• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Scammer on Great Lakes!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Beware all Ye who travel Great Lakes for indeed the Scammer is back!..... Not long ago a scammer patrolled the lands claiming he was friend!.... He searches UO Guilds finds your guild and claims to be one of you!.....

Unfortunately for this Foolish scammer he picked the wrong one to try to scam today!.... He choose to try to pass himself off as ME!! Beware indeed for I know thy name Scammer and i will shout it to the four winds!... Though I can not post your name here I will say that do not at all trust anyone who claims to be one of your own....... For he is a scammer.

This particular one has slithered out of the shadow to say he is not only friend but he will tell you there is a bug to add 5% to your crimmy!..... He intends only to steal it..... Though he got nothing of my guildmate as we are wise to his trickery beware all of those claiming to be friend when they are truly a wolf in disguise!

Ye have been warned!

C

Connor_Graham

Just one of several reasons why I won't join a guild.

K

Kratos Aurion

This happened to my friend Night yesterday. Someone pretending to be a person in our guild (on an unguilded char) said he could add mods to the crimmy. Night just asked how and unfortunatly destroyed his own crimmy by falling for a scammers cheap joke at an unsuccessful attempt.

DO NOT PUT YOUR CRIMMY IN A BOX AND THEN AXE THE BOX

Not only is that common sense but come on!

Unfortunatly it doesn't matter if you're guilded or not. The scammer targets people you commonly associate with.

N

Noobish Noob

Had the same sort of scam tried on me in PAC during the Moonglow event. I had only been in my guild for like two weeks. He asks for party while I am killing whisps and strikes up a conversation. He claimed to be an alternate toon of someone in guild and to be able to add an extra 5% to my crimson using the "spool of knowledge". He claimed you get the spool from herding and he had found a way to combine the spool with the crimmy. I simply had to hand himy my crimmy and then cast some chiv spells to drop my stamina for it to work. I paged someone from my guild and he stealthed on over. The guy was good too...he answered every question I asked him..as long as it was general info available on our guild website. I think he had the site open at that time to answer any roster questions. In the end he claimed to be a member who lived right next door to the guildmate who was stealthed with me there. At that point my mate unstealthed and called Bulls**t. The guy then simply logged out on the spot. I had only been playing UO for 3 months so there was a small part of me that was along for the ride since I didn't know any better. In the end I learned one thing over all....no tag no love.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The scam tried on me and a few other guildmates was a guy said he was so and so in guild, with a new computer or icq number or something and he had to re-add you, and it didn't work on me but they basically get your icq number, send you a file and it drops all your stuff to the ground. He partied me, I said hi and asked him what guildmate of mine he was, he said "what, why'd you party me? don't do it again" then left party. Loser.

Update: He partied me again on an alt char, said "hey, guess who?" I said my main's name, he said yeah, then I told him he got owned, that's my char.

K

Kratos Aurion

Well look at the facts. In my entire UO history, I've only encountered 1 object that was able to be bugged into increasing the stats. That object was the Quiver of Infiniti. It didn't add mods, it only increased its previous mod for its weight limit.

Without a logical hack, I do not believe there is any form of game mechanic you can exploit into adding a new property to an item. I'm not saying its not possible but these scams have been around for as long as the game has.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone comes to you trying to help you with something, only if you hand him the item then for sure he is going to steal it... anyone that really wants to help would just give you the "spool" and let you combine it yourself.

Dont trust anyone. I have had a guy hang out with me for two days ... 8 hours a day, upping skills, (had same look as a buddy of mine) same template etc... then scammed me out of 20M he wanted to borrow, and a Hat of Magi, he wanted to "try on" ... I trust people sometimes dont get me wrong, I guess in hopes there is still honor in this game, but of course I have been let down many times, but sometimes you get an honest person which is a "breath of freash air" ... but these honest players are very few and far inbetween... sucks but it's the way of the game now. Scamming is some people's playstyle... yeah it was a lesson to be learned .. a 50M lesson (hat was worth more then) .. but it's ok. I have lost many things in the past due to "trusting" people...

I was more amazed on how much time he put into the scam... 16+ hours? LOL... I was not really that mad for being "dumb" ... was more amazed at how long he put into the scam, and how much reasearch he did.

I later found him in fel ... he attacked and I killed him without a hat on at all ... he logged out on the spot out of frustration I guess, and xsharded the next day. (to atlantic over two years ago) I guess more people to scam there then on Baja :D ...

Lesson, dont let people barrow stuff unless you are holding something of there's of equal value.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although I applaud attempts to give warning and wish nothing but illness to someone who would pull this on people, there is a tiny, pompously righteous corner of my brain squeaking "suitable punishment for knowingly attempting to exploit a bug ... even one that doesn't exist"

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We added this rule to protect members in our guild. If player comes up and claims to be in our guild and he is so and so. the member is to tell him get on that character, and get into TS or Vent. If he trys to make up some excuse why he cant. the member is to tell him til he can do what is asked then he gets nothing.

T

Tazar

Beware all Ye who travel Great Lakes for indeed the Scammer is back!..... Not long ago a scammer patrolled the lands claiming he was friend!.... He searches UO Guilds finds your guild and claims to be one of you!.....

Unfortunately for this Foolish scammer he picked the wrong one to try to scam today!.... He choose to try to pass himself off as ME!! Beware indeed for I know thy name Scammer and i will shout it to the four winds!... Though I can not post your name here I will say that do not at all trust anyone who claims to be one of your own....... For he is a scammer.

