• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Running over para fields bug/exploit

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see people running straight through enemy paralyzing fields... I thought this was fixed in the past. These players use EC client (europa shard). This need to be fixed asap

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lemme answer some quick questions people might ask:

- No, it was it was an enemy orange running through my fields.

- Yes, I made sure i had 120 eval.

- No i wasnt the only one who saw this happening, @Mervyn was there.

- This happened at least 4 times this week

Last edited:

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay thank you for confirming what I thought I saw yesterday while doing VvV, I thought I was seeing things. I had surrounded and covered the alter with fields. A char running a whammy ran through the paralyze fields. Oh well poison fields messed him up good. :) This char was also orange to me as we were both VvV. Obviously this bug needs fixing.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Was this non stop running or was there a brief pause while they hit their trapped box or anti paralyze potion

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was this non stop running or was there a brief pause while they hit their trapped box or anti paralyze potion
Probably non-stop running. I have seen guys (Who are known box script users) keep moving, with no pause between the paralysis and the box kicking in.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
This particular bug used to be accomplished by leaving a casting cursor up or I believe a Mage wand cursor up.

I'd assume this would be a similar issue.

I Actually PVP

Adventurer
Okay thank you for confirming what I thought I saw yesterday while doing VvV, I thought I was seeing things. I had surrounded and covered the alter with fields. A char running a whammy ran through the paralyze fields. Oh well poison fields messed him up good. :) This char was also orange to me as we were both VvV. Obviously this bug needs fixing.
Just a lil PSA: If you're trying to defend somehthing/are worried about people running through your fields, don't combine paralyze fields with poison fields.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a lil PSA: If you're trying to defend somehthing/are worried about people running through your fields, don't combine paralyze fields with poison fields.
Hmmm, interesting my friend that's been schooling me on PVP with a mage taught me the opposite: layers of fields.
I just commented that the guy ran through my paralyze fields. Besides if it wasn't for the poison fields the dude would killed me, so I must be doing something right. I'll PVP my way, you can pvp yours.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Choke fights you almost always do poison on them and para on you.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Generally like to throw nox fields on them with a few para and that lil annoying strand of efields..always keep para on yourself..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this has been happening for quite awhile now, I thought it was working as intended lol
was wondering if it was vvv anti para potion or just another exploit. either way non vvv people/cc will continue to get screwed.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I remember correctly you could do divine fury and run through para fields or was that just if an object was stamina blocking you?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
this has been happening for quite awhile now, I thought it was working as intended lol
was wondering if it was vvv anti para potion or just another exploit. either way non vvv people/cc will continue to get screwed.
The potion works only after you are paralyzed. I've tried to use this recently to run over them with no luck.

So it seems it's just another exploit but I wouldn't be too quick to pin it on VVV until you know what it is.

It's sort of like seeing all these archers casting create food thinking it will improve their hit chance.

They face plant just as easy as the ones who don't.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If I remember correctly you could do divine fury and run through para fields or was that just if an object was stamina blocking you?
This is for Stam blocks.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's sort of like seeing all these archers casting create food thinking it will improve their hit chance.

LOL its nothing to do with hit chance its to equip another weapon without any delay.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
LOL its nothing to do with hit chance its to equip another weapon without any delay.
Was a guess since that was the reason last time I started seeing them use a spell.

so this must be used after disarm?

I can't imagine the slight delay just switching weapons would be enough to use it.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No and it is....newb
Lol, guilty as charged but it certainly didn't help any of the ones using it.

I guess equip last weapon works fine for me, or if I need to change between 3 I use UOA macros.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was a guess since that was the reason last time I started seeing them use a spell.

so this must be used after disarm?

I can't imagine the slight delay just switching weapons would be enough to use it.
No cast a fast spell when you are holding a NON SC weapon and it disarms you really fast

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No cast a fast spell when you are holding a NON SC weapon and it disarms you really fast
I hit my equip last macro to switch. UOA had a macro to disarm unless it's an EC issue?

I don't see the point behind it because the casting time and disarm time seems to be a wash.

There must be more to it than this. But if it's a bug I can understand the reluctance to share because it has been more common recently.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hit my equip last macro to switch. UOA had a macro to disarm unless it's an EC issue?

I don't see the point behind it because the casting time and disarm time seems to be a wash.

There must be more to it than this. But if it's a bug I can understand the reluctance to share because it has been more common recently.
My understanding is this... no bug involved

you can either hit disarm macro and then an arm macro...

or you can write a macro that casts a fast spell and arms a weapon......that is the fastest way because the disarming is automatically. but we are probably only talking about 1-1.5 secs difference.

I know my pvp isnt effected by 1-1.5 seconds difference..... but some say it does!

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My understanding is this... no bug involved

you can either hit disarm macro and then an arm macro...

or you can write a macro that casts a fast spell and arms a weapon......that is the fastest way because the disarming is automatically. but we are probably only talking about 1-1.5 secs difference.

