• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Screen while dead in EC

Darkside

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
My screen does this when I die doesn’t seem to matter happens on all chars it has been doing this a long time. Anyone else’s do this or know how to resolve it. I have to use the minimap to navigate while dead E80DE2B7-1ABB-4045-BF92-ECE8C968322F.jpeg 6AFD7CE2-C7B7-425D-9E79-AB367D14DB60.jpeg

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
go to options > video/graphics settings > activate hardware death effect (as long as i can remember) and reload the game.

Last edited:

Groo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
open user settings > Graphics and uncheck "Enable Hardware Death Effect"

They really mean it when they say "Hardware Death Effect" :wall:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But why on earth would they have this as a feature....
It's a joke. That feature once indeed meant using hardware accelaration. However, the EC is a piece of stoneage legacy code, using old technologies like DirectDraw.

Here's a nice quote back from 2014 on DirectDraw, I couldn't explain it any better:
DirectDraw was deprecated in DirectX 7 which itself is 14 years old. The API (code contracts between software and hardware) hadn't updated since, Software developers were advised to not use this interface for more than a decade. What you see is gradual abandonment from hardware developers and no effort put in compatibility testing by software developers.
Thus it's easiest to just disable the feature altogether.