• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

scam o no?

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If someone put on a vendor many items all at same price (example: 5.000.000) and you buy all, then you check the log and you see that the price of one you buy is 50.000.000 is a scam or no?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It’s possible someone could deliberately price something like that hoping to catch someone not paying attention… I would think it’s more likely just a typo when they were stocking their wares.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok, but you cant say "sorry" and recall away when i'm asking to refund me, no?
Can be considered a scam or no?

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
GM Noctua come and i talk with him. A very helpful and nice person.
He said that in the middle of a box of apples there are always some rotten ones!
Next time i'll pay attenction :)

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
In this case typo is the more-likely explanation. I've seen this work in reverse (someone, clearly by accident, under-prices an item) as well. Also this isn't really a good scam in terms of making money. It relies on a lot of coincidence and would be spotted in vendor search.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it has happened to all of us when your buying something real fast and and a lot of them.

funny thing is if you saw a 40mil item for 40gp would you return it to the owner when he has 20 of them on vendor? all the others at 40mil?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think it has happened to all of us when your buying something real fast and and a lot of them.

funny thing is if you saw a 40mil item for 40gp would you return it to the owner when he has 20 of them on vendor? all the others at 40mil?
Somebody bought something that I did not put a 0 on. They put it in my mailbox with a book that said it was underpriced.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I have.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Depends
Shopping on my home shard, yes I'd make the attempt.
Shopping on Atlantic, well that's their bad luck, unless they were actually present (in which case I'd give it to them and say why - or tell them if I noticed it but didn't buy it).

On my shard we give away a lot of stuff that people have 6-7 digit prices for on Atlantic (why the stuff is even on a vendor there is beyond me).

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
This happened before with me, and when I told the owner I would pay him the intended price , he said no and to keep it for it was his mistake .

I felt bad for him and felt bad again for getting rejected to pay up . So I never went back to his shop ever again.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not every price with extra zeroes is a scam, but it's been an old scam since UO first had player vendors. It especially worked on stacks of reagents that someone could well assume were all priced the same.

Somebody bought something that I did not put a 0 on. They put it in my mailbox with a book that said it was underpriced.
An honest person. I was selling a number of items to someone and needed to switch chars for the rest. The guy was trusting enough to give me full payment! But I said it's ok, he can give me partial for each trade.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i can do you one better, years ago i was telling 60k wood in commodity deeds - in person - not on a vendor.
a fella was just returning and needed some wood to work up his carpentry.
so we agreed on a price and we met up, i handed him a deed and he paid and that was that.

then he said to me
"i think you gave me the wrong kinda wood"
he handed it back to me, it was 60k deed of FROSTWOOD!

i have him back 4x 60k deeds of wood for being a nice guy.

god i miss static resource spots.... i miss my house that had a frostwood spot right beside it.

flip side of the coin, i was buying a couple Ethy's and i went to a vendor to puck up a ethy llama that came up on vendor search.
bought it, it was a reward statue not a ethy.
guy had put Ethereal in the item description. my bad for not looking that closely.
i have that llama at my ATL house to remind me to take my time and LOOK.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Caveat emptor! I honestly can't believe you wasted a GM's time with this.
Sapiens, ut loquatur, multo prius consideret! I didn't really waste my time because the GM arrived right away ;)
It bothered me that the seller said "sorry" and then recalled... not for the money, dont worry

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not every price with extra zeroes is a scam, but it's been an old scam since UO first had player vendors. It especially worked on stacks of reagents that someone could well assume were all priced the same.

An honest person. I was selling a number of items to someone and needed to switch chars for the rest. The guy was trusting enough to give me full payment! But I said it's ok, he can give me partial for each trade.
back in the old day of checks. I don't know how many times I lost out on a few mil during trades. your trading 100mil wroth of checks you needed to check them don't know how many times I would find a 100k check in there. Am sure I never caught them all.

was that you with the wildfire drops. I bought 100 off someone and did not notice there was only 50 then a few mins later trade window opened and the other 50 where there. paid all the gold up front and did not notice the item and stone in the window

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sapiens, ut loquatur, multo prius consideret! I didn't really waste my time because the GM arrived right away ;)
It bothered me that the seller said "sorry" and then recalled... not for the money, dont worry
LOL I didn't say you wasted YOUR time, I said you wasted the GM's time.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
when i first started uo, i did some mistakes over the years with pricing. some too much/some too cheap lol. i hardly make any mistakes now because of atl/Q that brings up last price when filling venders, and comas were added. i would give money back if i knew was a real mistake. of coarse no one has given my money back lol.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If someone put on a vendor many items all at same price (example: 5.000.000) and you buy all, then you check the log and you see that the price of one you buy is 50.000.000 is a scam or no?
No it is not a scam, it is you being lazy and not looking over the price that pops up when you mouse over the item. UO has always been a buyer beware game, know what you are buying, know what the item is worth and look at the asking price when buying. Can't believe you wasted a GMs time over this, no wounder people wait forever to get a GM when they are responding to stuff like this. Hard to believe an adult did this.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This falls into the category of eating poisoned fish steaks left on the ground around WBB circa 1997.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
No it is not a scam, it is you being lazy and not looking over the price that pops up when you mouse over the item. UO has always been a buyer beware game, know what you are buying, know what the item is worth and look at the asking price when buying. Can't believe you wasted a GMs time over this, no wounder people wait forever to get a GM when they are responding to stuff like this. Hard to believe an adult did this.
It's fine and a normal part of the learning curve in the heat of the moment. A lot of us have all done the same when we were first figuring things out.

