• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire mace?

Violento

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm about to start a new sampire character. Now, is there any advantage on mace over swords?
Causa someone said to me that you can't whirlwind with maces, so I was wondering what could be the Benefict? Tks

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
With macing, you only get two handed whirlwind weapons (black staff and war hammer)
The black staff is quite fast, but that comes with a damage price. The war hammer is really slow, but deals a ton of damage.
Overall, swords has a much better balanced weapon picks with the specials that matter for a sampire, so you are better off with it.
But macing has stagger, which is awesome against heavy hitting stuff. Doesn't quite make it for the lack of good, fast weapons, but makes it interesting.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When you are surrounded by mobs and your only way of healing is by the % damage you are doing, speed is of the up most. So for that reason its always the Scimitar for me. Sometimes you miss a whirlwind and no healing gets done so getting that second shot in as fast as you can really makes the difference between success or res

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have both swords and macing on my sampire and really liked macing. I have bush on my template so I don't ever were a shield or use pots, so using a two handed weapon is ideal for me.

Black staff vs Double axe :
  • Double axe hits a little harder, but swings a little slower.
  • I found that it was easier to get to max swing speed on the staff without adding SSI to the weapon, which made it easier to add hit area effect
  • Black staffs can be enhanced after you craft them to add 2 HPR and a little extra life leech (which IMO made up the difference in keeping my self alive with slightly less damage output)
  • Double axe has double strike which is really nice for low resist critters, makes it ideal for onslaught in these cases
War axe vs Bladed staff
  • Bladed staff again is a little more damage at the same speed but doesn't really function well with the mastery
  • War axe will give the increased stam drop as you AI, and works very well in conjunction with stagger.
Ultimately the choice I made was that it was easier to get max ssi without putting it on my weapons using macing, and didn't notice really any difference in how well I was able to stay alive, even if it did take a little longer to kill things from the slightly lower damage per hit. I played my sampire with macing that way for years.

With the new loot system, I was eventually able to upgrade my suit to enough stam/ssi on the suit to use a double axe without any ssi added to it, so I now use swords.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Beserker's Maul

Stone(s)
Artifact Rarity 11
Swing Speed Increase 75%
Damage Increase 50%
Physical Damage 100%
Weapon Damage 14-18
Weapon Speed 3.50
Strength Requirement 45
One-Handed Weapon
Skill Required: Mace Fighting
Durability 255

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Beserker's Maul

Stone(s)
Artifact Rarity 11
Swing Speed Increase 75%
Damage Increase 50%
Physical Damage 100%
Weapon Damage 14-18
Weapon Speed 3.50
Strength Requirement 45
One-Handed Weapon
Skill Required: Mace Fighting
Durability 255

Has no mana leech.... might as well be a toothpick.

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have 2 sampires, one is sword other is a fencer, if i had to choose one over the other it would defently be a fencer, use a kama for mulitple mobs and a long spear for single target, on my fencer i can solo a rikktor spawn blind folded.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has no mana leech.... might as well be a toothpick.
GEE I thought we were talking about HEALING not mana leech don't Sampires got there leech from damage dealt and PLEASE show me in your post where you talk about MANA LEECH.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
GEE I thought we were talking about HEALING not mana leech don't Sampires got there leech from damage dealt and PLEASE show me in your post where you talk about MANA LEECH.
Yes, clearly after all these years I have missed all those mace sampires (or ANY other warrior template for that matter) out there using this maul.

It has swing speed, but is otherwise utterly useless. Sampires live and breath off using specials (WW, AI, DS, LS) all of which take mana and it has no mana leech... so just how many double strikes do you think you can get with it?

I have NEVER seen a sampire who runs around killing stuff using just the base weapon damage.

I am pretty sure I have NEVER seen a sampire weapon without mana leech. Seeing as this is a thread about sampires and choosing a weapon skill based on the weapon's benefit to a sampire, it would seem mana leech is a given.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, clearly after all these years I have missed all those mace sampires (or ANY other warrior template for that matter) out there using this maul.

It has swing speed, but is otherwise utterly useless. Sampires live and breath off using specials (WW, AI, DS, LS) all of which take mana and it has no mana leech... so just how many double strikes do you think you can get with it?

I have NEVER seen a sampire who runs around killing stuff using just the base weapon damage.

