• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sanity check on Giant Beetle plan

XeneX

Adventurer
I planned out a giant beetle but thought I'd run it by all you experts for a sanity check and feedback on my plan.

Saved Planner | uo-cah.com

Note that the saved planner isn't saving my choice of Poison Breath (AOE ability) so it shows 100 points remaining. When I select Poison Breath it indicates I can only have 4 abilities if it didn't start with an innate magic (it did not), and if the magic is the last addition.

I've never quite been clear on how poisoning works. Feels like I would need some special ability or magic to actual get my pet to use it, otherwise is it wasted points? Would I be better of with just RC and AI? Any other advice/suggestions from folks who have played more with these?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can get a special move a special abilty and thats all on a Giant Beetle. Cant add the Area after.

You would need to take it to TC to see what order to put on the Area ability and one other special. Then you would not be able to choose RC or AI.

Im not sure if a Fire Beetle can get what you want either but they can get an area also.

XeneX

Adventurer
OK, so RC and AI are going to be it, that pretty much answers everything I was curious on then! Thanks for saving me the time of a char copy and training on TC :)

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Note that the saved planner isn't saving my choice of Poison Breath (AOE ability) so it shows 100 points remaining. When I select Poison Breath it indicates I can only have 4 abilities if it didn't start with an innate magic (it did not), and if the magic is the last addition.
So this becomes a little more confusing with Poisoning. Normally yes, you could have 4 abilities if you add Magical last (in this case a fire beetle could have AI/RC/Goo/Poisoning if you really wanted). However, since Poison Breath requires the Poisoning magical (or a pet with part poison damage) before it appears in the training menu, you have to apply Poisoning first, which hits your 3-ability limit before you can add Poison Breath.

If you really wanted Poison Breath, you would be looking at these options:

RC, Poisoning, PB

or

AI, Poisoning, PB

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This bug has AI/RC/Poison Great Ape takes a while with a Cu and EVs so they really do not need more mana than start. They make great pets.

upload_2019-4-7_18-39-35.png

The Cu kinda blends in and makes it look like I have a hog nose beetle.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well... add rc, then poison, the PB,

Then see about switching the magic. Some pets allow you to switch to peicing and the like. Might be able to get AI and another skill with that. just a thought.

Take it to test and try it there.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It’s been a while since I built a beetle, but if my memory is right once you add rune corruption the only magic available is poisoning.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't tried a blue bug yet.
But i would prioritize wrestling, tact,ana since it would be you're main source of damage. Cost wise i would go for 120 Wrestling and 115's in the rest.
I would properly divide the remaining resist point between cold and poison, or put 80 in cold.
Imho raising resisting spell to 120 is just a waste of gold for pvm.On most of my pets i don't even bother to scroll medi or focus very high.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if your beetle has GM poison why spend points on poison resist.... seems redundant.
for every 20 skill points in poison, you resist one level of poison. At GM poison it will resist up lvl 5 poison without the aid of a single bandage.
I routinely spawn with my trained fire beetle. For rats I dont even apply a bandage on my pet from start to Baracoon's emergence....
Silver serps don't bother him at all. oh and my beetle has something silly like 25 poison resist showing on his resists tab.

Anyway that is my experience.... food for thought....carry on

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
if your beetle has GM poison why spend points on poison resist.... seems redundant.
for every 20 skill points in poison, you resist one level of poison. At GM poison it will resist up lvl 5 poison without the aid of a single bandage.
I routinely spawn with my trained fire beetle. For rats I dont even apply a bandage on my pet from start to Baracoon's emergence....
Silver serps don't bother him at all. oh and my beetle has something silly like 25 poison resist showing on his resists tab.

VERY interesting... I didn't actually know that but will certainly keep that in mind for any other pets I build with poisoning! Thanks!

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran

Poisoning skill does not prevent the poison damage type (i.e. enemies with poison damage in their melee damage split). In regards to Beetles specifically -- they have so many points already, where are you trying to save points by not increasing poison resist? All my beetles have 800+ Hit Points with 365 total resists already.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Khyro, I misspoke... it has 45
80/80/80/45/80
I find you other point interesting though.