Now they know. Maybe instead of giving them the bash, a hey if something comes up and you have a question drop me a message.

We want to build community not tell people their stupid and have them go away.

*takes a few notes and drops them inside the back of the book*

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's fine and a normal part of the learning curve in the heat of the moment. A lot of us have all done the same when we were first figuring things out.

Now they know. Maybe instead of giving them the bash, a hey if something comes up and you have a question drop me a message.

@MaryForUo has been playing long enough so I considered the source, now if some one had asked a question or said hay I did something stupid then they would have gotten a much different answer.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL I didn't say you wasted YOUR time, I said you wasted the GM's time.
Fantastic
dont worry about the GM's time, they are there to help pp and give support, which you are not doing with your answers, like almost all of you here!
Use your energy for other things that you definitely need

I'm just asking and i just say "Next time i'll pay attenction :) "
All your comments show your level of maturity and education.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

MAN! I sure do spend a lot of time renting "space in your head"! ROFL

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Fantastic
dont worry about the GM's time, they are there to help pp and give support, which you are not doing with your answers, like almost all of you here!

I'm not sure what the problem is. You said ""Next time i'll pay attention" You posted, and learned the lesson. Congrats!

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no such thing as "wasting a GMs time". This is a paid service and included as part of that service is in-game support. Not everyone innately knows what a GM can or can't help with.

Side story: Best scammer I ever met was in 2000 when I started; guy was standing at the docks of Serpent's Hold telling everyone who docked there that he was part of the guard and that they needed to pay a docking fee... and everyone lined up to pay.

Come to think of it... was that you @Stinky Pete ?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fantastic

And you have been playing UO for how log? I could see someone new to the game having this happen but listening to you spout all your knowledge about UO and esp. all your pissing and moaning that this happened to you is like karma biting you in the butt. What did you expect a GM to do pat you on the head and tell you to pay more attention to what you are doing.

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure what the problem is. You said ""Next time i'll pay attention" You posted, and learned the lesson. Congrats!
trolls, I see trolls everywhere!
I'm not sure what is "your problem", but sure you have a serious one!
I've written what happened to me and If i "wasted a GM's time" it is not something that concerns you, so your problem is wider and more serious. Have you tried to get help?
I understand that it has been a difficult time for everyone, especially for you, but I still don't understand all your pissing and complaining about what I wrote.

And you have been playing UO for how log? I could see someone new to the game having this happen but listening to you spout all your knowledge about UO and esp. all your pissing and moaning that this happened to you is like karma biting you in the butt. What did you expect a GM to do pat you on the head and tell you to pay more attention to what you are doing.
nothing to say, just: dont feed the frodo!

MaryForUo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is no such thing as "wasting a GMs time". This is a paid service and included as part of that service is in-game support. Not everyone innately knows what a GM can or can't help with.

Side story: Best scammer I ever met was in 2000 when I started; guy was standing at the docks of Serpent's Hold telling everyone who docked there that he was part of the guard and that they needed to pay a docking fee... and everyone lined up to pay.

Come to think of it... was that you @Stinky Pete ?
it couldn't have been written better than that!
read it 1000 times or print it and put it on your monitor

Now I'm going to buy some popcorn and I sit down LOL
nhaaaaa I'm just wasting time :facepalm: chasing trolls ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whether it's a scam ( a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation ) depends on the intent of the vendor owner. If he did it purposefully to trick a buyer, it's a scam. If he did it by mistake, I'd call it simply a mistake.

Also I don't understand why lots of posters are upset about the OP calling a GM. That's what customer support is for and I guess you guys have never worked in customer support if you already find this outrages. At least she didn't bugger the producer like so many other entitled UO players do whenever they need a rare colored.

Biggest mistake was bringing the case as troll-food over here after the GM already gave an answer ;)

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whether it's a scam ( a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation ) depends on the intent of the vendor owner. If he did it purposefully to trick a seller, it's a scam. If he did it by mistake, I'd call it simply a mistake.

Also I don't understand why lots of posters are upset about the OP calling a GM. That's what customer support is for and I guess you guys have never worked in customer support if you already find this outrages. At least she didn't bugger the producer like so many other entitled UO players do whenever they need a rare colored.

Biggest mistake was bringing the case as troll-food over here after the GM already gave an answer ;)
No GM Support is there to fix real problems not so BS like this. OP was looking for sympathy and she got what she deserved and is trying to blame some one else.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The who crowd? The GM apparantly found this case worth handling. Seems you don't understand their job very well but keep trolling.
LOL What exactly did he handle??? It sounds like he held her hand, patted her on the head, gave her a cookie, and told her "shame on that bad vendor!". While he COULD have been, oh, I don't know, handling a REAL problem.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL What exactly did he handle??? It sounds like he held her hand, patted her on the head, gave her a cookie, and told her "shame on that bad vendor!". While he COULD have been, oh, I don't know, handling a REAL problem.
Maybe we should get social workers and defund the GMs. ;)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't get it. What did the OP think the GM was going to do. Everyone knows that they don't replace things, so getting the gold back was never an option. Furthermore this "scam" is perfectly legal. It does not exploit any bug or game mechanic, only player stupidity. Any and all blame should be placed on the buyer not the seller. The game is full of people who are there to either make the world a better place or destroy it. Neither play style is wrong. Deal with it.

I'm sure that somewhere out there there is an ultra Trammel free shard that would be much more to the OP's liking. I can imagine it now, payments are made in hugs instead of gold and to even emote any form of discontent with another player is met with a permanent ban. Someone please find this and send a link to the OP so they can finally be happy.