I am pretty sure I have NEVER seen a sampire weapon without mana leech. Seeing as this is a thread about sampires and choosing a weapon skill based on the weapon's benefit to a sampire, it would seem mana leech is a given.
:next:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm about to start a new sampire character. Now, is there any advantage on mace over swords?
Causa someone said to me that you can't whirlwind with maces, so I was wondering what could be the Benefict? Tks
As noted black staff can whirlwind and is easy to get to 1.25 swing speed. If we are just talking about specials, the only real reason to not use swords is if you want to use a Leafblade which I would say has fallen out of style. Otherwise swords has more more and better options than both mace and fencing.

If you want to look at masteries, then Mace would be a viable choice, as the mastery move drops foes swing speed 60% at level 3, and that can increase your survivability quite a bit. Though I haven't done much warrioring lately, I recall swords master was probably the most situational of the three, and thus less desirable unless you have your activities all planned out.

My advice is just train all 3, and use whichever mastery suits what you are doing best, at the time.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As noted black staff can whirlwind and is easy to get to 1.25 swing speed. If we are just talking about specials, the only real reason to not use swords is if you want to use a Leafblade which I would say has fallen out of style. Otherwise swords has more more and better options than both mace and fencing.

If you want to look at masteries, then Mace would be a viable choice, as the mastery move drops foes swing speed 60% at level 3, and that can increase your survivability quite a bit. Though I haven't done much warrioring lately, I recall swords master was probably the most situational of the three, and thus less desirable unless you have your activities all planned out.

My advice is just train all 3, and use whichever mastery suits what you are doing best, at the time.
Leaf blade is great for mitigating damage. Swords bladed staff and double Axe is your gravy. If you are on Napa let me know I can make you a decent suit with weapons.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
my sampire is macer and i run at least 1 macer per shard.
im very surprised that this conversation has gone on this long and no one has mentioned the Tetsubo?
that is pretty much the only weapon my guys use and it has whirlwind.
its also 2 handed so you get the added imbuing points to make it max everything and if your running parry and bushy its a 2 handed weapon so your pretty much bullet proof using it.
swing speed is pretty much the lowest that you can get and with 150 dex your already swinging at max even without SSI.
if you wanna cheap out you can even run 120 dex and only 10SSI to hit max swing speed.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I tend to prefer to run my macers as dexxers with healing.
They really shiny there. I love playing my macer at Legends.
My sampires run swords for the most part, but I am seriously considering to change the one that I use at turtle spawn to be a macer.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have both mace samps and swords. The mace ones are cheaper since 120 mace is often easier and cheaper to find for the scroll.

The swords does have some better weapon choices but my mace guys do just fine.

Mace I run a series of black staffs each with diff super slayers, one with SC on it for Horde spawn and one generic one with no slayer but as much mana, life, stamina leech I can get on it. For my 1-1 dmg weapon I use the war axe with armor ignore. Weapon swap between the two at spawns.

For swords its the trusty radiant scimitar with same setups as the black staffs with the bladed staff for the AI battles.

The mana leech is key so you can continuously use your specials.

I really should move resist spells into my skills for the spawning but I'm a glutton for punishment. Stupid Mage Ratmen.

Mace/Swords, Parry, Anat, Tacs, Necro, Bushido, Chivalry

I get some of the mods from my jewelry and have as much dex and stamina increase as I can get on my jewels and armor.

I carry around two insured items with only LRC 20 on them so I can use them to cast vamp embrace before I go back to my normal armor/jewel set.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im very surprised that this conversation has gone on this long and no one has mentioned the Tetsubo?
I guess I sort of forgot about it. I used to use one, but I remembered frenzied whirlwind not being as high damage as regular whirlwind, while being more mana intensive. That could be a misconception.

I do like the idea of beating people with a spiked log though. :p

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I carry around two insured items with only LRC 20 on them so I can use them to cast vamp embrace before I go back to my normal armor/jewel set.
Could use a pair of arcane boots, but you probably have something in your footwear slot with properties..