This particular one has slithered out of the shadow to say he is not only friend but he will tell you there is a bug to add 5% to your crimmy!..... He intends only to steal it..... Though he got nothing of my guildmate as we are wise to his trickery beware all of those claiming to be friend when they are truly a wolf in disguise!

Ye have been warned!
This sounds overly familiar and is probably the same one we have seen on Atlantic...

G

GL_Seller

HOW THE **** ARE PEOPLE SO DAMN STUPID SERIOUSLY. IF you or your friend fell for this then i think being scammed is the least of your worry. The only reason scammers exist is because of ignorant people.

OMG im in your guild let me see your ****. Unbelievable that this had to be posted on stratics to warn people.

Ender76

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guy was on Atlantic trying to pull the same scam over the weekend. I believe it was "your crimson will have dbl the stats after you chop the box." i just messed around with him for a while; got him to give me like 5 boxes and three axes.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guildmate was certainly NOT fooled especially because he knew that was my alt character... We actually thought the guy was a complete twit and I hopped on my character he was claiming to be and showed up right there.. NOT only did I do that but I followed the git to Brittain where I spammed all over about him being a scammer and to NOT give him anything.... Ran up called him a scammer to his face.... and then went to every hang out I could and raised the alarm for folk to pass word and NOT allow this fool to pass one over on any guildies... so that we can make sure that NO one falls for the scam and the loser will eventually take the hint...

It's my opinion that anyone who has to sink to such a low as to try to scam things off other players like that lacks the skill to actually play the game and should save themselves the 12.99 and quit...

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As soon as I recall into WWB he sends me an invitation to party I ignore it, he leaves comes back with a friend who trys to get me to party with him I just sit there and laugh

N

NaKasha Saran

Although I applaud attempts to give warning and wish nothing but illness to someone who would pull this on people, there is a tiny, pompously righteous corner of my brain squeaking "suitable punishment for knowingly attempting to exploit a bug ... even one that doesn't exist"
I was just thinking the same thing Lord Maplestone! Anyone who intentionally tries to attempt a possible bug deserves whatever bad things happen to the item(s) he attempted to modify by the use of whatever bug...

do people never learn?

K

Kratos Aurion

HOW THE **** ARE PEOPLE SO DAMN STUPID SERIOUSLY. IF you or your friend fell for this then i think being scammed is the least of your worry. The only reason scammers exist is because of ignorant people.

OMG im in your guild let me see your ****. Unbelievable that this had to be posted on stratics to warn people.
way to bring intellegence into the conversation. Actually I found out the crimson dropped to the ground. It's not something I would have personally done but considering there are people out there that don't know/understand game mechanics. If you only knew.

V

Vyrquenox

Ye have been warned!
LOL. I have a better one than that for you. I am in a guild on a few of my characters that is family only (as in immediate family in RL). Someone saw our respective guild tags, trailed me about apparently, and then later went up to my dear mother saying he was me and had made a new character. Of course he acted nothing like me and she told him to buzz off. Well, the fact that I don't replace 'you' with 'U' or type in abbreviated sentances probably helped. Or that I am her son and wouldn't refer to her as a guildy. Same basic scam. Trying to get some free stuff or access to something.

C

Connor_Graham

Lol, this sounds like: I won't go downtown no more, because there my wallet could be stolen.
If people would only use their common sense...
Using common sense doesn't help much when you get killed and dry looted right after you get that Crimson drop, or something similar, which is just yet ANOTHER reason.....

V

Vyrquenox

We added this rule to protect members in our guild. If player comes up and claims to be in our guild and he is so and so. the member is to tell him get on that character, and get into TS or Vent. If he trys to make up some excuse why he cant. the member is to tell him til he can do what is asked then he gets nothing.
well if you really know your guildies, its not that hard anyway.

Wolverine: hey, hey, its me!
Cyclops: How do we know!?
Wolverine: You're a d**k.
Cyclops: Fair enough.

V

Vex

Using common sense doesn't help much when you get killed and dry looted right after you get that Crimson drop, or something similar, which is just yet ANOTHER reason.....
Please, someone tell me how you get "dry looted" in TRAM....

Yes, another REASON for you to stay in TRAM....

Boss is dead, Crimmy drops. OMFG you are in such a dangerous place at that point!

GMAFB

R

Revenant2

Okay, look.

This isn't about victims being stupid. Players of many different ages and newness levels come here. It doesn't matter if as a player I'm personally unscammable because I'm too suspicious, or smart, or experienced. The playerbase is expected to be broad in its characteristics.

The ****tyest thing i see about this situation is that the EA guidelines for GMs don't have them tracking down these malicious scammer losers and banning them by credit card number, and IP, and name, and every other way imaginable.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
well if you really know your guildies, its not that hard anyway.

Wolverine: hey, hey, its me!
Cyclops: How do we know!?
Wolverine: You're a d**k.
Cyclops: Fair enough.
We started that rule to protect the new guildmates who really don't know all the guildmates in the guild.
Plus its a good way to get the scammer to leave you alone.

L

Lady Narsil

As I was sitting here reading all this, that is just want I was thinking. Anyone that would except this kind of help gets what they get. I don't even feel bad for people that have lost items due to this type of scam. If you are willing to cheat and use a bug to get ahead and lose you item in the process then you have gotten just what you had coming.