• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

running two instances

M

mariotso

i am no longer able to run two instances of the game. when i try to log the second one it, it says only one can be running at a time.

i have two accounts, two copies of tso on separate hard drives, and i created shortcuts from lee's how to post.

i used to be able to before all these login issues. does anyone know anything about it? thanks!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

You need to run your short cut to TSOclient.exe in your EAland version.

M

mariotso

oh, i don't have the ealand version. is that the only way to do it now?

G

No, you still should have TSOClient.exe on both EaLand and old version, they should have the same files I think.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I have folders on different drives also. I've had to run my icons on TSOclient even though they are on different hard drives.

M

mariotso

so you don't use the patch exe shortcut like lee described? instead use the one in the client folder?

I

imported_LFancey

mariotso,

Use the TSO.exe file and shortcut as I described. It is the key to safe navigation and patching between the various versions of the game.

Once you can use that TSO.exe short cut and patch around etc etc then you can make a TSOClient.exe shortcut in the exact same manner. Then to run two instances.
1st Use the TSO.exe (ALWAYS) patch to the proper city and login.
2nd Use the TSOClient.exe, a different account, and login. "To the exact same city you logged into using TSO.exe" <--- this is the safest due to the 3-5 versions out there. If you don't do it this way you can break.

Keep in mind that the second step is an unsupported feature and you should use at your own risk.

TSO.exe in 95% of the cases get you out of a tight spot.

G

In case you forget how to do the tsoclient...

Taken from One of my posts

<blockquote><hr>

If you are running from the tso.exe to access TC3 simpy do this.

OK do the following steps.....

1. Right click your start button and select explore.
2. Go to the Directory/Folder - "C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims Online\TSOClient\"
3 Right click on the TSOClient.exe and select "Create Shortcut".
4. Go to the new shortcut called "Shortcut to TSOClient.exe" and click on the text part once, then again slowly and type in a name you want like "TC3".
5. Right click on the "Shortcut" and then select "properties" and the top window is "Target".
6. Go to the far right quote mark where it says "C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims Online\TSOClient\TSOClient.exe"
7. After the quote mark type/add a space and type -w so that the text in the window now looks like this "C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims Online\TSOClient\TSOClient.exe" -w
8. Click the "Apply" button, then the "OK" button.
9. Drag this new icon to your desktop.
10. Start TSO and play in windowed mode.

If you are running TSO from the new EALand setup do the following.....

1. Right click your start buttonand select explore.
2. Go to the Directory/Folder - "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\"
3 Right click on the TSOClient.exe and select "Create Shortcut".
4. Go to the new shortcut called "Shortcut to TSOClient.exe" and click on the text part once, then again slowly and type in a name you want like "TC3".
5. Right click on the "Shortcut" and then select "properties" and the top window is "Target".
6. Go to the far right quote mark where it says "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\TSOClient.exe"
7. After the quote mark add a space and type -w so that the text in the window now looks like this "C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\TSOClient.exe"" -w
8. Click the "Apply" button, then the "OK" button.
9. Drag this new icon to your desktop.
10. Start TSO and play in windowed mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can now run multiple instances of TSO by either starting the TSO.exe shoortcut 1st and then for every account you run after starting the TSO.exe you would use the TSOClient.exe shotcut. Or you could just simply use the TSOClient shortcut and run as many as you want.

M

mariotso

lee, i wanted to see if tc3 test was now working for my particular graphics card.

after patching, i continue to get an error "No Multiple Render Target support dected" each time i use that instance.

can you tell me how to get the box back so i can patch back to tc3?

thank you!

I

imported_LFancey

mariotso,

This sounds like you are using TSOClient.exe directly (or through a shortcut to TSOClient.exe) and have it patched to TC3-test. Since you can't run the graphics version of TSOClient.exe this will crash on you. To fix this problem:

You need to use TSO.exe (Or a shortcut to it) and choose the TC3 version of the game. Let the application patch and then you use TSO or TC3 again.

If this does not fix it for you let me know.

Thanks

Lee