these three plants, grown to day 7. Since you aren't sure which plants you'll get from dropped seeds, if you don't end up with all three of these plants in your first batch and have to grow more seeds to get the others, just toss the plants you do grow successfully into a secure container in your house - this will freeze their growth at day 7:

DR Campion
DY Campion
DY Fern

2) Use the DR Campion as the "father plant" and pollinate the DY Campion and DY Fern. Grow a seed from the DY Campion - it will become a DO Campion. Grow a seed from the DY Fern – it will become a DO Lilies.

3) On day 7 of the new plants’ growth, use the DO Campion as the “father plant” and pollinate the DO Lilies. Then, put the DO Campion, still un-pollinated, into a secure container in your house.

4) Grow a seed from the DO Lilies – it will become a BO Snowdrops. Cross-pollinate your stored DO Campion and the new BO Snowdrops (you can pollinate each plant with the other and end up with 16 seeds total). The seeds produced will grow into petal-producing BO Poppies.

To Summarize:

DR campion * DY fern = DO lilies
DR campion * DY campion = DO campion
DO campion * DO lilies = BO snowdrops
BO snowdrops * DO campion = BO poppies

I also have a few related questions.

1. Is it true that you can take a plant at stage 7 and put it in a secure container and it will “freeze” its growth allowing you to harvest pollen indefinitely?

2. If I harvest pollen from a plant locked down on a table in my house today, how long will that pollen be valid? Does it have time limit (example: pollen harvested today, if not applied to another plant, will disappear in 7 days)???

3. Method B talks of “Dull Yellow Champions”. Are these different than “Yellow Champions”?

4. I grabbed a Eternally corrupted Tree off a Mel. What does this do? I'm afraid to double click and place and find out I cannot relocate it with an axe like deeded furniture.

I apologize for the long post but from what I gather, even if you know what you’re doing it is a long, long process to create Bright Orange Poppies. And for a newbie gardener (like myself) now knowing what their doing; it would take even longer with lots of failures

Thanks!

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
Hi!

Congratulations on your Yellow Campion! You're right, getting to bright orange poppies is complicated when you're starting from loot-dropped seeds, and there are multiple ways to get there. You can use either Method A or Method B from your post, just don't use any plain plants. Any color plant crossed with a plain plant will always produce plain seeds - if you introduce a plain plant into the sequence of crosses you won't be able to end up with bright orange seeds. Also, a "dull yellow" plant and a "yellow" plant are the same thing. Some of us (including me hehe) use "dull" to reinforce that we aren't talking about a "bright" colored plant - even though it's not a technically correct term, since non-bright seeds and plants aren't labelled with a "dull" prefix - just "green" or "red" or whatever color.

Also, if you use Method A, you'll want to use only red and yellow plants for your initial crosses, so you can get orange plants to cross for bright orange seeds. There's a chart here (scroll down a little) that shows which color seeds you get from crossing two colors together. If you cross two plants of the same base color, you'll get bright colored seeds of that base color (orange*orange OR bright orange*orange OR bright orange*bright orange all result in bright orange seeds).

For your other questions:

#1) yes, putting a plant in a secure will freeze its growth. You can actually harvest pollen from any live plant that's at least 7 days old - freezing at day 7 is handy though when you have a plant that you want to pollinate at some future date, since you can only pollinate a plant on day 7 or 8. I've got quite a few plants that are years old that I keep in a secure, and I still use them to pollinate other plants.

#2) Pollen isn't actually a separate item in the game - when you "gather pollen" from a plant your cursor will turn into a target cursor, then to pollinate you just target an unpollinated plant and left-click it.

#3) answered this one above...

#4) I'm not sure about the eternally corrupted tree - I *think* it's just a decorative item. Are you able to put it on the floor and then lock it down? If so, I'd try saying 'I wish to release this' and then target the tree when you want to move it, rather than using an axe on it...the axe might well destroy it.

Let us know how the quest goes!

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
Hey there,

Thank you so much for your advice. With it I feel confident the only thing that stands in my way of growing Bright Orange Poppies and harvesting Orange Petals is time.

