• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Sampire in plate

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So... I was pwning up a Rikktor spawn and my wife walks by and was watching me, proceed to get through the spawn and down Rikky without dying and she said 'I want to do that'.... thus started her making a sampire.

But.... unlike my woodland armor, which she considers ugly, she wanted her armor to be 'pretty'..... and she decided on plate armor.

I thought that I would document my trials and tribulations down this path....

Since she wanted plate and was going to be a macer (I let her choose her weapon skill), I felt the best piece to start with was the Insane Tinker Legs, together with Mace and Shield glasses, we start with resist of:
42/25/17/25/12

Being a Sampire, I am looking for resist of 70/95/70/85/75 (she's an elf). If poison doesn't reach 85, that will be fine, but I'd like it to be 85 plus...

Physical I won't put much though into because needing only 28 resist spread over 4 pieces... that's 7 per piece.... at this point, I am planning on each piece being Valorite, so that is a base 9 in Physical, which would put me at 78.

Why Valorite? I know that I am going to be imbuing Fire on each piece. In order for Fire to hit 95, I have to average 17.5 fire per piece. I am tempted to use like a DC hammer and see if I just happen to get lucky... then again, I kind of consider that a waste, since I use DC hammers for making elemental weapons.

With Valorite having resist of 4/0/3/3/3, it seems a prefect fit for the premise. Of the metals, it has the highest total resist between cold/poison/energy.

more....as I figure it out :D

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am beginning to wonder if I would be better off making with normal iron then enhancing... if it would be cheaper in the long run (valorite isn't cheap).

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the starting resist, that means in 4 pieces I need to get:
53 Cold (13.25 per piece)
60(50'ish) Poison* (15 per piece)
63 Energy (15.75 per piece)

In my testing so far, the best piece I've made so far is:
10/5/12/10/11

I feel that I am going to have to imbue at least 2 of the 3 (cold/poison/energy) at least once, taking my resist imbues to 6 instead of 4.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
With the starting resist, that means in 4 pieces I need to get:
53 Cold (13.25 per piece)
60(50'ish) Poison* (15 per piece)
63 Energy (15.75 per piece)

In my testing so far, the best piece I've made so far is:
10/5/12/10/11

I feel that I am going to have to imbue at least 2 of the 3 (cold/poison/energy) at least once, taking my resist imbues to 6 instead of 4.

Imbue, then enhance, is your best bet.... Look for pieces with 12 or 13 in ONE of the resists (or higher, if you're REALLY lucky), with the rest being crappy. (the lower the others are before you imbue them, the better). You'll probably through a couple of ASH +10 or +15, to get to that point, since you REALLY need the Exceptional Bonus and GM Arms lore bonus to the EX bonus to make this feasable. You might even get lucky and get a couple of 12s, with everything else crap.

Imbue the armor to raise the other two resists to where the valorite will raise them over your desired average, then enhance. It might be worth your while to invest in one of those tools for the guaranteed enhances.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Next best piece:
9/5/10/15/9

Also just before that made 2 pieces:
19/3/10/8/8
20/7/7/7/7

Shame I don't need Physical Resist.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Made about 500 pieces so far.... yeah, I am think that enhancing iron is going to be a much cheaper route... also, might end up using another material besides Valorite for a piece.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now, I have it down to where the resist will be after imbuing:

80/95/70/84/75

Trying to decide if it's worth the mod slot to make the armor poison corpse proof.

That is with 8 imbues. 4 Fire, 2 Cold, 1 Poison, 1 Energy. Before imbuing the resist are:
80/44/50/72/67

I could just imbue the Fire and 1 Cold and be at:
80/95/65/72/67

Which isn't horrible, but those 3 extra imbue slots would come in handy.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I am imbuing cold in 2 places, it might be better to enhance with Copper instead of Valorite.

Reasons:
-I don't care about the bonus to physical, fire or cold
-Copper has a higher value for Poison/Energy (7) than Valorite(6) does
-It will cost a little more in PoF, but would be worth it I think.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Removing Physical and Fire from the equation, the top metals left are Valorite (9), Copper (7), Bronze (7), Verite (6) and Agapite(6).

