• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sandstone Castle/Keep/18x18 Series by Lex Anteris (P107 Contest)

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Update: 11/04/2019
Publish 107 Sandstone Keep (Entry #18 in Round2)

By request, the Sandstone Keep is resubmitted for the Publish 107 Custom Keep Contest with improvements as suggested by players.

Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub107 - Exterior.jpg.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub107 - 1st Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub107 - 2nd Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub107 - 3rd Floor.jpg

Feature updates for P107 contest:
  • Stairs turned to face inward simplifying second floor access.
  • Stairs moved one tile north allowing additional space for pets accessing 2nd floor.
  • Third floor teleporters moved to tower southeast corners to enable additional interior decorating options.
  • Roof tileset switched to brick to enhance visual contrast.
  • Previous designs plus the castle and 18x18 versions can be viewed below.
Please vote, as only three entries will be added to the housing tool from the P107 Custom Keep contest.
Thank you all for the continued interest in the Sandstone Keep design.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: 02/09/19
Publish 104 Sandstone Castle (Entry #17 in Round2).

This review covers the Sandstone Castle/Keep series by Lex Anteris for Publishes 104/103/101 custom design contests. A thank you to everyone who took the time to introduce themselves and chat at the Britain commons. I promised more than a few in-game to do a write-up on Stratics detailing the current design and previous entries.

Publish 104 (Entry #18 in Round1) Sandstone Castle by Lex Anteris
Castle-only contest. This is the completed version of the castle which was planned for the Publish 101 contest. Walls and pathways align as perfectly as possible. Added remaining domes, preserving roof space for expansion.

Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub104 - Exterior.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub104 - 1st Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub104 - 2nd Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Castle Pub104 - 3rd Floor.jpg

The original concept is to improve on the structure of existing keeps and castles, and replace the granite stone tile set with a combination of sandstone augmented with dark wood for contrast. Experimented previously with wood walls and sliding doors in small format custom designs, and wanted to merge these ideas with sandstone in a large format.

Castle/Keep Design Points. Improvements with a custom plan.

In-the-round: My solution expands the number of entry points so a player approaching from the west or east would not be limited to a single main entrance at the center of the south side. This is also a benefit when the plot is located in an area with obstructions nearby reducing visibility to certain areas. The east doors are an additional exit vector, and the first floor doors create the ability to talk, trade, or fight when on the west or north sides.

Common/private rooms, gallery space, and roof expansion: My design includes large common spaces on the first and second floor with open access. These spaces can be customized with additional wall pieces, or used as-is. (Indoor garden is a recurring suggestion.)

The secondary spaces are treated as anterooms, which allow for gallery, lounge, or multipurpose use. Private rooms are included on the third floor away from common areas. And the roof contains an open area with access for further customization or more gallery space. The remaining roofs are a visual approximation for domes, completing the exterior motif.

Unobstructed pathways: My plan limits the use of staircases to maximize the available floor space and maintain an open floor plan.

The stairs at the entrance are aligned for easy north/south access to the second floor common space. The third floor private rooms are accessed via teleporters located at the corresponding corners of the second floor anterooms. Teleporter security access levels can be adjusted by owner as desired. Use of doors is limited to exterior elements, ensuring unimpeded movement through interior spaces.

Vendor access: Over sixty tiles are available for exterior vendors along the first floor south and east edges. Anterooms can be utilized for internal vendor placement around castle edges. The roof alone can house max vendors if not used for custom expansion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Sandstone Series Custom Castle/Keep Contest Entries by Lex Anteris.

Publish 101 Sandstone Keep (Entry #35 in Round1)
Option to submit either a castle or keep entry for this contest. Original design planned was for a castle. Due to TC1 client crashing issues, the castle was not completed, and the keep was submitted instead.

Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub103 - Exterior.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub103 - 1st Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub103 - 2nd Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub103 - 3rd Floor.jpg

Publish 103 Sandstone Keep (Entry #21 in Round1)
Keep-only contest. Updated second floor stair access and third floor teleporter placements from Publish 101 entry.

Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub101 - Exterior.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub101 - 1st Floor.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone Keep Pub101 - 2nd Floor.jpg

Thank you for your support and continuing interest, please vote.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really wanted your keep for my tailor shop and I tried to get folks to vote for it but it didn't win. I love your walls and I have made 5 houses in this style. I did tell new owners that I copied it from a test contest keep. 2 didn't change the style, the other 3 did. How do you feel about me using your house design? I really hope its ok, someone told me in game it was ok to copy styles. If your not going to enter it again, could I ? with some changes?

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
very nice design. the only reason I wouldn't do this design is because of the need for garden beds garden sheds and some other things. great job

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Made it to Round2! Thank you to everyone voting Round1. Be sure to view it at night with a human or gargoyle when the windows are lit up.
Thanks to a guildmate who pointed out the design can be scaled to a degree. On that thought, here is an 18x18 version for anyone interested. (Base dimensions are 18x18, test-built on a castle plot.)
Lex Anteris Sandstone 18x18 - 1.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone 18x18 - 2.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone 18x18 - 3a.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone 18x18 - 3b.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone 18x18 - 4a.jpg Lex Anteris Sandstone 18x18 - 4b.jpg

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Original post updated to include current entry for the Publish 107 Custom Keep Contest.
Thank you for the continued interest, please vote.