Just wanted to know how much you're appreciated. You have been enormously helpful; I know where to go if I have any other questions.

p.s. As for the Eternally Corrupted Tree, I tried to place it but it looks no different placed as when in my pack. Was hopping when placed, it would be a great big tree but I guess not. If I learn its purpose, I'll let you know.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
Ok, so one my "Plain Seed" grew into a Plain Fern. I've taken pollen from the Yellow Champion flower (which I've unlocked from table and put in secure container in house) and applied the pollen to the Plain Fern. Now am I to understand the Plain Fern will produce "Lilly Seeds"? Or with the Plain Fern grow into a Lillie Plant?

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
You're very welcome!

I misunderstood about the tree - the eternally corrupt trees won't get larger when you put them in your house. There are two ways to get big trees though: Heritage tokens can be used to claim a tree deed for a cherry blossom tree , an apple tree , or a peach tree . Or, you can build your own tree by stacking different items and locking them down - there are many ways to do this - if you search around on the web or stratics you can find some neat examples.

Regarding your pollination question - your plain fern will produce plain lily seeds. The fern will stay a fern plant, and if you store the fern in a secure once it's produced all 8 of its seeds you can use it to pollinate other plants as a plain fern pollinator.

Airhaun

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2008
Hi Hyssmaye,

How have you been? I hope you had a great Easter.

So I ran into a guy who was liquidating a bunch of gardening supplies. I gated me to his house and their I found a Bright Orange Poppy Seed as well as a Bright Red Pony Tail Seed!! Both, as you know, are special recourse producing plants! So now I am guaranteed an Orange Petal producing plant.

However, for the fulfillment of "doing it yourself", I am still going to cross-pollinate a Bright Orange Poppy plant from scratch. And here is a little on how this is going. I believe I told you that I've grown a yellow champion flower which is in a secure container therefore insuring unlimited pollinating abilities. Today a Red Champion Flower popped through one of my plant bowls! One thing I am not sure on. Whenever a "plain" plant is used to cross-pollinate, the seed produced will always be "plain" correct? Will cross-pollinating 2 poppy plants produce Bright Orange Poppies?

Thanks again!

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
Hi! I did have a nice Easter, thanks

That's great news about the seeds! Yes, any plant crossed with a plain plant will produce plain seeds. Also, any plant type crossed with the same plant type will produce seeds of the same plant type (i.e. poppies * poppies = poppies). So, you can get bright orange poppies by crossing two poppies that are either:

<ul> [*]orange &amp; orange [*]bright orange &amp; orange [*]or bright orange &amp; bright orange [/list]

C

Chameleon

Hi, happen to chance upon this thread and have a question that puzzle me.

i have grow these 3 plants and they are in stage 7 now.
- Bright Green Barrel Cactus
- Red TriBarrel Cactus
- Red Campion Flowers Plant

Have no ultimate plant that i'm growing and wanted to cross them for fun to see what is the outcome. Out of curiousity, i use your link in one of your post to see what can be crossed. I found that tribarrel cactus is neither a primary plant or a secondary plant and it can't be crossed with other plant other than itself. is tribarrel cactus a special plant? How does 1 get the seed from? I bought mine from a vendor sometime back.

And if i cross the green barrel cactus and red campion flowers, what will i get?
it is possible at all?

C

Chameleon

Hee.. found answer for 1st part of my post.
Tribarrel is 1st generation.
It can be cross with a few others. I only look at top down left right, never look across the table.

Now for the second part of question,

And if i cross the green barrel cactus and red campion flowers, what will i get?
it is possible at all?

Can't find this crossing in the table. What will I get?

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 16, 2004
Austin, TX
Hi!

If you cross a bright green barrel cactus and a red campion, you'll get red elephant ears.

I see what you mean about the stratics chart being incomplete - and I went to my favorite site to use their crossing tool (Lady Willow's) and it's DOWN. Yikes!! We'll have to rectify this...

C

Chameleon

Red elephant ears ya say?
Sounds interesting... will try it out.

Hope to see Lady Willow's site back up soon!
Would love to see how their crossing tool is like!