Taking a closer look, on the pieces that I imbue Cold on, Copper is the best option for total resist. On the one that I imbue Poison on, it is a tie between Valorite and Bronze. And the same on Energy, Valorite and Bronze.

Crunching the numbers now trying to balance stuff out.

Right now here are my base pieces:
Neck: 5/4/9/6/11
Chest: 6/5/3/8/13
Arms: 6/5/2/9/13
Hands: 5/5/7/12/6

Also, currently planning on using Mace & Shields and Insane Legs of the Tinker. Might pass on the Legs of the Tinker if I can get the SSI/Stam high enough.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I replace the neck with a Glad Collar, I just have to imbue Cold and Poison to get:
90/95/70/85/71

I can skip imbuing the Poison and it would be 76, which would make 4 (of 15) imbues, but really limits my options on the armor.

And that is imbuing 13 on Cold (Poison would be 9).

Going to bed....numbers are starting to run together.

Other Numbers (if I have them right)
HCI 45
DCI 40
LMC 40
HPI 25
MR 2
MI * (If 8 fits on the 3 pieces, then I'll have 24)
DI 80 (without weapon)
SSI 20 (without weapon)
Dex +10
Stamina Increase +25
Stamina Regen 2
HLD 30
Strength +19
HPR 2

Those numbers reflect imbuing the Poison resist to make it 85.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Start with Mace&Shield + insane tinker legs
42/25/17/25/12
and craft 4 exc iron pieces (5/3/2/3/2 prior to arms lore bonus)
Enhance with valorite (4/0/3/3/3) you'll need four fire imbues and the four pieces to gain 33 cold, 36 poison, and 43 energy from arms lore + imbues to hit the target 70/95/70/85/75.

If you Enhance with agapite 2/3/2/2/2 on all four pieces you would then need 2 fire imbues if you could craft two pieces at 5/11/x/x/x. This would leave you needing 0/0/37/40/47 from arms lore and imbues to get there.

Max imbue on plate is 20/18/17/18/17 in each category.

My recommendation is to craft a ton of pieces and save any 5/3/x/x/x or 5/11/x/x/x. You may also opt to save any 6/3/x/x/x, 5/4/x/x/x, or 6/11/x/x/x pieces. If you are able to go the agapite route you'll be able to move two imbues from fire into the other resists, which should also have lower totals as the fire received 7 of the exceptional bonus resists.

Roland of Atlantic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep us posted on the progress, and what the final setup was and how you got there, like what the base pieces were, and what material you made them from, what they did if you enhanced them... I'm interested in this.

I was the guy you tried to help do this same thing a while back. I ended up working something together that consisted of the mace and shield and 5 imbued pieces spaning a variety of metals. My suit went this way:

Shadow tunic: 9/18/14/12/11 with 2 resist imbues (I think fire and cold)
Imbued stamina 8, LMC 8, and mana 7

Copper legs: 12/18/17/9/16 with 2 resist imbues (I think fire and cold)
Imbued stamina 8, LMC 8, and mana 5

Copper arms: 11/18/10/12/13 with 2 resist imbues (I think fire and energy)
Imbued stamina 8, LMC 8, and mana 7

Shadow gloves: 9/18/4/18/20 with 2 resists (I think fire and energy)
Imbued stamina 8, LMC 8, and mana 5

Verite gorget: 11/13/14/10/6 with 1 resist imbue (maybe fire?)
Imbued stamina 8, LMC 7, hit points 5, and mana 7

I came up only 69 cold for some reason, probably because I was looking for one more point of mana and it came closer to the 500 cap than the extra point of resist. :D I used earrings of protection to reach 70. I run this char with the CC, ranger cape and Corgul sash. Ring and bracelet are 3 str, 8 dex, 15 HCI, 15 DCI, 25 DI

This is an elf char so I ended up with
126 hit points
191 stamina
76 mana

Everyone tells me I went crazy on the stamina and mana but I don't run SSI on any of my weapons, I run area effects and slayers on all my spawn weapons. And I like a giant mana pool to spam doublestrikes and AI. My HCI is 40 with the trinket, 30 without. DCI is 35. I know I could get more mods with a robe, but warriors shouldn't wear robes. They obscure the fancy plate armor, and you would think they would get in the way, and get sliced and burnt in combat. How do you get the stains out... :D Plus, everyone wears robes, so warriors look like mages look like mystics look like...

