• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

secure container ("strongox") for house friends?

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all,

I remember that some years ago the houses had a feature where the owner could place stronboxes only accessible to a certain person.

I think I read something that this can be done now by somehow using locked chests. I also experimented with locked chests, and some time ago I managed to open a locked chest without unlocking it. (I think I had to unlock and lock it myself before that, and then I got a message like "you don't need to unlock the container to access it, as you are the owner of it", when I had the key in my backpack. However, I am not able to reproduce that.)

Is there a way to lockdown a chest in a house which can be accessed only by a certain person (friend of the house) without needing to UNLOCK it?

(The point is, I want say 5 friends to have a secure container in my house, but I don't want them to be able to take something out of each other's containers. In the moment of unlocking, a container would potentially be insecure.)

Can anyone help?

A

Azureal

I thought it was possible for a friend of a house to place their own strongbox. Maybe Im getting confused with something else. Hmm. Thinking over the problem I cant see a work around. An "add friend" gump would solve all your problems. Simply place a box and target the user.

G

Gwendar-SP

You make the person a friend of the house. Get a box with a key and a key ring. Secure the box (maybe put their name on it with an engraving tool), put the key on the key ring, have the person lock the key ring down near the box. Only that player and the home owner can use the key so it can be used to lock the box making it secure for them.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Before AoS and customizable housing a co-owner used to be able to say 'I wish to place a strongbox' and they would get a small gold box which held only 25 items. We lost that with AoS.

Gwendar's suggestion of a secure box with a key is the only current workable solution. I wish it were different. I wish there was a way to link a container to a specific person.

I'd go further. Our Siege home is built with bedrooms we 'let out' to people from Europa who want to try Siege before building there. I wish we could set the doors so that only the person we've allocated the room to could get in it.

L

Lord Kynd

i recently moved one of the old ones that i had storred away, now i can only release it but can not move it??

C

Crack Head Bob

I belive you have to turn it to be able to move it.

A

Ashyn

i recently moved one of the old ones that i had storred away, now i can only release it but can not move it??

Yes, Bob is correct. The Co-Owner Strong Boxes (25 count), when turned to face east, often become non-targetable (won't highlight) and cannot be picked up in that position. They have to be turned (with a deco tool) prior to releasing and picked up. They do NOT have to be destroyed to move them!

Also, just a tid bit for those who do not know, all gold metal boxes (both the old 25 count co-owner boxes as well as the 125 count gold metal boxes) will change names depending on the direction they face. Some people try to pass off the standard gold metal box as a "rare" strong box just by turning it. So don't be fooled - the only distinguishable difference in the boxes is the count and weight - the 25 count were the 100-stone, co-owner boxes (5 stone when facing South). The 125 count weigh 1 stone regardless of the direction they face.

The gold metal boxes are a fetish of mine. I have 102 of the 125 count and 4 of the old 25-count co-owner boxes.

Anyhoo... I thought I'd share some info and pictures on the boxes since the topic has come up so people are more aware of where they came from and the little quirks they have - and also so people don't get ripped off thinking a "Strong Box" is an extreme rare - it isn't (although the 25 count co-owner boxes are more difficult to obtain -rarer - and may cost a bit more than the standard gold metal boxes).

Typical "metal box" facing South.

Turned to face East. Note that the 25 count co-owner box no longer highlights. It also now weighs 100 stones instead of 5.

If turned back to face south, they can still read "strong box" but it normally will change upon release or simply within time. I've had them change when I leave the house and return. I've also had some not change back until re-secured. They'r eunpredictable...and I have no idea why.

Here is my personal collection - you'll see I do have an east facing gold strong box/metal box that is facing east and not secure. Again, I have no idea why - none of my others will do that - they all become non-moveable.

Lastly, this is another personal favorite; the "metal chest" similar to those in the bank. These are from days gone by and I'm sure a lot of them were overlooked and/or tossed out when the paragon chests came out in the same color.

Feel free to donate to Ash's gold chest collection. ha ha!

-Ashyn

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for posting that info on the gold metal boxes Ashyn.

-Skylark