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
my sampire is macer and i run at least 1 macer per shard.
that is pretty much the only weapon my guys use and it has whirlwind.
its also 2 handed so you get the added imbuing points to make it max everything and if your running parry and bushy its a 2 handed weapon so your pretty much bullet proof using it.
swing speed is pretty much the lowest that you can get and with 150 dex your already swinging at max even without SSI.
if you wanna cheap out you can even run 120 dex and only 10SSI to hit max swing speed.
I carry one of the demon slayer tetsubo's form ToT with my macer/sammy. Outside of that use a mixed selection of weapons, generally I prefer a diamond mace when it's against something that I don't have to worry about strong adds and wouldn't need whirlwind, for those that have weaker adds I just use momentum strike.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Could use a pair of arcane boots, but you probably have something in your footwear slot with properties..
I think I keep a set of Armor of Fortune and a Pendent of the Magi, between them that's 70% LRC and even if I fizzle a couple times after rezzing, it usually hits rather quickly.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I think I keep a set of Armor of Fortune and a Pendent of the Magi, between them that's 70% LRC and even if I fizzle a couple times after rezzing, it usually hits rather quickly.
pendant of the magi and a necro book with LRC on it, gets me up just under 50% and only costs me one insurance hit when i die.
yes, im that cheap!

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i should have mentioned about my sampire - i got bored one day and mucked around with him a bit.
reason being this exact topic... what kinda weapon?

so my answer was to train up all the melee skills and put on soul stones and that way i could swap out my mace for sword should i pick up a 'to die for' sword weapon or the same for fencing and even archery. I did the same with my thrower garg, i found that i was getting a lot of really nice garg weapons that i couldnt use so i worked up mace/sword/fence and stoned them so if the mood takes me i can swap out my throwing for one of the others.

also, i was torn between running with healing/anat like im use to doing with my old school normal warriors and being able to cross heal with guild mates and the new 'sampire' templates so i did the same thing i did above.
i have healing and anat on right now for cross healing and i have resisting spells and parry on soul stones so i can swap them out depending on what im going out to do.

it just give me more flexibility with my sampire.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes, arcane boots or such would be possible but you would have to keep recharging them wheras LRC is always there.

I do wear the detective boots for Int 3 or something like that.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
pendant of the magi and a necro book with LRC on it, gets me up just under 50% and only costs me one insurance hit when i die.
yes, im that cheap!
What you didn't fill up a bag with Bless Deeds from Clean Up Britannia a few years back?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I carry a spare imbued suit with 100% lrc, 40 lmc, about 12 MR, 12 HPR, 18 Stam regen so I can get back to the fight a wee bit faster and in a slight better condition to the fight. And +30 necro on the jewels of that suit to fizzle the casting of vampire form a bit less.
Swapping the suits only takes one click, and insurance is cheap, so eh... why not.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I carry a spare imbued suit with 100% lrc, 40 lmc, about 12 MR, 12 HPR, 18 Stam regen so I can get back to the fight a wee bit faster and in a slight better condition to the fight. And +30 necro on the jewels of that suit to fizzle the casting of vampire form a bit less.
Swapping the suits only takes one click, and insurance is cheap, so eh... why not.
why not make a suit out of studded and bone and that way you can achieve the 55 LMC, thats what i do as i dont carry med on my warriors.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
why not make a suit out of studded and bone and that way you can achieve the 55 LMC, thats what i do as i dont carry med on my warriors.
I think she just meant a spare suit to get back into form:

I carry two jewels with 25 lrc and a juo'nars spell book for a total of 60 LRC and + 15 necro.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I carry a 100% LRC suit with some necro jewels on both my sampire and my wraith archer so I can easily get back into form... but I didn't think to have pieces with high regen to get back up to full HP/mana/stam. I now have some motivation to adjust my 'LRC suit'. Thanks for sharing!

I personally run Swords on my Sampire and have some fellow guild members that run fencing. The only folks I know that run mace fighting typically do it on a Paladin character. The mace fighting masteries are actually pretty decent, but I'm not a huge fan of the weapon options.

Furthermore, if you haven't checked it out already... maybe you could look up some more Mace Fighting templates on the Warrior forum here: UO Warrior

Good luck.

Violento

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I got very curious on the tetsubo idea. How is the damage results results comparing it to a double axe for example?

And what's the difference between frenzied and normal whirlwind anyways? Could not find much on google...

I'm asking this cause as someone said earlier, I think swing a spiked log is more stylish than a axe... :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Because that suit is just for casting vampiric embrace when I die.
It has 30 med and 16 int on the jewels as well to speed mana recovery a bit more, so I can cast ve faster and throw in a confidence or two quickly and a divine fury to get more HP and stam before I engage combat on my normal suit again.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Black staff is amazing- when in a lot of creatures, you want speed, the weapon damage doesn't mean much- most of your damage will come from the damage done from Bushido.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Double axes and bladed staffs,
Get 20 ssi on the brace/ring and you can use both weapons with no ssi on them, reforge them for a 100 HML or 100HLL and you are sorted!