The resists on this char are 70/95/70/70/75 so I'm not currently corpse skin proof. I'm interested in your build. I'm curious to see if you can use the tink legs and M&S's and still put 2 or less resist imbues on each of the other pieces to reach 70/95/70/85/75.

Reactions: dvv

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The resists on this char are 70/95/70/70/75 so I'm not currently corpse skin proof. I'm interested in your build. I'm curious to see if you can use the tink legs and M&S's and still put 2 or less resist imbues on each of the other pieces to reach 70/95/70/85/75.
As it stands right now, even without the Glads Collar, I have the suit 'done' with 2 resist imbues on 4 pieces and 1 resist imbue on 1, I am trying to get it down 1 more....I think I can, I just need to make a perfect piece.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally I have made a sampire suit out of a mixture of plate, chain, and ringmail that is all 70s with vampiric embrace. I just made out of iron then imbued then enhanced. I did not go with pieces that had high resist on one resist, I went with ones that had evenly distributed resists. Each of the 5 pieces has 100 luck, Stam 8, and LMC 8, then 2 imbued resists. I then enhanced with Gold ingots and added mace and shield glasses.

That said, calories gives a bit more resists than gold, you can switch out the luck for HPI on 3 pieces and mana regen on the other two for a very nice suit.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just an update:

With imbuing just +1 resist beyond the 4 fire, I am sitting at:
70/95/71/68/65

If I wasn't worried about making it corpse proof, I could just put on those poison resist boots and imbue energy +10 to make it 70/95/71/70/75.

So, with imbuing 7 resist, I am able to get a nearly corpse proof suit- and I am sure it would be completely corpse proof with imbuing 7 resist, if I wanted to keep making pieces.

Once I figure out where the mods go, I'll imbue the suit and post it.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To make this particular suit corpse proof, enhance with Verite instead of Valorite. That takes the fire to 109, and would look something like:
77/109/66/84/66

I am sure if I made enough pieces to get 'perfect' pieces that I would reach the 70/110/70/85/75 level. But, wife is getting anxious to play her new character, so I am thinking where is it now is good enough.

Added: Enhancing with Valorite does have the added bonus of only having to PoF to 170, and the metals bonus will take the durability to 255.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They do work.... if I had the time, I think I would have ended up getting a real gladiator's collar and completing the suit that way. As such, my wife was ready to play her and I went ahead and finished with what I had.

I should have planned it better in the beginning, knowing that I would use verite (to make it corpse proof). In the end, I decided against making it corpse proof against poison, because being human, I felt she needed the extra mod toward mana.

She's now soloed Semidar, Barracoon and Mephtis, lived though toe to toe with Rikktor and Neira (we duo'ed them). So, I'd say the suit is pretty much a complete success. I think, given more time I could have made the suit better, but it works pretty well.

Here it is: (next post)

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Finishing out the suit is:
Mace and Shield Glasses
Animated Legs of the Insane Tinker
Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation
Spell Focusing Sash (until I get a Corgul one)
Crimson Cincture
Conjurer's Trinket/Primer at Arms
Ring/Bracelet are both STR +8, DEX +3, HCI 15, DCI 15, DI 25%

This armor was designed for as much look as it was function. Don't get me wrong, I think it works wonderfully. She does as good as I do so far, and I am in an imbued/enhanced woodland suit.

