• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Savage Empire had guns.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So many scream for places to be gun-free yet never manage to think of the fact that they are creating safe zones for killers who know there will be nobody there armed to stop them. So stupid. :(
To bring it back to UO... ;)

Imagine you are a pure mage with no mage wep... you are in the courtyard at Blackthorns Castle... and a Bally suddenly appears in front of you.. yepp, that's a mage free zone... Just sayin'

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back on Topic:

We have Cannons, Explosion Potions, and Mechanical Pets. UO already 3/4th the way to Victorian Steam Punk. Finish the equation and add primitive firearms. Primitive firearms also have a chance to backfire and a slow firing rate.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If we're going to debate gun rights, the related politics, and the recent terror attack - thread will likely end up being moved to Off Topic. I suggest those posting on the topic consider that this only happened yesterday and it's a bit soon to be playing the political blame game.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Now, regarding guns in UO, we had muskets in Ultima 7, so it would be fine to see them introduced to UO as well.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, regarding guns in UO, we had muskets in Ultima 7, so it would be fine to see them introduced to UO as well.
Savage Empire predates U7 by two years, so yeah, lots of guns in Ultima Prime.

Hell, Ultima 1 had lasers. I'm not even asking for lasers!

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Savage Empire predates U7 by two years, so yeah, lots of guns in Ultima Prime.

Hell, Ultima 1 had lasers. I'm not even asking for lasers!
What weapon skill would a gun belong to? Seems like you'd need to introduce new weapons, skills, and item properties to make guns even remotely feasible.

95% of the weapons in UO are already useless, hard for me to see why we should introduce more (besides caring about how your paperdoll looks).

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What weapon skill would a gun belong to? Seems like you'd need to introduce new weapons, skills, and item properties to make guns even remotely feasible.

95% of the weapons in UO are already useless, hard for me to see why we should introduce more (besides caring about how your paperdoll looks).
Change Archery to Ranged Weapons, problem solved.

It makes as much sense as an axe, a katana, and a broadsword all using one skill.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There have been firearms in Ultima since False Prophet, and particle weapons in I-III.

No need to add a new skill, just turn Archery/Throwing in to Ranged and call it a day. Create flintlocks and a blunderbuss, analogous to bows and crossbows, same mods. I suggested all this the last time this topic came up.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Change Archery to Ranged Weapons, problem solved.

It makes as much sense as an axe, a katana, and a broadsword all using one skill.
What about throwing? Also "ranged weapons" is an awfully vague title. Why don't we just throw out all the wep skills and simply have a skill called "weapons"?

Again, this seems to be a lot of effort just so you can change the way your character looks/rp's.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The overwhelming majority of this thread has veered well off the rails of UO discussion and most of it has been moved to a new thread here in Off Topic. Please keep UHall threads primarily about UO. Thank you.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
As for guns in UO: I think there are far better expenditures of the dev team's time than creating another new ranged skill or repurposing an existing one (which would require new paperdoll and animation art for two clients) just so that your character can carry a blunderbuss instead of a crossbow or boomerang.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for guns in UO: I think there are far better expenditures of the dev team's time than creating another new ranged skill or repurposing an existing one (which would require new paperdoll and animation art for two clients) just so that your character can carry a blunderbuss instead of a crossbow or boomerang.
"There's better ways to use dev resources" is an argument anyone can use against anything they don't personally care about, and would be a perfectly valid, if pointless, rebuttal to literally any request.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
"There's better ways to use dev resources" is an argument anyone can use against anything they don't personally care about, and would be a perfectly valid, if pointless, rebuttal to literally any request.
Let's put it this way then:

What advantage would adding this skill or repurposing an existing one bring to gameplay?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I say just make them UBW... I mean who in the heck needs skill when you are talking about a Blunderbuss :confused:

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I say just make them UBW... I mean who in the heck needs skill when you are talking about a Blunderbuss :confused:
True, this is why when you enlist in the army they hand you an M16 and say "Good luck out there, you'll be fine," and push you out the door to the battlefield, there's absolutely nothing to learn about using a rifle in a tense situation. No muscle memory to build up to help you while reloading under pressure, no learning exactly where to shoulder the stock to get proper aim and stabilization, it's just pick it up and you're an instant sniper.

Let's put it this way then:

What advantage would adding this skill or repurposing an existing one bring to gameplay?
It would allow for another type of ranged combat, make use of already existing items which we already have in-game for use in cannons, could be combined with other fighting styles depending on how they handle reloading. It would add enjoyable depth to combat.

What did adding in boomerangs bring us exactly?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
True, this is why when you enlist in the army they hand you an M16 and say "Good luck out there, you'll be fine," and push you out the door to the battlefield, there's absolutely nothing to learn about using a rifle in a tense situation. No muscle memory to build up to help you while reloading under pressure, no learning exactly where to shoulder the stock to get proper aim and stabilization, it's just pick it up and you're an instant sniper.
Errrr... Ummmm... I said BLUNDERBUSS.. not rifle.. if you have ever shot a Blunderbuss you would know quick there is no skill aside from loading the thing.. Point in the general vicinity of the area you wanna hit and pull trigger.. no skill needed there.

