• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire with shield

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I was thinking ... with the shield there is less chance of parrying than the shield with bushido, but we have more gear.

does anyone have a sampire with a shield?

Inviato dal mio SM-A505FN utilizzando Tapatalk

gwen

Slightly Crazed
I was thinking ... with the shield there is less chance of parrying than the shield with bushido, but we have more gear.

My pirate hunter is using shield. But she is weird template. With archery, sword and no parry at all. Bushido is used for Honor only.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is a huge problem with all warrior templates. A warrior by default wants maximum damage, lets set aside slayers for this argument.

To achieve max damage without slayers you absolutely positively need Chivalry as high as possible (@120 = 86% Damage Increase), then you absolutely positively need Bushido at least 50 skill to be able to get perfection at 100%.

With Bushido...
If you go 1 handed you get handicapped
if you use a shield you get handicapped

All warriors are literally forced to go with 2 handed Chiv/Bush to play optimally. Because you are forced down this path, the most logical weapons to use are Double Axe/Bladed Staff. Using anyting else is a detriment.

Shield stats can never make up for the benefits of playing 2 handed/bush.

This seriously needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

Felipovisk

Adventurer
This is a huge problem with all warrior templates. A warrior by default wants maximum damage, lets set aside slayers for this argument.

To achieve max damage without slayers you absolutely positively need Chivalry as high as possible (@120 = 86% Damage Increase), then you absolutely positively need Bushido at least 50 skill to be able to get perfection at 100%.

With Bushido...
If you go 1 handed you get handicapped
if you use a shield you get handicapped

All warriors are literally forced to go with 2 handed Chiv/Bush to play optimally. Because you are forced down this path, the most logical weapons to use are Double Axe/Bladed Staff. Using anyting else is a detriment.

Shield stats can never make up for the benefits of playing 2 handed/bush.

This seriously needs to be addressed.

I disagree in one point only:

Makes sense that warriors with handed weapons deal more damage then a sword and board warrior. What doesnt make sense to me, and it should be adressed, is the fact that sword and board warriors doesnt take less damage or arent more tankier then 2 handed weapon warriors.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I disagree in one point only:

Makes sense that warriors with handed weapons deal more damage then a sword and board warrior. What doesnt make sense to me, and it should be adressed, is the fact that sword and board warriors doesnt take less damage or arent more tankier then 2 handed weapon warriors.
Was exactly my point. There is no definitive 'trinity' of tank, healer and DPS in UO. Using a one handed weapon and shield is a detriment, it benefits no one and needs to be addressed.

Bushido is the only way to achieve max DPS without slayers and by default Bushido only works with 2 handed weapons thus negating one handed and shield. It's a stupid handicap that forces everyone to use nothing but Double Axes and Bladed staves.

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

To continue, a 'sampire' takes advantage of the Vampiric Embrace provided by 99.9 Necromancy for healing and the Bushido skill for defence. With Bushido essentially adding a bonus to your whirlwind damage and maintaining your Parry skill while weilding a 2 handed weapon.

As soon as you go 1 handed (shield or not), Bushido and Parry cancel each other out making them almost completely wasted skill points. No amount of gear will make up for this loss.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My biggest issue with a shield template is actually a little different than what has been discussed. I personally don't mind using slayers and chiv to reach maximum damage. My largest issue is that, without Bushido, I lose Momentum Strike, meaning I need a one-handed weapon with a good single-target special (AI or DS) AND a multi-target attack (FWW, etc.). The closest I've found is a Wakizashi, which is much weaker than a Double Axe.

Last edited:

Felipovisk

Adventurer
My biggest issue with a shield template is actually a little different than what has been discussed. I personally don't mind using slayers and chiv to reach maximum damage. My largest issue is that, without Bushido, I lose Momentum Strike, meaning I need a one-handed weapon with a good single-target special (AI or DS) AND a multi-target attack (FWW, etc.). The closest I've found is a Wakizashi, which is much weaker than a Double Axe.
If you are swords you have radiant scimitars and for every other skill you have whips. All these weapons got Whirlwind as attack, so it shouldnt be a problem.

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
thanks a lot to everyone. I try to ask the question in a different way: do any of you have a character with a sword and shield capable of playing well in various situations?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
All my warriors are pure paladins
Weapon
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Chivalry
Either
Resisting spells((thrower/archer)or parry (swordswoman)

I can do all content

vegasy

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
All my warriors are pure paladins
Weapon
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Chivalry
Either
Resisting spells((thrower/archer)or parry (swordswoman)

I can do all content
Avevo provato tempo fa quel template, ma subentrava il problema delle bende quando morivo, quindi i personaggi con healing li ho scartati

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As soon as you go 1 handed (shield or not), Bushido and Parry cancel each other out making them almost completely wasted skill points. No amount of gear will make up for this loss.
Bushido works fine with 1H Weps, just 5% less Parry Chance (80+ DEX/120 Parry/120 Bush gives 35% Parry chance with 1H, 40% Parry chance with 2H). It's only when you add a Shield to it does the Parry % drop down to 5%.

thanks a lot to everyone. I try to ask the question in a different way: do any of you have a character with a sword and shield capable of playing well in various situations?
My Macer/Paladin did very well during the "Treasures of " Events. He's also capable of soloing Blackthorn Captains, or duoing Exodus. He uses a pretty insane shield though.
Shield 1.PNG

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Avevo provato tempo fa quel template, ma subentrava il problema delle bende quando morivo, quindi i personaggi con healing li ho scartati

Get a first aid belt even if you don't equip it you have bandages when you rez