The rings were extras from my suit, I need to make her ones that will include LMC to get her to 40% LMC. Once I finish her rings I'll post the final numbers.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The base pieces (I think) were:
Neck- 5/4/9/6/11
Chest- 6/5/5/12/7
Arms- 6/5/2/9/13
Hands- 6/4/11/5/9

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great suit. Its nice to see plate! I have to ask tho, why didnt you bump stam to 180? its only 2 pnts! That would drive me nuts :p

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great suit. Its nice to see plate! I have to ask tho, why didnt you bump stam to 180? its only 2 pnts! That would drive me nuts :p
Thanks

The stam will get to 180+ once I get a Corgul's sash and redo the rings.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been a nice thread, even for a non-crafter, and a non-sampire.

Thank you for posting this interesting journey.

-Galen's player

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been a nice thread, even for a non-crafter, and a non-sampire.

Thank you for posting this interesting journey.

-Galen's player

I have like 3 other suits to make then I am going to make a 'real' plate one. :danceb:

KPac

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
so for someone who is new to this. can someone explain how have the resist over 70 helps. And what is your wood suit template?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so for someone who is new to this. can someone explain how have the resist over 70 helps. And what is your wood suit template?
70 is a what I would call a soft cap. You can have upto 70, but anything over 70 is still there.

There are certain spells (in this case Vampiric Embrace) which give a penalty to resist (VE is -25). So, in order to stay at 70 resist after one of those spells is in effect, you exceed that soft cap.

My wood suit? If I remember, I'll SS it and post it later.

G

Goat Blood

Hi guys,

Have noticed people talking about "corpse skin proof".

What does this mean ?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Corpse Skin reduces your resist in Fire and Poison by 15 each. So, if you want to stay all 70s after being hit with corpse skin, you need your Fire/Poison resist to be at least 85 each.

KPac

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Which would you say is better the wood or the plate. I am using leather right now. Want to really be able to solo somethings.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think depending on how you do it, wood is the best,and there really isn't much to debate that. My biggest issue with wood atm is repairing. Even with GM Carp, awesome tali and woodworkers bench, I fail a good number of times. And I am not sure the tali/bench help with success on repairs.

As for metal/leather..... you can make points for either, which is better.

You can make a pretty good sampire suit pretty cheap. When it comes down to it, it really depends on what you want. You don't have to have HCI/DI come from the armor. And you can make that up on your weapons/jewelry/arties.

I think that the more important part though is planning it out right.

When creating the suit, I sit down and say, these are the artifacts I am/can use. How do I plan around that to get the numbers I want. Am I going to be elf or human (for the record, I am about to make a Female Swords Sampire, not sure if I am going Human or Elf... some of the JOAT abilities have me intrigued).

Anyway, back to your question-

Wood is better. There is no reason you can't solo stuff in Leather. In fact, some people put it #2 behind Wood.... I am not one of them.

5% Luck

This might just make your job here a little easier.

OpenOffice.org Downloads

This is a free spread sheet program with rows and columns that can be bolded and calculated.

What I do is down the left side i start rows labeled armor pieces. Another row for artis(usually added up alrdy), one for enhance(also added up), and one for template mods(-25 fire in your case or if proct is up ect...). Across the top, columns labeled resists(phys,fire,ect...) and after that more columns for mods.

Once I get that far I shift select a column all the way just past the last row and hit calculate(looks like a weird E) for each column. That sets it so when I add in pieces into the rows it auto tabulates the totals at the bottom for each column.

Now its time to craft(note I use this for post enhancing and you can set it to accommodate you style). As I craft pieces I drop them into the appropriate row and column for each resist and pieces and watch the total row change until it is the planned on number 70/70/70/70/75.

I also make sure to bold each resist that would be a imbued mod and set it in one of the mod columns for later reference.

Once a set is made. I tend to try and see how much is left over or above what is needed and check it to a possible extra mod. If there is room I just keep crafting until the base totals are close enough to the base minimums(70s) that even an exceptionally rare arms lore bump wont net another mod.

That leave only potential mods. When it is filled out as you like head out to the queens forge and you have a template for the mods you want per pieces and there is little chance of dropping the wrong resist on the wrong piece.

Oh and fort them up. My worst mistakes have been in forgetting to fort up the pieces!