Enziet

Journeyman
heh rather than using a skill, just make it a random item you can craft with tinkering. You need to actually double click on the gun to load a bearing, then double click again once it's loaded to fire it. But you must have explosion potions as well to load.

So double click, target say bola ball, will only load if you have explosion potion on you, consumes the explosion pot and bola ball thus the gun is loaded. Then double click again to aim / fire the gun. No skill required and it then becomes a specialty item that takes time to load and fire. Choose the damage accordingly of course, so it's not some how abused, like a cool down timer because after firing the gun it's hot and cannot be loaded again right away.

<shrugs> it's an idea at least that required no extra animation work unless you want to make it equip-able on the paperdoll.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Errrr... Ummmm... I said BLUNDERBUSS.. not rifle.. if you have ever shot a Blunderbuss you would know quick there is no skill aside from loading the thing.. Point in the general vicinity of the area you wanna hit and pull trigger.. no skill needed there.
So you got as far as me saying the word rifle and stopped, huh?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
So you got as far as me saying the word rifle and stopped, huh?
Nah... I got to this part:

No muscle memory to build up to help you while reloading under pressure, no learning exactly where to shoulder the stock to get proper aim and stabilization, it's just pick it up and you're an instant sniper.
and it was rather obvious you either 1 - you did not read fully to where I said Blunderbuss.. or 2- that you have never actually shot a Blunderbuss... or both..

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The vast majority of UO players and the current devs think of UO as only medieval fantasy and desire for the game to be that mold. But Ultima Prime has always been more than that. Like others have said, Ultima prime had guns, muskets, hunting rifles [brought to Britannia by Lord British from Earth]. Ultima prime also had laser weapons and lightsabers. time travel, travel between planets [Earth, Pagan, Mars Alternate history, Eodon], Hell even Ultima 2 had all the planets in the solar system. Travel between planes of existence [ The ethereal void, elemental planes in pagan, etc]

I think by molding UO to only medieval fantasy has limited the ideas and places the game can and should go.

I still want a Pagan expansion =[

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would allow for another type of ranged combat, make use of already existing items which we already have in-game for use in cannons, could be combined with other fighting styles depending on how they handle reloading. It would add enjoyable depth to combat.

What did adding in boomerangs bring us exactly?
That's one way of putting it. I would rather phrase it as, it would add increased complexity in terms of item properties and weapon diversity. Again, 95% of the weapons in UO are already worthless, why should we add more weapons that likely will never get used?

In all honesty, if a new weapon skill was introduced, they'd introduce 4 or 5 new weapons for that class, of those weapons 1 or 2 would be stacked with useful specials (dismount, mortal, para, AI), that weapon and weapon skill would then be overpowered for roughly 6 months - 1 year and then get nerfed. We'd then restart the cycle.

Unless they can add a new weapon skill in conjunction with a new spell casting skill, I'd rather not.

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
I would like magic wands (Ultima IV -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows). This is not the same as the magic wands we have now that don't act like ranged weapons.
I would like magic bows (Ultima IV -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows).
I would like magic axes (Ultima IV -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows).
I would like boomerangs (Ultima VI -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows, and is not restricted to gargoyles).
I would like magic boomerangs (Ultima VII -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows, is not restricted to gargoyles, and can be thrown through a wall).

If you're looking for a theme here, it's "does not use up ammo" and "can be used by someone who isn't a gargoyle."

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OOC:
I would like magic wands (Ultima IV -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows). This is not the same as the magic wands we have now that don't act like ranged weapons.
I would like magic bows (Ultima IV -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows).
I would like magic axes (Ultima IV -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows).
I would like boomerangs (Ultima VI -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows, and is not restricted to gargoyles).
I would like magic boomerangs (Ultima VII -- a ranged weapon that does not use up arrows, is not restricted to gargoyles, and can be thrown through a wall).

If you're looking for a theme here, it's "does not use up ammo" and "can be used by someone who isn't a gargoyle."
Should just have magic ammo mod for bows.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Implementing guns has no added value to the game.

It will not bring players, increase revenue, or reopen accounts.

This said there is little chance of implementing this without affecting game balance.

Going to pass on this idea.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I don't think that would have a ton of effect on gameplay. :/
Except allowing dexxers to use any weapon they want (ranged or non ranged) and essentially turning the pvp scene into Dexxers Online (even more so than it already is).

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just because there were some guns in an old Ultima title doesn't mean we need them in Ultima Online.

I'm of the belief UO should stay as close as possible to Medieval themes. Eodon Valley already gets away from that a bit much for my liking, but adding guns would just be silly.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Except allowing dexxers to use any weapon they want (ranged or non ranged) and essentially turning the pvp scene into Dexxers Online (even more so than it already is).
Well ranged and non ranged do play different, so they could be separate, as for melee pvp weapons, I feel like there are only a few weapons that get used ever anyway. Since all damage was normalized, it's become all about the specials.