• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

See you in Virginia for the 20th Anniversary party!!!!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Today's UO email included mention of a 20th anniversary party next year. Definitely going, hope to see you all there!!!!!!!!!!!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
go to uo.com
scroll down 1 page & you'll see the block to subscribe to the newsletter. enter your email address and click 'sign up'.

Thank you. Now I just have to find a way to convince the wife how great Virginia is and why we should vacation there in 2017..

*sets about plotting a plan around the "Virginia is for Lovers" motto* :thumbup1:

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you. Now I just have to find a way to convince the wife how great Virginia is and why we should vacation there in 2017..

*sets about plotting a plan around the "Virginia is for Lovers" motto* :thumbup1:
actually there is alot to do in Northern VA. not to mention the D.C. area.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
actually there is alot to do in Northern VA. not to mention the D.C. area.
Cool.. although I try to avoid DC, full of politicians hehe

Creeped on her fb and found out she has an Aunt in northern Va that she has not seen in 10 years.. so the sales job is over :thumbsup:

..she just don't know it yet :D

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Oh, eff...
I don't want to fly to Virginia. :p
The flight to the US takes just too damn long. Last time, when I flew to Indiana for Gen Con 2008, I took off here and it was winter. When I landed in Dallas Fort Worth to get my plane to Indiana it was summer!

But I will consider enduring this madness for this.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yay!!!

Oh, eff...
I don't want to fly to Virginia. :p
The flight to the US takes just too damn long. Last time, when I flew to Indiana for Gen Con 2008, I took off here and it was winter. When I landed in Dallas Fort Worth to get my plane to Indiana it was summer!

But I will consider enduring this madness for this.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sister in Virginia... daughter in Maryland... and a deeply entrenched fear of flying. *sigh*

I'll pause on "wait and see" mode for now.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Was gonna post one of those Virginia Tourism spoofs where they make fun of the state. But there isn't one. Nothing funny about Virginia ;)

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Was gonna post one of those Virginia Tourism spoofs where they make fun of the state. But there isn't one. Nothing funny about Virginia ;)
That depends... I occasionally heard some strange pronunciations when I was in Norfolk, Virginia... *cough*

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
The really important question is... is the booze there any good?
I know that the US has no real coffee, so I will be packing my own if I go, just in case.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know that the US has no real coffee, so I will be packing my own if I go, just in case.
Not from my experience. Edit: Beer at least.:lick:

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who drinks coffee???

I don't even drink the stuff. Bad for your health.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Who drinks coffee???

I don't even drink the stuff. Bad for your health.
I just can't make do without a cup of black as the night, as bitter as my soul and strong enough to punch me in the face coffee right at breakfast and another at 6 pm.
It is just impossible.

And the stuff I was served up there was weaksauce brown water that I could see through. How the heck could anyone call that coffee?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's a Palm restaurant just down to the street from where they work. Dinner and drinks who's with me!!

jeriicco

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry Zath but there is no Absinthe in the states :(

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
sorry Zath but there is no Absinthe in the states :(
That is not a problem.
From what I am reading, I can bring up to one litre of alcohol duty free to the US.
That is enough for 2 bottles of 180 proof Hapsburg absinthe! :D

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Th
There was a whiskey named Virgina Gentleman. Boy, I wish I would get one here in Old Germany. Sadly, a trip to the US would not be in my budget as my family and I recently bought a house... I wish they would celebrate here in Europe... You Americans get all the cool things. ;-)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They
I just can't make do without a cup of black as the night, as bitter as my soul and strong enough to punch me in the face coffee right at breakfast and another at 6 pm.
It is just impossible.

And the stuff I was served up there was weaksauce brown water that I could see through. How the heck could anyone call that coffee?
They should have electricity there... So you can bring your coffee maker and brew your own black killer

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
They
They should have electricity there... So you can bring your coffee maker and brew your own black killer
That is exactly what I will do. Along with 1 litre of 180 proof absinthe and probably another 4 litres of my home brew rum, since the tax to do that is pretty low. We will crash that party!
I am already studying the plane and hotel fares for a 5 days stay around that area so I can budget and set aside days off for 2017.
I am just not looking forward to endure a flight so long, but so long, it lasts two whole weather seasons.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Have you never been in an American liquor store? There's at least two varieties at my local state store, and I live by one of the smaller ones.
I don't think everyone realizes the ban on importing it was lifted in 2007.

And why, hasn't someone brought up a beverage appropriate for the Game Setting? Come on folks, I can't be the only person here with a taste for Mead.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Drinking absinthe from a local liquor store isn't exactly the same as drinking it with the chaste, brave Zath of Legends...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I don't think everyone realizes the ban on importing it was lifted in 2007.

And why, hasn't someone brought up a beverage appropriate for the Game Setting? Come on folks, I can't be the only person here with a taste for Mead.
It still seems to have some problem with Absinthe having thujone in the US. So it is not exactly the true thing.
Regarding mead, I have never tried it, but hey, I now own my own distillery, and learning is always fun, so I will give brewing it a few tries. I have more than an year to get it right. :)

jeriicco

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you never been in an American liquor store? There's at least two varieties at my local state store, and I live by one of the smaller ones.
per FDA regulations all USA approved absinthe must test thujone free. Thujone to absinthe is like caffeine to coffee. Highly unlikely you will be dancing with the green fairy if you purchased your absinthe state side.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But there is still only one place you can get true Mezcal, it aint **** without the worm.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It still seems to have some problem with Absinthe having thujone in the US. So it is not exactly the true thing.
per FDA regulations all USA approved absinthe must test thujone free. Thujone to absinthe is like caffeine to coffee. Highly unlikely you will be dancing with the green fairy if you purchased your absinthe state side.
Yepp... the stuff they sell in the states just does not cut it. The stuff I may or may not get on occasion would come from a friend in Canada if I were so inclined. If ya try to sneak some in through customs in an airport I fear some TSA agent would be having a good party at your expense sadly. Unless of course someone would be inclined to get creative with packaging... of course I am just speaking PURELY hypothetical :mf_prop:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yepp... the stuff they sell in the states just does not cut it. The stuff I may or may not get on occasion would come from a friend in Canada if I were so inclined. If ya try to sneak some in through customs in an airport I fear some TSA agent would be having a good party at your expense sadly. Unless of course someone would be inclined to get creative with packaging... of course I am just speaking PURELY hypothetical :mf_prop:
It is just anise flavoured green rum, I swear! :p
Also, I have found an ebook explaining the whole process of making said "anise flavoured green rum". Funny how it also uses an alembic like the one I bought and I am experimenting with.