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which would you say is better the wood or the plate. I am using leather right now. Want to really be able to solo somethings.
what does leather vs wood vs metal have to do with soloing stuff?

i made my sampire suit out of leather due to how easy it was..

i can solo pretty much everything that anyone else can.

my specs are
pre pots
140 hp, 55 mana, 180 stam
43 hci, 43 dci, 100 di (with 40 on wep), 37 lmc.

after vampire form
70,70, 68, 70, 70

if i bought those earrings i could be all 70s but i dont know if its worth it or not.. i could have spend more time and got all 70s but i settled on a couple pieces that took awhile and the RNG was not working for me.

the suit i made is barbed.. i use one arty the folded steel glasses.

it all comes down to planning and base pieces.. i made pieces that had 0 or closest to 0 arms lore bonus in fire.

i then made it so i put stam8 lmc 8 and hp5 and fire bumped up to max 2 pieces.
i put stam8 lmc8 hp5 and phy and fire bumped up what the armor could hold 15 phy and 16 fire on 2 pieces
the last piece has stam8 mana7 hp4 and fire and poison bumped up to max.

it worked out pretty good.

my ring is
dex 8
str 8
ssi 5
di 25
hci 15

my brace is
dex 8
hci 15
dci 15
lmc 5
di 20

i use the cloak of death(the one with 3hci and 3dci), quiver of infinity (5dci) and the spell focus sash (5dci).
i also have a trinket with 10 hci.
i was 2 pts low on poison so i got the boots.

it only took a couple hours and about 2500 barbed hides and maybe 2 or 3m in ingredients to make this suit.

the hardest part was the ring heh.

i already had the cloak and trinket, they might be hard to find.

edit, checking the math i can remake my gloves and get all 70s without using the boots.. so its possible with the right pieces and you dont need really rare ones with super high bonus on one resist.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nusair great post thanks for recommending it. I have to question though...why would you be so worried about getting your poison resist to 85??? Especially when sampires are immune to poison?

I find those imbuing slots way too precious for me to spend them on resists.
Also why only 40 lmc?? I would think give you are crafting for a sampire using plate you goal would be 50?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sampires are not immune to poison damage. They are mostly immune to being poisoned.

What do I mean? If you get hit by a poison elemental, which 90% of it's damage is poison based, you are going to take damage.

When you are poisoned, by the spell, special attack, or something else, you resist everything except level 6 (supposedly, I think level 5 or 6, but- no hard proof) poison.

As for going to 85---- there is a spell Corpse Skin which reduces your fire and poison resistances by 15. If your poison resist 70, when hit by that spell, it would go down to 55. Which is why on my generic sampire suits, I usually over cap poison by 15 (and fire by 40).

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Also why only 40 lmc?? I would think give you are crafting for a sampire using plate you goal would be 50?
Not going to be getting to 50 using just plate. Best all plate could do is 46. 40 from the imbues + 1 per piece of bonus.
I don't think 55 LMC or even 50 is as important today as it used to be.

It's now so easy to run SSI jewelry that you don't need any SSI on a 3.0 weapon (bladed staff). Which means you can reforge to 100 HML. Avg damage from an AI at 0 perfection (assume: non-slayer, 120 Chiv to cast EoO) should be about 110, meaning you'll leech, on average, >22 per swing. This is just about steady-state assuming you've got the 300 skill points of ws/bush/parry. Sure, you can land 3 or 4 low leech hits in a row courtesy of the RNG... but that will screw you equally at 40 45 50 55, whatever.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Plate can do 45 LMC because the armour extra bonus is capped at 5 pieces, which is also why studded is capped at 55 (5 * 3) instead of 58 (6 * 3).
With the new, updated metal resists, it is also much easier to reach overcapped resists in plate armour, and the stam resist comes really handy.

With SSI jewels being fairly easy to get nowadays as well, I am not too keen on using tinker legs. I tend to prefer clockwork legs for the 25 DCI, 5 dex and the fact that you can imbue and enhance it.
Resists are poor on that piece, but that is easily counter balanced with a brittle legendary piece enhanced with valorite, verite or agapite.