• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Screen goes blank

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very odd thing, I will try to explain it the best as I can.

I am playing on the enhanced client.
At the time of the problem, I was not using any custom UI's but the problem presents itself in either area.

I am playing having a great time and then I recall into Ter Mur Royal City.
The screen goes black and says analog power saving mode.
I look down at the computer and it is still on.
But for the life of me I can NOT get the screen to show up.
So I end up having to do a cold reboot.
Then I switch to the classic client to play and get my toon.
But this problem is persistent and consistent.

Some stuff about my system.
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 with a gig of ram. (I know the ram is a little low but so is the economy....)
I shut down most everything else on my system before I play UO. Don't want any scans or other bs bothering me during.
I have a seperate video card on my system an NVIDIA 9600GT with 512 memory.
I play on Full Screen with 1680x1050 resolution

Any help, or at least anyone experiencing similiar situation so I don't feel alone, would be appreciated.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have seen this happen firsthand with my Wife's PC. She was watching me train imbuing and every time I would succeed, she would crash. We filed a bug report about it, as the 2d client does not do the same.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next time it happens, can you Alt-Enter or Alt-tab?

Or hit Windows key + R (Run menu), type: 'cmd' without the quotes and hit enter (for a command prompt), and then hit alt-enter twice (to put the command prompt into and out of full screen mode).

Your computer's probably still running fine, it's just that the client is full screen and not actually outputting anything, since it crashed. Getting something else to take focus back should be enough. It's not a fix to the original problem, but it can make it less tedious.

Edit: In my instructions above, you probably won't see anything. Type blind.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the response...but the computer actually is crashing. I had the volume off on my speakers so I couldn't hear the "stuck recall" sound that was going with the screen going blank. I think it is simply I don't have enough computer for the enhanced client. I am going to try to uninstall and download again after I find some cash for more RAM.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, it crashed.

Weird thing is, it's crashing your PC instead of just the client. When you say consistent, do you mean it happens everytime you reach Ter Mu using the enhanced client?

No such problems with the classic client?

Or do you mean it crashes every 10 mins?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think it's just the program crashing instead of the whole computer. It's just full screen, so all your input and (lack of) output is directed to a non-responsive program. By stuck recall sound, I'm assuming you mean a portion of the recall sound is stuck in a loop.

Try playing out of full-screen mode and see how/if it still crashes. I don't use the enhanced client myself, but I'm assuming it still has the option to play windowed.

U

UOKaiser

analog power saving mode

This is what you get correct. You using a lcd monitor? If so let me know if not let me know anyway I think we can solve your issue.