I know my pvp isnt effected by 1-1.5 seconds difference..... but some say it does!
Yeah I don't know man, I don't see it but I've been wrong before.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take the time required to disarm the weapon, Rearm the next one and then toggle the special. vs

Cast create food (Instant disarm, no object timer) + Equip weapon through UOA and then toggle the special. Its probably 50% Faster over the first one.

They really just need to remove the object timer from "Disarm" Players in the enhanced client can already swap out an entire suit in 1 second.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The potion works only after you are paralyzed. I've tried to use this recently to run over them with no luck.

So it seems it's just another exploit but I wouldn't be too quick to pin it on VVV until you know what it is.

this is done because its a faster way to change weapons. has nothing to do with hit chance.

*edit - nevermind greg explained well.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Take the time required to disarm the weapon, Rearm the next one and then toggle the special. vs

Cast create food (Instant disarm, no object timer) + Equip weapon through UOA and then toggle the special. Its probably 50% Faster over the first one.

They really just need to remove the object timer from "Disarm" Players in the enhanced client can already swap out an entire suit in 1 second.
Yeah I can't grasp the reasoning you would use this over equip last because most of it them are using the same bow.

I guess if they are switching between a lot of weapons I can see some merit to it.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Casting create food or any first level spell disarms a non spell chan wep. It fizzles the spell and eliminates the 1.75 equip delay. The only reason you would use equip last and it be faster is if switching between 2 weapons. But now all templates usually have 3-4 weapons to switch between. It is almost twice as fast to un-equip with a spell and re-equip than it is to de-equip re-equip with a macro. That 1.75 seconds could ensure death and stop a bandage or fizzle a gheal..it's a crucial time to damage mitigation factor..you just killed a ****ty hehe

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Casting create food or any first level spell disarms a non spell chan wep. It fizzles the spell and eliminates the 1.75 equip delay. The only reason you would use equip last and it be faster is if switching between 2 weapons. But now all templates usually have 3-4 weapons to switch between. It is almost twice as fast to un-equip with a spell and re-equip than it is to de-equip re-equip with a macro. That 1.75 seconds could ensure death and stop a bandage or fizzle a gheal..it's a crucial time to damage mitigation factor..you just killed a ****ty hehe

All that said, it certainly feels like an exploit (taking advantage of poor programming) to use a spell to circumvent the delay of switching weapons via conventional means.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All that said, it certainly feels like an exploit (taking advantage of poor programming) to use a spell to circumvent the delay of switching weapons via conventional means.
I sort of agree...there's always been lantern mages. It's been in the game for a long time. It feels more like poorly implemented game mechanics when age of shadows came out not to fix it. But it would be extremely hard to fix. I think it was initially introduced to stop holding items and casting to prevent hally mages an extreme advantage

You can also hold a shield mid air, chug a pot and drop the shield on a rune book or spell book for an insta re-equip..it's not really an exploit or a bug..just a necessary evil and far too complex to remedy imo

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I sort of agree...there's always been lantern mages. It's been in the game for a long time. It feels more like poorly implemented game mechanics when age of shadows came out not to fix it. But it would be extremely hard to fix. I think it was initially introduced to stop holding items and casting to prevent hally mages an extreme advantage

You can also hold a shield mid air, chug a pot and drop the shield on a rune book or spell book for an insta re-equip..it's not really an exploit or a bug..just a necessary evil and far too complex to remedy imo

Seems easy enough to fix to me... If you attempt to cast a spell that requires spell channeling while holding a non-spell channeling item, you get a message "you must disarm your weapon to cast that spell". Problem solved.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems easy enough to fix to me... If you attempt to cast a spell that requires spell channeling while holding a non-spell channeling item, you get a message "you must disarm your weapon to cast that spell". Problem solved.
I guess we can agree to disagree..but then again neither of us work on UO code and are assuming. I "assume" that equipping and de-equipping alone are much more detailed hen anyone thinks..it's not broke anyone can do it..it's not an exploit or even a bug. So either do it or don't..we don't need to give the devs any other reason to start fiddling with 15 year old code and borking stuff.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess we can agree to disagree..but then again neither of us work on UO code and are assuming. I "assume" that equipping and de-equipping alone are much more detailed hen anyone thinks..it's not broke anyone can do it..it's not an exploit or even a bug. So either do it or don't..we don't need to give the devs any other reason to start fiddling with 15 year old code and borking stuff.

It would seem to me (and I an simplifying a little bit) that the keep equipped/disarm that happens when you cast would be a fairly simple if/then statement... I mean there are only two options right? Keep the weapon in your hand or disarm it.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Easier thing would be to add the 1 second object timer if it has to drop your weapon.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would seem to me (and I an simplifying a little bit) that the keep equipped/disarm that happens when you cast would be a fairly simple if/then statement... I mean there are only two options right? Keep the weapon in your hand or disarm it.
You would think so..but based off every other issue this game has I would not be surprised if it's tied into 10 other systems. I.e. : books equipping/holding items when casting/using gates/ you're too busy to do this clilocs..most everything is coded as one big monster..it's not basic if weapon equip and spell cast drop weapon then apply timer end its far much more complex. Even free shards code which from what I hear is far more basic and categorized nicer. It isn't that easy.